Artificial Reef Coral Insert?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I am toying with the idea of my 180 FOWLR having an insert. My angels eat just about any coral and I really want more color.

Anyone make this stuff or know of anywhere to get it that is not an arm and a leg and looks pretty cool? I mean I know it won't be a normal reef but figure it would help.

Thanks in advance, reefers!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instareef
I saw another one at Macna w better prices. I look for the business card.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b8c545abbb4cfc263928b2b368686ee1.jpg

2403a0f85ee8c7cb9ee6c557f75f8552.jpg

They have nice pieces at Poseidon construction
http://poseidonconstruction.com/

The piece you see in the picture is for a tank my friend Jim Stime LA fish guy had made for a customers tank. They do sell smaller pieces.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b8c545abbb4cfc263928b2b368686ee1.jpg

2403a0f85ee8c7cb9ee6c557f75f8552.jpg

They have nice pieces at Poseidon construction
http://poseidonconstruction.com/

The piece you see in the picture is for a tank my friend Jim Stime LA fish guy had made for a customers tank. They do sell smaller pieces.
Hey Ed do you Rember the guys all the way in the back corner? They sold smaller pieces so the prices would be less if you putting it on live rock. Some of the 8 and 10 in were like $15.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in request for quotes at both. Hopefully it's not an arm and a leg! :D

Priced two 180.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Where's the fish! Is that a new tank?
I totally would do a background on that.

My wife won't let me. ;)

I wanted the sunken pirate ship. :mad:

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it a slap in the face 2 call it a reef system. I'm a reefer and only keep 2 clown and a mandarin and the rest coral so all I have 2 say is negative so I digress.

image.jpg

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I'd also like 2 say that I strongly dislike artificial in a salt tank. I find it oxymoron 2 keep a salt tank and the only thing moving r fish. I also want to apologize for my strongly opiniated comment I regret posting ^^^ and can't find how 2 remove it. Sorry

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I'd also like 2 say that I strongly dislike artificial in a salt tank. I find it oxymoron 2 keep a salt tank and the only thing moving r fish. I also want to apologize for my strongly opiniated comment I regret posting ^^^ and can't find how 2 remove it. Sorry
Working on it. #mods.

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it a slap in the face 2 call it a reef system. I'm a reefer and only keep 2 clown and a mandarin and the rest coral so all I have 2 say is negative so I digress.

image.jpg
Well he did say it was a FOWLR. Don't think he ever referred to it as a "reef system" unless I missed it. I think he just wants the artificial pieces for some added color without the added work of actually keeping live corals.

Just curious, but why do you feel that it's a slap in the face to have artificial pieces in your tank?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he did say it was a FOWLR. I think he just wants the artificial pieces for some added color without the added work of actually keeping live corals.

From the stuff read a long time ago in those paper things. Artificial coral aren't just decor. It's actually for the fish. A theory in books I should Reread is they need color and texture and hideimg places to reduce stress and give them something to do.
Most of us here know what stressed fish leads too.

It's an old school technique. To keep fish healthy.

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg

Different people like the hobby for different reasons some really like the fish more then the corals........different people are looking to invest different amounts of time and money into this.
Your welcome to Not like it personally, not want such for your own tank...but slap in the face getting mad over it is just silly. Clean up your own glass tank first :p

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put different people like different things then deleted it and tried 2 remove the post but couldn't. And my glass is clean... I leave the sides and back so my fish don't feel unsafe and can hide easier. I don't wanna give em that feeling like u get when u feel ur in a fish tank. Haha. I'm a natural person and glass isn't natural in the ocean unless put there

image.png

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 189 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back