Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on a fish that will be more out in the open? The two that I've researched and picked so far are shy!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not keep firefish for any length of time because my tank is not covered and virtually every one of the 672 firefish I put in there jumped out. I may be off with that number by 660 or so.

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not keep firefish for any length of time because my tank is not covered and virtually every one of the 672 firefish I put in there jumped out. I may be off with that number by 660 or so.

I'm inching to add anything that moves at this point. If I buy another fish it'll probably hide also.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on a fish that will be more out in the open? The two that I've researched and picked so far are shy!

Look up Citron Goby and also Clown Gobies if you do not have SPS corals in the tank. An other one would be a Bicolor Blenny. They all stay in the open and are not known jumpers.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pity you can't put a net over the tank to prevent them from jumping ... or just a glass or acrylic frame that is slanted inwards so if the fish jumps it slides back in the tank. 3.5 or so inches wide on all sides and lays on top of the tank's frame.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm inching to add anything that moves at this point. If I buy another fish it'll probably hide also.

Not really there are plenty that will not jump. Try the ones I suggested as they swim around and do not hide and do not jump either. The Blenny likes a barnacle shell that it can go into from time to time, or if not that one something similar.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. Not off by much eh?

That's Paul for you ... always manages to keep it interesting and funny. Sometimes he'll make me laugh out loud when I read some of his posts and my wife looks at me, like "what going on with you"

Xrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to place the fish in another tank and treat only for as long as the product you use says. Then you just run the tank as a normal tank. And no whatever is still in the tank will not transfer to your corals. All you need to do is get all the fish out of the main tank as explained. Keep running the tank with the corals as you do now. So you will have the fish in one tank and the corals on the other.

Albert thanks for the reply and sorry for not getting back quick enough. I am planning to start a quarantine tank this week as so to transfer all my fish there and treat them . Can you guide me on a link that explaines how to truly setup a small quarantine tank. I have googled it and find all kinds of information so your guidance as an expert will shortly help. If you have a link where it is already explained that would suffice

Jose

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before going any further do tell me are any of your other fish showing any signs of having contracted what you saw on the one that passed away ? If not and since a few days have gone by now it may not be needed but if the other fish are behaving oddly or show signs of having possibly contracted that white film/spots then yes you would need to do so.

So before you set one up let me know how the other ones are doing, and let me see if I can find a link for you

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert thanks for the reply and sorry for not getting back quick enough. I am planning to start a quarantine tank this week as so to transfer all my fish there and treat them . Can you guide me on a link that explaines how to truly setup a small quarantine tank. I have googled it and find all kinds of information so your guidance as an expert will shortly help. If you have a link where it is already explained that would suffice
Jose
Here are some links that give you a good deal of info : there is a lot of reading but as I said let me know how they other fish are doing ...

Quarantining Your Fish by Andrew Trevor-Jones - Reefkeeping.com
How to set up a quarantine tank | Features | Practical Fishkeeping
Quarantine
How To Set Up a Fish Quarantine Tank
How to Setup a Quarantine Tank by Daniel S., MarineDepot.com Reef Squad
Aquarium Set-up & Acclimation: The Importance of a Quarantine Tank
A Proper Quarantine Tank Setup

and videos
How to Set Up a Quarantine Tank and Why - YouTube
Saltwater Aquarium Setup - The Quarantine Tank (2) - YouTube

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano-Reef Aquariums Book Update :

As of this morning we are still looking at the book being available on March 11 or 12 based on my last conversation with the Publisher. The Pre-publication price of $25 + shipping is still available for a few days so if you wish to get the book at the low price and the freebies that come with it, you should order now before the price goes up.

Click in the image in my sig for ordering information and for what is included in the book ... (a quick overview)

The next increase in the pre-pub price will go into effect in a day or two and will go up by another $5 so don't miss out on the current low price.

And thanks for your support.

Xrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before going any further do tell me are any of your other fish showing any signs of having contracted what you saw on the one that passed away ? If not and since a few days have gone by now it may not be needed but if the other fish are behaving oddly or show signs of having possibly contracted that white film/spots then yes you would need to do so.

So before you set one up let me know how the other ones are doing, and let me see if I can find a link for you

dear Albert. all fish seem ok. Are all happy eating and swimming normally. breathing normally. So i would think they are all ok. The yellow tang was only in the tank for 2 days. Maybe that helped.
So normally when a fish gets ich, is there a statistcs thats says what percentage of other fish will also get it? Or most of the time the rest get it or most of the time none of the other fish get it?
Well anyway thanks for the links. I think even if it was not now, i need to start building my quarantine tank right?
Thanks again
Jose

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pity you can't put a net over the tank to prevent them from jumping ... or just a glass or acrylic frame that is slanted inwards so if the fish jumps it slides back in the tank. 3.5 or so inches wide on all sides and lays on top of the tank's frame.

They sometimes jump into my algae trough I have on top of the tank but they manage to slither back into the water.

I was thinking of laying flourescent bulbs on the gravel of my tank, that will confuse the fish and they won't know which way to jump.
I could start a fertilizer company with the bodies of all the firefish that have jumped out. The good thing about firefish is that after they jump out and dry up, you could strike them on the sidewalk and use them like a match. Thats how they got that name. Or maybe there was another reason.
I also had a couple of long nose buterflies jump out and a couple of copperbands.
Jumping is not a sign of poor health, did you ever see a sick pole vaulter? Jumping is a healthy sign, unfotunately that healthy condition only lasts until they hit the floor then it is all downhill from there. :tsk:

Here are some octopus I hatched, They are not blue ringed and I have no idea what type they are except I call them appitizers. I fed these brine shrimp which were about the same size. They would graba shrimp and wrestle while they inked. They reminded me of the scene in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea when Kirk Douglas fought the giant squid on the Nautilis. But if you don't see that on the big screen it loses something, especially if you watch it on an I Phone. Very cool.

octopus.jpg

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dear Albert. all fish seem ok. Are all happy eating and swimming normally. breathing normally. So i would think they are all ok. The yellow tang was only in the tank for 2 days. Maybe that helped.
So normally when a fish gets ich, is there a statistcs thats says what percentage of other fish will also get it? Or most of the time the rest get it or most of the time none of the other fish get it?
Well anyway thanks for the links. I think even if it was not now, i need to start building my quarantine tank right?
Thanks again
Jose

Yes it would appear that your fish are OK based on what you write so you may not need to treat them for very long, but to be on the safe side giving them a dip maybe for 45 minutes or so would not be a bad idea and setting up a QT tank maybe a week or so before you are going to add new fish would IMO be a good idea as well.

As for the dip you can use several products that are intended to do a quick treatment. Check your local fish store as there are plenty and follow the instructions on the label. You are doing a preventative treatment since the fish do not seem to have any disease right now so a mild treatment product should be OK.

Xrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it would appear that your fish are OK based on what you write so you may not need to treat them for very long, but to be on the safe side giving them a dip maybe for 45 minutes or so would not be a bad idea and setting up a QT tank maybe a week or so before you are going to add new fish would IMO be a good idea as well.

As for the dip you can use several products that are intended to do a quick treatment. Check your local fish store as there are plenty and follow the instructions on the label. You are doing a preventative treatment since the fish do not seem to have any disease right now so a mild treatment product should be OK.

Awesome Albert. Thanks a lot.!
I have gone ahead and bought your book. Sent money by Paypal. Please check if everything is ok and send to the Miami address please! Looking forward to reading it, so please send the digital version to me ASAP by email :)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sometimes jump into my algae trough I have on top of the tank but they manage to slither back into the water.

I was thinking of laying flourescent bulbs on the gravel of my tank, that will confuse the fish and they won't know which way to jump.
I could start a fertilizer company with the bodies of all the firefish that have jumped out. The good thing about firefish is that after they jump out and dry up, you could strike them on the sidewalk and use them like a match. Thats how they got that name. Or maybe there was another reason.
I also had a couple of long nose buterflies jump out and a couple of copperbands.
Jumping is not a sign of poor health, did you ever see a sick pole vaulter? Jumping is a healthy sign, unfotunately that healthy condition only lasts until they hit the floor then it is all downhill from there. :tsk:

Here are some octopus I hatched, They are not blue ringed and I have no idea what type they are except I call them appitizers. I fed these brine shrimp which were about the same size. They would graba shrimp and wrestle while they inked. They reminded me of the scene in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea when Kirk Douglas fought the giant squid on the Nautilis. But if you don't see that on the big screen it loses something, especially if you watch it on an I Phone. Very cool.

octopus.jpg

Now that would be something indeed Paul, watertight lights on the bottom to confuse them ... and you could use red and green ones to tell them when it is ok to jump :)

Yes they have to be in good health indeed or they would not be able to jump high and out of the tank but it is also a sign that maybe they don't like something or that they are being chased or maybe you got the flying kind :) or maybe they were trying to catch a fly :) who knows why they really jump and since you cannot ask them that is a problem indeed. I still think that the acrylic frame I suggested may be a solution for you as if you keep having jumpers pretty soon you'll get to 31 like Baskin Robbins or 57 like Heinz ..

And on the Octopi ... nice ... like it a lot ... poor things though if they were the appetizers ...

On on the movie ... I think I read all of Jules Verne's books and that one was a real good one indeed and although I have seen the movie it is so long ago I can;t remember the scene.

Jules V. certainly was THE inventor with all the stuff he came up with before it even existed ... like that new car of yours that you showed !

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back