Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

Xrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Albert.
The tank is a 25 gall 60cm x 40cm x 40cm
for now i am just going to quarantine my fishes but i got this 25 so i could quarantine almost anything. So maybe get the clip on AND both lights?
Which ones would you recommend knowing this info?

Well you don't really need all that much light over a QT tank .. How large is it ... ? What you can use are those CFT/CFL spiral bulbs and put them in one of those round clip-on type shop lights and that should be just fine. All Big Box DIY stores sell both the fixture and the light and if you have any coral or similar in there get the 6500 K ones. They have them in various watt strengths up to 100 watt equivalent, but how much you use depends on what is in the tank and how large it is.

Hopefully this helps but if you have more questions do not hesitate to post them here on this thread

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Albert.
The tank is a 25 gall 60cm x 40cm x 40cm
for now i am just going to quarantine my fishes but i got this 25 so i could quarantine almost anything. So maybe get the clip on AND both lights?
Which ones would you recommend knowing this info?

For a quarantine tank all you will need is 1 of the CFL/CFT lights IMO ... and on the a 25 gallon if you get the 23 watt (100 watt equivalent) you will be fine. 1 for 25 gallons is plenty unless you have corals in there that really need more light in which case you could put two of them using those clip-on shop light fixtures that you screw the bulb into.

Xrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a quarantine tank all you will need is 1 of the CFL/CFT lights IMO ... and on the a 25 gallon if you get the 23 watt (100 watt equivalent) you will be fine. 1 for 25 gallons is plenty unless you have corals in there that really need more light in which case you could put two of them using those clip-on shop light fixtures that you screw the bulb into.

awesome Albert thanks alot as always

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome Albert thanks alot as always

With pleasure and if you have other questions just let me know ...

------------
Book is still on target for release on March 11 or 12 depending on when I get them from the printer.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this?

Albert do you have any thoughts on what this is? The dark part is a hair (from one of the dogs I assume) but what is wrapped around it? I still have a piece of shrimp in the tank for ammonia. The tank has been up and running for about 1-1/2 weeks total. The first 3 days or so I had the power heads running and I was working on a few issues with the plumbing. I didn't add anything to start the cycle until maybe Feb 13th by adding a couple of pinches of flake food. Then on Feb 15th I stopped the flake food and changed to using a piece of cooked jumbo shrimp.

WisT_72.jpg

WisT_73.jpg

WisT_74.jpg

Thanks.
TW

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert do you have any thoughts on what this is? The dark part is a hair (from one of the dogs I assume) but what is wrapped around it? I still have a piece of shrimp in the tank for ammonia. The tank has been up and running for about 1-1/2 weeks total. The first 3 days or so I had the power heads running and I was working on a few issues with the plumbing. I didn't add anything to start the cycle until maybe Feb 13th by adding a couple of pinches of flake food. Then on Feb 15th I stopped the flake food and changed to using a piece of cooked jumbo shrimp.
Thanks.
TW

Looks like the feeders of a spaghetti worm but it is hard to tell, but given that you rock was not live rock I wonder how that would have gotten into your tank unless you have live sand and it came in that way.

It certainly did not come from the flake food or the piece of shrimp. Is there anything else live that you put in that tank.

Does not look like a hydroid or a colonial one and I would not know how it would have gotten in the tank if it is. Just keep an eye on it for now as when the cycle progresses it may disappear or die off if it is subjected to a lot of nitrite.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it came in with the sand? I used Carib-Sea Aragonite sand but it wasn't the kind that came with water in it.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it came in with the sand? I used Carib-Sea Aragonite sand but it wasn't the kind that came with water in it.

That is a possibility as that sand actually does contain moisture but not when you buy it but I found that if you let it warm up above a certain temperature that everything inside because somewhat liquid and so there can indeed be some life forms in there that we consider HH's. Not sure though what exactly it is so keep an eye on it and see whether it actually does anything,, like move its tentacles or retract them when you moves something close to it like a net or something similar.

Note though that during a cycle there is a lot of life forms that appear an then disappear as the cycle progresses so it may not be around in a few days or weeks.

Let me know what it does if anything and maybe we can figure it out. I would say spaghetti worm or similar at this point but time will tell so keep me posted. Thanks.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pre Publication price for my New Book is still $25 but is going up to $30.00 on 2/25 so order today or on 2/24 to save that extra $5.00

For ordering instructions click on the image in my signature ... Thanks for your support

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free Marine Fish Database with info on them for iPhones and Android

Although it is called POTO when you search for it on the App store for iPhone you need to search for Galasee. Not sure what it is on Android. Neat little App, and FREE, and you can click on the picture to enlarge it, or on a category and a number of pictures, or on the name of the fish to get a lot of info about that particular one. Easy to navigate.

Xrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine Tank

Thanks for the app on iphone!
Albert just wanted to show you my Quarantine tank thanks to all your suggestions. Just set it up. This will be the one i will be using for my nano tang AND for the 200 gallon one i will be soon building.
QT1.jpg
QT2.jpg

What you think? :)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the app on iphone!
Albert just wanted to show you my Quarantine tank thanks to all your suggestions. Just set it up. This will be the one i will be using for my nano tang AND for the 200 gallon one i will be soon building.
What you think? :)

Thanks for the update and nicely done on those QT tanks. These are just going to be plain QT tanks correct not sumps? If they are used as QT only then I think they are just fine. All I would add is that you need two sets of tank tools and that you mark them so you know for which tank they are so you do not use say a net or whatever that was for tank #1 on tank #2 or vice-versa as that is how disease, parasites and whatever else can be transferred. The same goes for anything else you use in the water of each of those tanks. Keep two sets.

And NP on the App ... I downloaded it but have not had much time to look at it yet, looking at it quickly though it looks interesting esepcially since the info page says that it will be regular updated with new and more info.

Thanks for the update on your tanks

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what the white, furry stuff is? It's growing on a couple rocks. I hope it's not hair algae. I don't have my lights yet so it's just getting indirect light from the window and the room.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1361969505.483780.jpg

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1361969517.834665.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what the white, furry stuff is? It's growing on a couple rocks. I hope it's not hair algae. I don't have my lights yet so it's just getting indirect light from the window and the room.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1361969505.483780.jpg

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1361969517.834665.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Does not look like algae and if the tank is cycling it may just be a dinoflagellate growth that will go away but it seems a bit long for dinos and I do not see any air bubbles underneath it either so it probably is not. During a cycle you get all kind of growths that disappear as the cycle progresses, so keep an eye on it.

I do not think that they are hydroids either based on how they are growing ...

How do they feel to the touch and do they retract when there is movement around them or to they just say the way they are? Can you get a real close up pic of them maybe ... My best guess at this point is that it is a sponge and those often appear during the cycle but they usually do not make it through it, although some do, For now I would not worry about it but do keep an eye on it and keep me posted will you

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 56 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back