Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Albert. Thanks a lot.!
I have gone ahead and bought your book. Sent money by Paypal. Please check if everything is ok and send to the Miami address please! Looking forward to reading it, so please send the digital version to me ASAP by email :)

Thanks and will do and send you an email confirmation as soon as the money comes in ... I appreciate the support.

And if you need more advice on the treatments don't hesitate to ask.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they have to be in good health indeed or they would not be able to jump high and out of the tank but it is also a sign that maybe they don't like something

Maybe they just like something they saw on the outside of the tank. My house is very interesting with all sorts of fun stuff in my workshop.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they just like something they saw on the outside of the tank. My house is very interesting with all sorts of fun stuff in my workshop.

Forgot all about that .. true ... they wanted to get to your California Blackworm farm and have a banquet meal Paul !

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Albert. Thanks a lot.!
I have gone ahead and bought your book. Sent money by Paypal. Please check if everything is ok and send to the Miami address please! Looking forward to reading it, so please send the digital version to me ASAP by email :)

Thanks for the support and the payment came in and I sent you a confirmation email ... I appreciate it. Digital version as soon as it is available .... TKS

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now Here is a good Looking Coral for you ...

PureReefff.png

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a question from a Member about keeping Pygmy Angels in Nano Reef Tanks ... it can be done but you need to carefully select to one you will add to your tank. Below are 2 links that I posted before but that the member will I hope be able to use to find the ones that can be kept in his/her nano. The links were posted and can also be found by using the search function of the Forum

Centropyge angel dwarf angelfish pygmy angels resplendent debelius nahachyi

The Pygmy Angelfishes by James Fatherree - Reefkeeping.com

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Helper early this morning ... and this one does so every morning right after I feed him and he finishes eating :

helpwrite.png

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. My cat Wilson lets me know every morning which fish he would like to have for breakfast!!. He will stare at my Son's tank for hours until he finally falls asleep.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. My cat Wilson lets me know every morning which fish he would like to have for breakfast!!. He will stare at my Son's tank for hours until he finally falls asleep.
Cute indeed. And my usual helper is sitting right next to me after having had his morning meal (real early today for that matter)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link for a real good Guide to Hitchhikers good and bad .. and if you join them they have lots of other good info as well. In fact as I was checking their listing of no so good HH's and compared it to what I have in my New Book, they had all the ones that I list except for two and those two are not that commonly found in our Reef tanks, meaning their list is really complete, and for some they have further clickable links that give even more info.

LionfishLair.com - Hitchhiker Guide to your Aquarium

ReeberAFSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently looking to do a 24g nano, I plan to keep a pair of snowflakes and a ring of fire rock anemone. That's all I have planned for livestock, and perhaps an engineer goby. Aside from that, it'll be an LPS tank supporting various softies, zoas, and shrooms. I also plan to go as exotic and bright as possible. Would LEDs, or 4X 36W (2x 12000K, 2x actinic) be better?

Orion120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Albert,

I just purchased a new Kessil A150w for my nano. It's a definitely more powerful than my previous LEDs. Any advice on how to acclimate my corals to the new light?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently looking to do a 24g nano, I plan to keep a pair of snowflakes and a ring of fire rock anemone. That's all I have planned for livestock, and perhaps an engineer goby. Aside from that, it'll be an LPS tank supporting various softies, zoas, and shrooms. I also plan to go as exotic and bright as possible. Would LEDs, or 4X 36W (2x 12000K, 2x actinic) be better?

Either or would be fine but you if you go LED then match the specs of the 2 12K an the 2 actinics, but those should be fine too since you are not keeping SPS corals. Which LED were you considering getting ?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Albert,

I just purchased a new Kessil A150w for my nano. It's a definitely more powerful than my previous LEDs. Any advice on how to acclimate my corals to the new light?

Shield them from the light with maybe a light reducing covers over the tank and then gradually remove layers to give the corals more light and slowly acclimate them would be best. Any light shielding covers should be fine and I have seen some use very lightly tinted acrylic panels and using 3 or 4 to begin with and then 3, and then 2, etc ... or you can to it with tinted glass. Just keep ti clean on the side closest to the water in the tank as it will get covered with salt and you will need to clean that off. How man panels to use really depends on how much more light there is now versus before. The other option is moving the corals out of the full light intensity but that is usually not that easy to do ...

Reefermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert I am curious as to your opinion on skimmers that are sized too big for the aquarium. I currently have a 135 cube that I have a SRO 2000 cone skimmer and a calcium reactor also sized accordingly . I have been contemplating a downsize to a 40 breeder only because of the shear depth of the cube ( 40w x36d x 24t ) the stand is like 4' x 4' . Just curious your thoughts on the equipment I have being used on a 40 breeder while I contemplate the downsize. I am concerned these two items may never stabilize in this small water volume and yield inconsistent results.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert I am curious as to your opinion on skimmers that are sized too big for the aquarium. I currently have a 135 cube that I have a SRO 2000 cone skimmer and a calcium reactor also sized accordingly . I have been contemplating a downsize to a 40 breeder only because of the shear depth of the cube ( 40w x36d x 24t ) the stand is like 4' x 4' . Just curious your thoughts on the equipment I have being used on a 40 breeder while I contemplate the downsize. I am concerned these two items may never stabilize in this small water volume and yield inconsistent results.

I don't think it will be a problem as the skimmer can only remove as much as there is to remove, but let me give this some more thought. I have to run an errand and won't be back for about 2 hours or so and will get back to you later

Orion120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shield them from the light with maybe a light reducing covers over the tank and then gradually remove layers to give the corals more light and slowly acclimate them would be best. Any light shielding covers should be fine and I have seen some use very lightly tinted acrylic panels and using 3 or 4 to begin with and then 3, and then 2, etc ... or you can to it with tinted glass. Just keep ti clean on the side closest to the water in the tank as it will get covered with salt and you will need to clean that off. How man panels to use really depends on how much more light there is now versus before. The other option is moving the corals out of the full light intensity but that is usually not that easy to do ...

Excellent idea. I actually have some extra window screen laying around, and I think I'll use layers of that.
How do you know if your corals are getting too much light?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMO you will be ok as I have often used skimmers that are sized for 3x the size of the aquarium I was running them. The only think you will need to make sure it that tie current coming back from the skimmer is well dispersed over the entire aquarium and not aimed at one particular spot and you can do do with putting a cap on the return size what is perforated and spread the water out in various directions and does not end up creating a laminar flow.

And on the calcium reactor you will need to adjust the output and amount of outflow to a lower level so you do not raise your calcium levels too high. If it runs on CO2 which I assume it does lower the amount of CO2 going into the reactor to diminish the calcium going into the tank and also to make sure that no CO2 gets into the tank. Watch your pH of course. If you are running it with a controller then the setting for the pH on the controller should do that automatically for you as it will close the solenoid valve so no CO2 can get through when the pH s at the level you want it at.

What some do if no controller is used is run the output of the reactor through a second one so that any residual CO2 is neutralized in that second reactor.

Hope this helps but if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask them.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back