Artificial Reef Coral Insert?

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been banging my head trying to kill 2ribbon worms out of 2 live rocks, killed all pods, worm didn't come out in freshwater dip, 60 min. Just returned to dt, turned out lights now waiting, I want them gone'cause they've eaten almost all my Bristleworms, yes, I like my Bristleworms! I heavy feed my tangs and they clean-up! You should see them with tang turds!

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

This is an artificial reef I set up for my brothers office tank. It's live rock with artificial coral pieces from aqua decor.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
image.jpeg

This is an artificial reef I set up for my brothers office tank. It's live rock with artificial coral pieces from aqua decor.
Cool idea!!

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's the "rock" on a lot of the full coral inserts that let them down. If you use live or dry rock then you can scape as you like and change it when you like. I know a lot of people hate artificial coral but there is a time and place for everything. Commercial systems or fish only systems can really benefit from it.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

That's really neat!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting to the point where I am at a bit of a crossroads. With two young kids I often care for myself due to our work schedules, and both of us working full time my time I have to devote is minuscule.

I'm a fish guy first, I like cheap coral but in truth I don't have time for many reef needs nor am I remotely as savvy with coral as I am with fish. For now, I'll probably only add this to my fowlr if I do anything but I'm keeping this idea open.

When I upgrade to two larger tanks I'll be paying someone to maintain them. Life is chaos right now lol. Rather than pack up and leave the hobby for awhile I'm entertaining other ideas :)

For the record I too much prefer vibrant, natural reefs. I'm just not really able to keep them and I go through periods where time does now allow for testing, dosing, etc. I don't really do it now other than nitrates and even that I can eyeball pretty well based on my reef and fish habits and appearance.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this thread in a Google search just thought I would bump it and see if we can get the conversation going again
What where you wanting to know? I used this type of stuff when instant ocean made them back in the late 80's. They are nice you just need to buy a coupe sets of them and rotate the pieces out of the tank and keep them clean. My fried Jim Stime "LA Fish guys" has many customers that he uses these type of pieces in his installs. I just need to make sure you can clean them good.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago I bought a bunch of various fake corals for a FOWLRLS tank I maintain. They looked great the first summer, but browned out on me which some people told me they would. If they weren't in direct lighting they didn't get brown algae growth. I've tried cleaning them at times but can never get every little speck of growth out. They are cast from real skeletons so there are lots of crevices. I have bleached some and left them out in the weather and scrubbed them, but have yet to get them looking like they did. Some of the better looking ones I picked up were made of silicone and had a very realistic look. The downside to them were they floated so I had to attach them to rocks. One which was a pocillopora facsimile got a heavy growth of algae. I figured I'd bleach it...that messed it up. It did clean it and it looked great sitting outside in the sun. When I put it in the tank it took on a different color and looked more like the cheaper plastic pieces.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back