Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's soft like hair algae but almost white.

I added my other powerhead this morning. They are pointing directly at each other just under the overflow. I like the new flow pattern. It swirls around the rock formations now. Before it swirled around the outer edges of the tank.

My goby comes out and seems happy. I still haven't seen the firefish inside or outside the tank. Maybe I'll dig around the rock structures again.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's soft like hair algae but almost white.
I added my other powerhead this morning. They are pointing directly at each other just under the overflow. I like the new flow pattern. It swirls around the rock formations now. Before it swirled around the outer edges of the tank.
My goby comes out and seems happy. I still haven't seen the firefish inside or outside the tank. Maybe I'll dig around the rock structures again.

If it is white I suspect it is not an algae but some other kind of growth ... is it spreading or is it remaining in the areas where you now have it? Also does it come loose easily ?

Glad you like the new flow pattern, that is sort of what I do, I aim that so they break each one's current up as well which makes for a better flow all around the tank, so that worked for you too apparently which is good indeed.

Sorry you still have not seen that firefish. That has been for a few days now so I am wondering whether he did jump after all ... hiding for that long is not quite what they mormally do. A day or two, yes, but not much longer than that and often not even that long. Hope you find it but if you do not then my suspicion is that it somehow got out of the tank.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is the last day that you can order the Nano-Reef Aquarium book at $25 + you get all the freebies. At midnight today the price goes up to $30.

Check : NanoReefAquariumsOrdering for info and ordering instructions if you wish to get the book at the pre-pub price before it goes up. Release date is still tentatively scheduled for 3/11. Thanks for your interest.

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about either adding the Korilla smart wave maker or just adding one or both power heads to my light timer. Does lowering flow rate at night help?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about either adding the Korilla smart wave maker or just adding one or both power heads to my light timer. Does lowering flow rate at night help?

No need to change the f;ow rate at night all you need to achieve is creating an as irregular flow in the tank as you can .. that is what happens on the reef and that is what wse ll try to duplicate really.

Betroc2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 28 gal. JBJ what size and how many cir. jets would I need for a sps and lps tank? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Tyvm:smile:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 28 gal. JBJ what size and how many cir. jets would I need for a sps and lps tank? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Tyvm:smile:

Sorry, only just saw this message this morning. Not sure how I missed it. For that 28 with SPS it think you will need 3 of them that create good turbulent water motion throughout the tank, you can probably just use the Korallia ones, 3 of them and position them so there is plenty of good current everywhere, but if you have corals that only need slow flow, or polyps, or rice, then make sure you have an area that has slower flow as those do not like too high flow rates. I have a 20 G with LPS, SPS, and rice and mushrooms and use 3 as well but have one area of the tank where the flow is moderate and that is were the R. florida and the R. yumas are, and then next to it I have sort of a cave like area and that is where my Zoas and Palys are.

The Yumas has thrown off babies, the S'hroom has budded off 6 more so I now have a large one + 6 small ones, and the R. florida now has 3 mouths and it looks like a 4th one may be coming.

Albert

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the book :

The proof copy was given to me two days ago and unfortunately I had to reject it because the index listing was totally messed up, as the page numbers listed were no longer the correct ones for some reason. The printer's software modified the last two sections of the book, kind of odd as all other sections came out just fine and as they should have. The printer is now trying to figure out what happened and why their software did not render my mansuscript correctly as the bibliograph was also out of order (sentence like, rather than each listing on its own line).

I will be getting an update from them this morning as they are open till noon on Saturday. At that point I will know the new release date.

In the meantime the pre-order price and the free goodies are all still available. Click on the image in my signature for details and ordering info.

AND to MAKE UP for the delay, all who have pre-orderd and pre-order till March 17 incl. will received not a 1 year free subscription to the Marine Reef Newsletter, but a 2 year free subscription (50 issues).

That is a $24.99 value for free added to the real great and low price for the book that you can already get (and you also get a free version of the e-book, another $27.99 freebie ... so the $27.50 pre-order price for the book (450 pages .. over 280 color pictures) is a great deal indeed. Apolgies for the delay but it is one that is totally out of my control.

More info this morning after I hear from the Printers. Thanks for your support and you can still order at the pre-pub price !

Albert

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not look like algae and if the tank is cycling it may just be a dinoflagellate growth that will go away but it seems a bit long for dinos and I do not see any air bubbles underneath it either so it probably is not. During a cycle you get all kind of growths that disappear as the cycle progresses, so keep an eye on it.

I do not think that they are hydroids either based on how they are growing ...

How do they feel to the touch and do they retract when there is movement around them or to they just say the way they are? Can you get a real close up pic of them maybe ... My best guess at this point is that it is a sponge and those often appear during the cycle but they usually do not make it through it, although some do, For now I would not worry about it but do keep an eye on it and keep me posted will you

There were thin white worms on the rocks when I first got them. I think the worms and growing and putting out mouths to filter feed. My lights just got here so I'll try to send a picture soon.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were thin white worms on the rocks when I first got them. I think the worms and growing and putting out mouths to filter feed. My lights just got here so I'll try to send a picture soon.

Sounds like they are tiny serpulid worms which are filter feeders and are fine ... Yes pls do post a picture when you can ... but they sound OK to me

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back