Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Emerald Crabs safe in the Nano Reef ?

You will probably find 2 kinds for sale : some with small claws and some with far larger ones. Both are herbivores and will consume hair and other algae in your tank and some consume green bubble algae and I have even read about some eating Bryopsis algae although that may have been either an impression a hobbyist got, or a behavior that is not at all typical of them.

They are considered reef safe BUT only for as long as they have algae to consume. After that their behavior can be unpredictable, and they may attack zoanthids and other life forms, so if you have one or more in your tank make sure you keep them well fed and keep an eye on them once the tank gets real low in algal growth so you do you not run into issue with them.

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert, you once mentioned you have a gravity fed ATO. I attempted one today but the float valve won't fit. How did you do your ATO?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert, you once mentioned you have a gravity fed ATO. I attempted one today but the float valve won't fit. How did you do your ATO?

It is gravity fed. I do not use a float valve. The end of the airline tubing from the reserve container is positioned in such a way that the end of it just touches the water level. When evaporation lowers the level the tubing is out of the water and water will then flow from the container into the tank till the tubing is touching the water level again, which stops the flow. All you need to make sure is that the container you use is sturdy and cannot collapse as in that case the flow would not stop. It is sort of based on the same principle of how water coolers used in offices work. When the tubing is out of the water air can enter it and that lets water flow out but when the tubing touches the water in the tank, the flow will stop. When water is added you will see air rise into the container form time to time as water comes out of it.

Sounds complicated but it really is not. if you have a lot of evaporation use a larger container so you do not have to refill it that often. All you have to make sure is that the container is air tight and cannot collapse on itself and it will work as described above.

If you need more info just let me know.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to the Publisher of my new book "Nano-Reef Aquariums" again today, and the release date for the book is set for March 11 give or take a few days.

The pre-publication price is still available so you can still order at the reduced price of $25.00 + 3.50 in shipping if you wish to get the book, the free e-version and the free 25 issues of the Marine Reef Newsletter. The pre-pub price will go up as we get closer to the release date, and the next increase will be in a few days. You can find more info by clicking on the image in my signature.

Just wanted to update everyone on the Book status.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great news Albert. I am looking forward to getting my copy and having all that information at my fingertips!!!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great news Albert. I am looking forward to getting my copy and having all that information at my fingertips!!!

You are welcome. Around May 5 I will send out an email to all who pre-ordered to find out what e-version they wish to receive besides the printed copy of course. Alternatively you can email me which one you wish .. Kindle, PDF, iPad, Nook etc. Send it to the same email that you use to make the payment. Thanks.

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added live stock but I haven't seen them in days. My lights haven't arrived yet so bright light isn't the issue. They haven't jumped and they aren't in the sumps. I haven't seen them at feeding time either I've tried both frozen and flake. I know they have to be in there but I thought I would've seen something by now. My water parameters seem fine.

Live stock:
pistol shrimp
Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)
Hi Fin Red Banded Goby (Stonogobiops nematodes)

Any ideas?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while ago someone asked me what I used to clean the glass in my aquarum when it needs to be cleaned (not often because I use an Oxydator) .. but what I use is the Magic Eraser (pic below) which you can get in a two pack at your supermarket.

Rinse it well under hot water the first time you use it. Once you have cleaned the glass inside and outside you can rinse it again and let it dry and reuse it. It is non-toxic and really cleans the glass very well. For calcareous algae however you will still need a razor blade. And on the Magic Eraser / Sponge ... there are 4 kinds but ONLY the Original and the Extra Power are OK to use in the tank as the other two have other additives in it that are not aquarium safe. I have used them for months and months and never had any issues with using them. But the fist time rinse it well so your skimmer does not start producing wet foam (the same applies to filter floss - rinse it under hot water and you will not get wet foam from your skimmer

mr_clean.png

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added live stock but I haven't seen them in days. My lights haven't arrived yet so bright light isn't the issue. They haven't jumped and they aren't in the sumps. I haven't seen them at feeding time either I've tried both frozen and flake. I know they have to be in there but I thought I would've seen something by now. My water parameters seem fine.
Live stock:
pistol shrimp
Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)
Hi Fin Red Banded Goby (Stonogobiops nematodes)
Any ideas?

The Yellow Rose Goby ( S. nematodes) is a very shy fish and will go in hiding underneath a rock or in a crevice under a rock and stay in hiding sometimes for a long time and if there are other fish in the tank that are semi aggressive you may never see it. It may come out a night to feed when you don't see it but it is not a fish that is out in the open most of the time on the contrary.

The Purple Firefish us usually not an aggressive fish but it IS a jumper and will find any opening at the top and get out of the tank .. you may not have found it but I would look around the aquarium on the floor and behind the tank if it is against a wall. They do take time to get accustomed to the tank so it may still be in hiding but that is not its normal behavior as it is usually out in the open.

The Pistol shirimp associates with may Gobies and in particular witth the one you have so both of them may be in hiding .. but it's a snapping shrimp so you should hear the noise it makes if it is there but one thing that often happens when a shrimp is put in a new tank is that it molts and when that happens you may not see it for 4 or more days till it builds a new carapace.

So it is a bit of a mystery ... the Firefish may have jumped and the other two could be in hiding still or the shrimp molted and is hiding for that reason and the Yellow Rose Goby is doing its thing which is stay out of sight.

About the only thing I can suggest is give it another day or so and see whether any of them come out ... and keep me updated pls And do check around the tank in the event that the Firefish did jump which if there is no cover on the tank is IMO highly likely.

You could move the rocks around in the tank and see whether any of the fish can then be seen but realize that you need to do so carefully as moving rocks may stress the fish ... and if you see the Firefish and you do not have a cover over the tank you should put one on and make sure there are NO openings, not even small ones as if there is one the fish will find it.

Hope this helps and do give me an update. Thanks

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yellow Rose Goby ( S. nematodes) is a very shy fish and will go in hiding underneath a rock or in a crevice under a rock and stay in hiding sometimes for a long time and if there are other fish in the tank that are semi aggressive you may never see it. It may come out a night to feed when you don't see it but it is not a fish that is out in the open most of the time on the contrary.

The Purple Firefish us usually not an aggressive fish but it IS a jumper and will find any opening at the top and get out of the tank .. you may not have found it but I would look around the aquarium on the floor and behind the tank if it is against a wall. They do take time to get accustomed to the tank so it may still be in hiding but that is not its normal behavior as it is usually out in the open.

The Pistol shirimp associates with may Gobies and in particular witth the one you have so both of them may be in hiding .. but it's a snapping shrimp so you should hear the noise it makes if it is there but one thing that often happens when a shrimp is put in a new tank is that it molts and when that happens you may not see it for 4 or more days till it builds a new carapace.

So it is a bit of a mystery ... the Firefish may have jumped and the other two could be in hiding still or the shrimp molted and is hiding for that reason and the Yellow Rose Goby is doing its thing which is stay out of sight.

About the only thing I can suggest is give it another day or so and see whether any of them come out ... and keep me updated pls And do check around the tank in the event that the Firefish did jump which if there is no cover on the tank is IMO highly likely.

You could move the rocks around in the tank and see whether any of the fish can then be seen but realize that you need to do so carefully as moving rocks may stress the fish ... and if you see the Firefish and you do not have a cover over the tank you should put one on and make sure there are NO openings, not even small ones as if there is one the fish will find it.

Hope this helps and do give me an update. Thanks

I'm checking the sump and the floor daily but no sign of the fish. Nothing aggressive in my tank. I don't plan on adding aggressive but I'm not adding anything else in case the kids get Nemo fever.

The rear of the canopy is open but he'd have to jump past the overflow and the tank is in a corner. It's possible the fire fish jumped and the cats got him but he disappeared the second I added him to the tank.

I'll keep feeding the tank and hoping to see the fish. I rushed addin the firefish because the other goby was is hiding so much. I've had a yellow watchman goby in the past and I was hoping their behaviors would be similar.

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to keep my hands out of the tank but I dug around looking for the fish. I found the purple fire fish hiding in the rock work. I'm sure the goby and pistol shrimp have to be in there somewhere.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm checking the sump and the floor daily but no sign of the fish. Nothing aggressive in my tank. I don't plan on adding aggressive but I'm not adding anything else in case the kids get Nemo fever.

The rear of the canopy is open but he'd have to jump past the overflow and the tank is in a corner. It's possible the fire fish jumped and the cats got him but he disappeared the second I added him to the tank.
I'll keep feeding the tank and hoping to see the fish. I rushed addin the firefish because the other goby was is hiding so much. I've had a yellow watchman goby in the past and I was hoping their behaviors would be similar.

It is odd indeed that you cannot find any of them .. two could be in hiding but the Firefish should be out in the open so even though I cannot be sure he may have jumped and the cat found him, that is a possibility indeed.

You could remove some rocks and put them in a bucket with tank SW and a bubbler and as there is less rock keep checking and maybe you will see the goby and the shrimp, not sure but it is worth a try as 3 fish disappearing is somewhat of an unusual occurrence indeed ...

Do keep me posted .. thanks.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to keep my hands out of the tank but I dug around looking for the fish. I found the purple fire fish hiding in the rock work. I'm sure the goby and pistol shrimp have to be in there somewhere.

Well that is good news and yes the shrimp and the goby are probably in a cave or crevice at the bottom of the rock and may have dug a little burrow and if they did it at the back of the tank they may be hard to see ... and once they have a safe place they will stay there and only come out for food but if they are in the back they will wait for it to flow to that area. The only way around that is to re-scape and hope that they find a spot in the front of the tank and you can set the rock up in such a way that there is one. But when you do so they may stay out of sight for a few days again.

Mind you they will feed but probably when the lights are out .. if you figure out where they are you can do some spot feeding in that area.

Hopefully you will find them as I too think they are in there just not coming out of their cave or crevice or burrow for now .. mind you the YRG is a very shy one and hides most of the time. I have one and see it maybe every couple of days for a split second when I feed and it dashes in and out of it hiding spot at an alarming speed.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back