• I's passionate about both

Votes: 358 63.4%

• Total voters

lakin58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: This may be a terrible, boring topic but it's what's on my mind!

I'll start this off by saying that I love to build things! I love new things and putting together a building plan and creating something new that wasn't there before. But when it comes to saltwater reef aquariums this sometimes isn't the best attribute! You can only have so many tanks and you can only have so many new builds otherwise you're always tearing down your tank and starting over.

Yesterday I was thinking about my tank and tank room build and how fun it was to put together but how I'm not very good at the "maintaining" part of keeping a reef tank. Yes it's true. The same passion I had for building isn't the same when it comes to maintaining this living breathing Eco-system. Don't get me wrong I love my reef and the inhabitants but that doesn't mean I have the same passion for maintaining the chemistry as I did for building the infrastructure. If that makes sense. The good news is that you don't have to be THE BEST at one or the other to be successful. So let's talk about that today!

1. Are you a Builder, a Maintainer, or Both?

2. What advice would you give to someone who's not especially good at maintaining a reef tank?

3. What advice would you give to someone who's not especially good at building a reef tank?

Would love to hear your overall thoughts about my ramblings here!

Reef2Reef Cartoon People.jpg

1. I chose both as at the beginning I was into building and learning what I could. Started with a 55 bow then learned enough to build a 150 into the wall of my family room. Once I determined the corals and fish my building shifted to creative ways to maintain with the least amount of work.
2. If you aren’t good at maintaining, look for Ways to build systems and techniques to lessen the load. Controllers, 2 part or CA reactor, auto top off ( both my top off to the tank and my reserve tank fill automatically), etc. you will get to know your tank and could use your build desire to lessen the maintenance poI TD that bug you. Even fish selection can cut back on some maintenance issues. I used to be involved with angioplasty. We used to say the enemy of good was better. If you worked too much you could worsen the artery. Likewise with our tanks. It comes to a point that fiddling with it too much can be worse and you need to leave it alone. Knowing that point is key.
3. If you aren’t a builder find people in your local community who are. Often they can save you many headaches. I got to the point that my electrical was a mess. Just added stuff as I went a long and never planned it out. My vacation maintenance guy offered to re wire and at the same time re plumb which cut back on extra pumps. He did a heck of a job. It was only half a day, not that costly, and it looked great and was far easier to maintain and less risk of a shock

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build 100% my favorite part. Something about just seeing something come together. I love the aquascaping phase the most. However if my stuff ever starts to actually grow I may enjoy the maintaining part more to.

vlad2spinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve seen municipal water treatment plants with less gadgets. I can’t tell if you should get an award or an intervention lol.
Really though do you have a build thread detailing all this?
Definitely intervention

Beth Villmow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: This may be a terrible, boring topic but it's what's on my mind!

I'll start this off by saying that I love to build things! I love new things and putting together a building plan and creating something new that wasn't there before. But when it comes to saltwater reef aquariums this sometimes isn't the best attribute! You can only have so many tanks and you can only have so many new builds otherwise you're always tearing down your tank and starting over.

Yesterday I was thinking about my tank and tank room build and how fun it was to put together but how I'm not very good at the "maintaining" part of keeping a reef tank. Yes it's true. The same passion I had for building isn't the same when it comes to maintaining this living breathing Eco-system. Don't get me wrong I love my reef and the inhabitants but that doesn't mean I have the same passion for maintaining the chemistry as I did for building the infrastructure. If that makes sense. The good news is that you don't have to be THE BEST at one or the other to be successful. So let's talk about that today!

2. What advice would you give to someone who's not especially good at maintaining a reef tank?

3. What advice would you give to someone who's not especially good at building a reef tank?

Would love to hear your overall thoughts about my ramblings here!

Reef2Reef Cartoon People.jpg
I think I'm probably more of a maintainer than a builder. The advice I would give on all the topics is to ask questions, ask questions, ask questions. I don't think it's possible to know too much. I'm lucky to have a fish guy that knows the answers to all my questions and problems when they arise, I'm unlucky to live 2hrs away from him!

mmatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you! my wife asked my son and I how much I had in the build and i told her that I could have done a Turbo LS swap in my 64 C10 pickup for what I have in the tank! lol I told her it was better spent on the tank cause we will be able to enjoy it every night!

Probably not once but twice. Lol

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a builder. If I can automate, so I do not have to maintain, I do.
IMG_2996.JPG
You serious Clark? :0)

That's amazing but it makes me anxious.

I do love the build, especially new DIY things whatever they may be. And the reefing hobby is a great outlet for that creative energy. But maintaining the system is also very pleasing to me. It's kind of relaxing (most of the time) to tidy up the system, make sure that everything is running properly, and the organisms are all happy. I do feel that the maintaining is what takes the most energy, and definitely the most patience.

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to contribute a build thread, so... Just waiting on some more things to come in the mail. I guess since it includes a leveled pad with marbled vinyl base for the tank and many extra steps. They always seem like necessary steps though.? RODI brought into room. Three new dedicated breakers. New tank means my tank room will now be a dedicated and “finished” Tank room in basement. Fresh air brought in from outside (special filter) to skimmer intake etc. Too much CO² from humanoids and animals. Not sure if I’m capable of one without the other. Too many variables. Need to design and build for lower maintenance and enjoyment. Then add coral. Reefers all seem to be similar in this regard. I’ve seen so many over the top engineering jobs here. Some people just come home and watch tv. Reefers build houses around their tanks. LOL

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the building part of anything. My favorite is to Rig a new boat, like reef tanks it takes a year or so. Everything has to be just right. I don't like to cram everything into a space and fight and struggle with it for the long haul. You can use both before its completion but cleaning and maintenance will slow your progress.

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting out the Reef journey, but catching myself thinking how can I build on what I already have.....so currently would say both but only time will tell

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could build, stock and aquascape tanks for a living I would! I find it alot of fun!

TILE MAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya looks like less mantainance looks like a professional did it very kool automation is the way to go

SirRoadwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am a builder for sure. I LOVED building my system. Sadly once it was built, I lost a lot of interest once things began to stabilize and there wasn't much left to do. Now, my main focus is on a model railroad, and I am considering selling off my whole system for half of what I paid for it, or less... :( (doesn't help that my income has taken a hit recently...)

Automate, buy cleaning creatures, and work to keep your running costs low!

It can take time to assemble enough components for a decent system. The biggest part that I overlooked was very good lighting. Yes you can get by with cheaper chinese stuff... for a while. But that stuff doesn't last in a salt water environment. Spend the money, and buy the good lights.

As far as the rest of the system goes. Just so long as you have some flow through your sump, and you have a routine or ATO system in place to monitor the water levels of the sump, you will be fine. Experiment, tinker... it is what the hobby is about.

Terrp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a timely topic for me. I just embarked on another rebuild, and my wife asked me why in the world I would want to do all that work. For me, it’s all about creating something beautiful that provides a happy home for my wet friends, and I hate maintenance so much that I would rather rip it all apart and rebuild it than struggle with a single minor maintenance hassle that could be eliminated. I’m sure I have put WAY more time into changing my setups for lower maintenance over the years than I have saved in maintenance. But I enjoy the planning and building a lot more, so it’s a good trade-off for me.

I’d give the same advice both to those who aren’t good builders and to those who aren’t good maintainers: research thoroughly and do every part of your build right the first time. Best research for me is build threads, BRS videos, and studying the pros and cons of different equipment options (both R2R and product descriptions and reviews), but there are lots of other great resources as well. Doing it right the first time is so important. If you don’t get the right option up front, you’ll spend lots of wasted money on replacements and upgrades. Better to save and add what’s best for you when you can afford it (or buy something used if you really need a short term option until you can afford what you need). Waiting can sometimes work to your advantage, since better options are constantly being made available.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back