AriMiko's 300DD build

AriMiko43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello everyone, I recently started a 300 gallon upgrade. I am reposting here from the other forum of my build. Let me know what you think.

Hello everyone, I would like to share with you all my 300 gallon upgrade build. I recently had a Oceanic 156 gallon tank which measured 60"w x 24"d x 25"h. I broke the tank down about 2 weeks ago and moved all livestock into 2 holding tanks that have been set up for a while, a 80 gallon frag tank and a 65 gallon RR which are both plumbed on the same sump.

This past weekend I worked on the stand and got a decent amount done with the help of a coworker. We worked day and night to get where I am at now. I built the stand out of a 2x4 bottom and a 2x6 top which measures 74"w x 38". We then supported each corner with two 2x6's which are backed by 2x4's. I then added a 2x6 offset from the center of the stand which is also backed by a 2x4 since I want 2 big doors on the left and 1 on the right. I wrapped the whole stand in 3/4" maple and I'm going to finish it with a high gloss black finish with numerous coats of polyurethane. The stand measures 36" high since it will have all equipment in the stand. I wanted it high for skimmer clearance and ease to work inside.

I will document all my work that is done from this day forward. I would appreciate any advice and compliments given. Ok so, on to the build....

Equipment

Tank - Marineland 300DD 3 sided starphire w/corner overflows
Stand - Custom black maple 74" x 38" x 36"
Lighting - DIY led fixture 60 RB & 36 CW with 2 48" t5's and 2 60" t5's
Sump - 80 gallon frag tank
Vertex 7" filter sock holder
Skimmer - SWC 230
Refugium - 29 gallon high
Pump - Reeflo dart
Apex controller
MTC Pro Cal reactor
2 TLF 550 reactors [Carbon & Gfo]
Two vortech mp40's
Two Jabeo Wp-60's
Two Jabeo Wp-40's

Environment

Mixed reef
300 lbs Tropic Eden Reefflakes
150-200 lbs of Marco,Pukani,Shelf & Branch rock [Going for a open look]

OP
OP
AriMiko43

AriMiko43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here is a preview of my aquascaping. I gave these rocks a muriatic acid bath last year and had them soaking in ro/di for months. I also used marco mortar mix to bond them together in sections, so I will know how to put them in the tank once set up. The left side is about 5 sections, the middle is all 1 section and the right is 4 sections. The tallest height of the rocks are about 16-17" so it will give me plenty of open space up top. I am also going to set all rock on egg crate cut out to match the rocks. The reason I am doing that is so the rock will sit above the sandbed and not on the glass bottom.

OP
OP
AriMiko43

AriMiko43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I got around to painting the stand but I still have to finish the doors. I also added the sand and aquascape. I am currently working on the sump which should be ready by the weekend. I am starting to fill it up since it will take a few days.

OP
OP
AriMiko43

AriMiko43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I got the sump done and drilled the side for my reeflo dart pump. I added a 2" bulkhead with a valve and union to the intake of the pump. I came off the top of the pump with a 1 1/2" pipe followed by a union then continued the 1 1/2" pipe to split 2 ways to the returns which are also on a valve. I tee'd off before the valve for the returns and added a manifold of two 1/2" valves and two 3/4" valves. The two 1/2" valves will be used the the carbon and gfo reactors and the two 3/4" valves will be used to feed my uv sterilizer and separate fuge. I have also added some top down shots of the rock. It's hard to get a good pic because I have to try and get high up because of the 3 foot width of the tank.

jason g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks amazing from the sump to the Starfish and Seashell hanging over the tank. Man I'm looking forward to seeing it all finished. Awesome!

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
def great work from sump to stand and especially that aquascape ...... following this one ........

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very impressive! you obviously know what you're doing and your work is very high quality. Love how you have that whole section dedicated to the tank! where does the tank sit in relation to the rest of the house...is that inset part of the living room, man cave? just curious.....

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you start this thread on here Ari tagging along on here also :bigsmile:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome build so far!

OP
OP
AriMiko43

AriMiko43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Time for a update and this time it has water

I have had the tank running now for a week and a half and I've been dosing Microbacter7 daily along with 2 raw shrimp in a filter bag. I am past the ammonia part of the cycle and my nitrites are peaking up. The sump is all plumbed in through a reeflo dart pump. My refugium is also plumbed in through a glass holes over flow box and overflowing back into the skimmer area of the sump. I have my skimmer in place but I am not running it yet till after the cycle is complete.

A few FTS's for you....

I installed 2 eye hooks to hang my lighting fixture from when the time comes.

The return area with the manifold for carbon, gfo and uv sterilizer. I also added a valve for whenever I need to take water from the tank for either water changes or to fill up a bag or bucket for frag dipping

Skimmer area with the fuge overflowing and the uv sterilizer.

OP
OP
AriMiko43

AriMiko43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
very impressive! you obviously know what you're doing and your work is very high quality. Love how you have that whole section dedicated to the tank! where does the tank sit in relation to the rest of the house...is that inset part of the living room, man cave? just curious.....
Thank you, It is part of the family room/man cave downstairs.

Looking good! Where's your Ato storage container going?
I am adding my ato in the room to the left of the tank which is my utility room. There is not much room in the stand left lol

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang this is awesome!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back