Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

tinman01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The levels are low for the AM and for the PM they are on the low side ... I am wondering if it is due to excess CO2 in the water (is rhere a window in the room you can open for say an hour or so and see if that raises the pH. Measure it before you open the window and then again maybe an hour later and let me know what you come up with.

If no window or not possible you may need to use a CO2 scrubber but if that is needed we'll get to that after I hear back from you on the Window suggestion.

Albert

Hi Albert
Thanks for the reply

I was told by many that ventilation might be the problem :( sadly I'm in chicago and in an apartment so opening windows is not an option as of now

Ill read about the co2 scrubber

Thanks much for your reply

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Albert
Thanks for the reply

I was told by many that ventilation might be the problem :( sadly I'm in chicago and in an apartment so opening windows is not an option as of now

Ill read about the co2 scrubber

Thanks much for your reply

Yes you will need Soda line but that would mean setting up an airstone and using an air pump that draws the air through the Soda lime and that may not be all that easy on a small tank. Fist suggestion is blow air with a fan over the top of the water and let's see if that makes a change. if that does not help read up on CO2 scrubbers and let me know what questions you have.

Albert

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Albert,

I keep my pairs of clownfish in tanks varying from 8-10g. I feed heavily, as that is what is required to get them breeding. There are only 2 fish in each tank, with live rock rubble and AquaClear 20's and 30's with carbon. Is there anything else aside from weekly water changes of 20-30% to keep increase the filtration and keep the water quality more stable?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Albert,

I keep my pairs of clownfish in tanks varying from 8-10g. I feed heavily, as that is what is required to get them breeding. There are only 2 fish in each tank, with live rock rubble and AquaClear 20's and 30's with carbon. Is there anything else aside from weekly water changes of 20-30% to keep increase the filtration and keep the water quality more stable?

Not being sure what you water quality parameters are it is hard to say and with those large water changes you should be able to keep the water quality under control although you may wish to consider adding GFO to keep phosphates lower if they are high but it would help to know what parameters those tanks are running at.

BTW I am signing off for the evening and will be on very shortly in the morning and then I have to drive to my book printer and will probably be out till the early afternoon.

bobf216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert,

Currently i have a 35w 535 gph pump at 48" max head. the return line is at probably 5' high and throttled down to supply my 30 gallon tank. I have picked up a Reef Octopus BR-110 biopellet reactor and have piped it to my return line with a manifold and each port is valved down. I got the correct flow in the reactor but then the return has barely enough water. Waht size pump would you reccomend to solve this issue? I was thinking a mag 7 but its nearly double the power.

Thanks,

Bob

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert,

Currently i have a 35w 535 gph pump at 48" max head. the return line is at probably 5' high and throttled down to supply my 30 gallon tank. I have picked up a Reef Octopus BR-110 biopellet reactor and have piped it to my return line with a manifold and each port is valved down. I got the correct flow in the reactor but then the return has barely enough water. Waht size pump would you reccomend to solve this issue? I was thinking a mag 7 but its nearly double the power.
Thanks,
Bob

Flow through the reactor does not need to be that high so can you tweak the valves to get more flow on the other side ? If that is not possible you may want to go with the Mag 7 and bypass some of the flow with a T and a valve that allows some of the water to go back to the sump so that the amount of water going to the Tank is not too high.

And on another note, I got the proof copies of the book and have given the Printer the go ahead so 10-14 days and I will have the books to start sending out. I will post pics of them next

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 Proof copies of the book and after reviewing one of them I have given the Printer the OK to go ahead with the printing. So i will take 10-14 days for them to get me the books. In the meantime the PRE PUB price is still available ! Click on the image in my signature for details and ordering instructions ... The price is still $ 27.50 versus $ 69.99 final retail price and if you pre-order you get all the FREE goodies as well .... Please let your friends and Hobbyists know ... Thanks and below are the pics of the Proof Copies :

Pics are taken with my iPhone and a bit out of focus

book1.png

book2.png

book3.png

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Link for Ordering the Book is still located at : NanoReefAquariumsOrdering

The current price which is the pre-pub price gives you: The Book, an e-version of the book, and 1 year of a free subscription to the Marine Reef Newsletter. Anyone who ordered before March 7 will get an additional 1 year of the Newsletter for free. The cost of the Newsletter is a value of $24.99, and the e-version on its own it a value of $ 19.99 so in essence the value of the Freebies is higher than what you pay for the book which is currently $27.50 + shipping of $ 3.50 untill March 17 included. Then the price goes to $ 30 + shipping, and once the book is out and available in print the price of the book is $ 69.99.

So if you want a real good deal and LOTS of information (448 pages and over 275 color images) now is the time to order. Thanks for you support.

Albert

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When will you be speaking at Coralcon? I'd like to catch your presentation.
Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Saturday morning at 11:00 and after the talk about 30 minutes or more for Q&A from Hobbyists. Thanks for asking and look forward to meeting you and many others there.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to say hello.
Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Yes please do ... I will be there Saturday and Sunday ... and it looks like it is going to be some BIG convention and the # of raffle items baffles me ... they seem to have hundreds and hundreds and even more

Albert

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will out of town for the next 3 or 4 days attending CORAL CON2013 in Orlando and will be giving a talk on Sat morning at 11:00. I look forward to meeting many of you there. I will have Proof Copies of my book with me for those who are there to look at and you will still be able to order at the Pre-Publication price on the spot or via payment to Paypal.

For info on the book and on ordering click on the image in my signature .... Thanks for your support.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it was a great convention ... tons of visitors .. tons and tons of them ... Super Raffle prizes worth thousands and thousands $$$ . Congrats to the Organizers !!!

Looking forward to CoralCon2014

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last day for ordering my New Book at the REDUCED price and get all the Free goodies is tomorrow by Midnight .... $ 31.00 including shipping US and Canada ..

Click on the image in my signature for info how to order and where to pay .... LAST DAY IS TOMORROW

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back