Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano-Reef Aquariums Book Cover Image : This is what the cover laid out flat looks like ..... next image will be the assembled view ....

BookNanoCover.png

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how the Book will look when it comes in for distribution to those who ordered. Note that the final retail price will be $ 69.99 but you can still order at the special Pre-Pub price of $27.70 and get all the free goodies that come with it, including NOW a 2 year free Newsletter subscription, that alone is worth more than what you pay for the book!

Image of the book:

Book_Pic.png

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Albert looks great!

Xrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome Albert. Cant wait for my book to arrive!
Albert i have a question. I have a JBJ nanocube 28 g. I bought a hang on back skimmer octopuss bh90 which is rated for 75-100 gallons so i guess i overkilled that one :(. Here is the thing.
I have been reading about the filter on the JBJ nano and it comes with 3 stages: mechanical sponge, chemical activated carbon, and biological ceramic rings.
I have changed the chemichal activated carbon for Vertex carbon in media bags, but i have bee reading about removing the sponge and ceramic rings and changing it with a lot of things. So what do you recommend i do with that filtration system due to the fact that:
1. I have a oversized skimmer
2. I have 15 lbs of live rock and 1.5 " sand bed.

thanks!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome Albert. Cant wait for my book to arrive!
Albert i have a question. I have a JBJ nanocube 28 g. I bought a hang on back skimmer octopuss bh90 which is rated for 75-100 gallons so i guess i overkilled that one :(. Here is the thing.
I have been reading about the filter on the JBJ nano and it comes with 3 stages: mechanical sponge, chemical activated carbon, and biological ceramic rings.
I have changed the chemichal activated carbon for Vertex carbon in media bags, but i have bee reading about removing the sponge and ceramic rings and changing it with a lot of things. So what do you recommend i do with that filtration system due to the fact that:
1. I have a oversized skimmer
2. I have 15 lbs of live rock and 1.5 " sand bed.
thanks!

The skimmer is not actually overkill as most of them are rated for far more than they can handle. 3 x the size of your tank is about what you need. I use one rated at 100 gallons on my 20 G tank.

On the compounds : you do need some kind of mechanical filtration so floss or sponge so I would not remove that, but do change it or clean it regularly so that what is trapped is removed from the system.

On the other compounds leave the carbon but use a good quality and add some GFO to lower PO4 and put it in a bag (rinse it well first) and yes you can remove the ceramic rings and whatever else is in there and just use GAC and GFO and the mech filter ... that should be plenty since you have all that live rock. If the LR has not been in the tank for a long time do not remove all the rings at once but if the LR has been in the tank for a while, say more than a month, you can remove the rings.

Hopefully this helps but if you have more questions do not hesitate to post them here on this thread

ACEofNONE

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey albert... Im running a 24 day old 30g tank with a 5g aquafuge hob refugium. Im not running any type of canister filter. My question is what do you suggest i do about all the debris/dust particles in my tank? Do i go ahead and buy a canister filter?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Xrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is not actually overkill as most of them are rated for far more than they can handle. 3 x the size of your tank is about what you need. I use one rated at 100 gallons on my 20 G tank.

On the compounds : you do need some kind of mechanical filtration so floss or sponge so I would not remove that, but do change it or clean it regularly so that what is trapped is removed from the system.

On the other compounds leave the carbon but use a good quality and add some GFO to lower PO4 and put it in a bag (rinse it well first) and yes you can remove the ceramic rings and whatever else is in there and just use GAC and GFO and the mech filter ... that should be plenty since you have all that live rock. If the LR has not been in the tank for a long time do not remove all the rings at once but if the LR has been in the tank for a while, say more than a month, you can remove the rings.

Hopefully this helps but if you have more questions do not hesitate to post them here on this thread

awesome. Thank you very much

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey albert... Im running a 24 day old 30g tank with a 5g aquafuge hob refugium. Im not running any type of canister filter. My question is what do you suggest i do about all the debris/dust particles in my tank? Do i go ahead and buy a canister filter?
Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Either that or a small HOB filter in which you can place some mechanical filtration medium and maybe also some chemical filtration compounds. That would be possible with a canister and an HOB filter.

Of course you can siphon some of it out but with a filter more will be removed for the benefit of the water quality and of course all the life forms in the tank

Last edited:

thartsockpg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking of starting a small 5g cube tank. lps only and a sexy shrimp or two. what type of filtration would you advise? should i go bare bottom on this. also what type of lights would you recommend(i like a more blue than white)? thanks so much. this is a great thread!

tinman01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Albert
so the most challenging thing about nano tanks is keeping a stable ph ..
i have an 8 gallon tank and my ph varies from 7.5 to 8.0 (night to mornings) and accordingly alk values change
and after a few days after water change and then the ph varies from 7.5 to 7.8 .. how do i get it above 8 or to the safer levels with out messing alk and cal levels

is this ok for a nano tank ?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking of starting a small 5g cube tank. lps only and a sexy shrimp or two. what type of filtration would you advise? should i go bare bottom on this. also what type of lights would you recommend(i like a more blue than white)? thanks so much. this is a great thread!

A good quality Canister filter where you can put mechanical and chemical filtration media in and clean the mech. filter regular. For that small a tank you need a small canister filter, no skimmer and just do water changes of say 10 % a week ... do not overload the tank as that is a small amount of water so no high bioload.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Albert
so the most challenging thing about nano tanks is keeping a stable ph ..
i have an 8 gallon tank and my ph varies from 7.5 to 8.0 (night to mornings) and accordingly alk values change
and after a few days after water change and then the ph varies from 7.5 to 7.8 .. how do i get it above 8 or to the safer levels with out messing alk and cal levels

is this ok for a nano tank ?

The levels are low for the AM and for the PM they are on the low side ... I am wondering if it is due to excess CO2 in the water (is rhere a window in the room you can open for say an hour or so and see if that raises the pH. Measure it before you open the window and then again maybe an hour later and let me know what you come up with.

If no window or not possible you may need to use a CO2 scrubber but if that is needed we'll get to that after I hear back from you on the Window suggestion.

Albert

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back