Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

Xrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone ate my Dragonette?

Hi Albert. Waiting eagelry for my book ! Thanks i received an email saying it was shipped already

So...on to the question
I have a a 29 jbj nano-cube

I just got my mandarin 3 days ago. He was kind of skinny but started eating. So today I wake up with actinic lights and Mandarin nowhere to be found!???
So i wait till the lights to come on and WHOAAA Never seen my anemone this size? So i am assuming it ate the mandarin
frown.gif

1 What you think, he ate it or no?
2 Should i worry now about the Anemone because of mandarins toxicity?
3 That means i cannot have mandarin and this anemone on same tank
4 Any recomendations on what should i do?

photo 2.jpg
photo 1.jpg
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg

Thanks as always!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Thiel, I just got your new book in the mail today. Haven't started it yet, but I noticed the inside was signed. Very nice of you. Thank you sir!

You are very welcome and I hope you enjoy reading it and get some new info out of it that you can use and put to work for you ... feedback received on another forum has been more than gratifying ... thanks

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Albert. Waiting eagelry for my book ! Thanks i received an email saying it was shipped already

So...on to the question
I have a a 29 jbj nano-cube

I just got my mandarin 3 days ago. He was kind of skinny but started eating. So today I wake up with actinic lights and Mandarin nowhere to be found!???
So i wait till the lights to come on and WHOAAA Never seen my anemone this size? So i am assuming it ate the mandarin
frown.gif

1 What you think, he ate it or no?
2 Should i worry now about the Anemone because of mandarins toxicity?
3 That means i cannot have mandarin and this anemone on same tank
4 Any recomendations on what should i do?
Thanks as always!

I am not so sure that your anemone ate your Mandarin, if it did and that is not lkely it would not be that large but it would be smaller. They open up when they want more light or try to trap more food.

I would look around the tank and see whether you can find the Mandarin but do not search too hard as it would stress the fish even more and it probably is and is in hiding and will do that sometimes for several days till it gets comfortable with the tank ...

Make sure there are pods for it to eat ... or freshly hatched brine shrimp ...

Keep me posted ok ... thanks and your book should arrive anytime now as many many have already received theirs.

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert,

Because I'm impatient and can't wait for your book, what are your thoughts on Tropic Marin Bio Actif Reef Salt. I have been using it since day 1 in my 15g. Thanks.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert,

Because I'm impatient and can't wait for your book, what are your thoughts on Tropic Marin Bio Actif Reef Salt. I have been using it since day 1 in my 15g. Thanks.
I used it on a 10 gallon Nano and still do and have found it to be a good salt because of the added organic elements which I believe to be the same as the ones used for carbon dosing and thus promoting better bacterial growth in the tank and nutrient reducing, better than when using salts that do not have them included (of course some use carbon dosing as a separate form of treatment e.g. vodka or vinegar or sugar or vitamin C).

So with some of those already added greater nutrient export is achieved, which is beneficial but you do need IMO to use a skimmer when using it as the increased amount of bacterial growth needs to be kept under control and exported together with nutrients via your skimmer.

Overall an excellent idea to add the C compounds to the salt .... I have found that the 10 G remains at low nutrient levels without as many water changes needed as for instance in my 20 G where I use Red Sea Pro.

So a + for the salt

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks looks like I lucked out in choosing this salt. So do you think I should wait longer than a week inbetween water changes on my 15g? On another note I use just over three cups to make a 5g bucket of salt.

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks looks like I lucked out in choosing this salt. So do you think I should wait longer than a week inbetween water changes on my 15g? On another note I use just over three cups to make a 5g bucket of salt.

I would stay on your regular water change schedule .... consistency in maintenance and husbandry is IMO very important to the ending up with a successful Reef Tank ... and yes that is nice as well as that is good to know by others who read this ... 3 cups for 5 gallons ... ! Keep us posted on how things develop in the tank ....

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering If you have shipped my book yet ? I am out of reading material ..... hanks JOHN

All books ordered have been shipped on the 6th, 8th and 9th so I have to say yes but since I do not have your last name I cannot check for sure ... PM me what name you ordered under pls. TKS

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Book Nano-Reef Aquarium still available at the low $30 price with a free 1 year subscription to the Newsletter (25 issues) and a free e-Version

This offer will expire so if you want to save $$$ order now from NanoReefAquariumsOrdering at the low price ... + shipping cost. Order today and your book goes out tomorrow

Albert

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert, Over the next few days I will be building a new sump. The new one will include a refugium. My question is when adding the "dead" sand to the fuge should I do it slowly? Or does it not matter? What is the best method for incorporating this new refugium into the system?

Thanks Albert.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert, Over the next few days I will be building a new sump. The new one will include a refugium. My question is when adding the "dead" sand to the fuge should I do it slowly? Or does it not matter? What is the best method for incorporating this new refugium into the system?

Thanks Albert.

You can add all the sand at the same time but don't make it too deep a layer ... also put some CUC's that move the sand around ... and to tell you how to incorporate it I would need to see a drawing of the sump and where in the sump that the fuge is located and where the water from the aquarium is entering the sump ... there are many ways to do it and there is a nice pic of one on page 87 of my new book if you have it ... If not you can order just the e-version for less than the printed one if you wish ... just go the link in my sig ...

Or post a drawing and I'll be able to help you better ..

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I had in mind...nothing fancy just a basic design...

New Sump Design.jpg

Looks good ... if you can get the water coming down to go into a large two way valve so you can get less flow through the fuge than the full force of what come down, that would be good ... or do not make the fuge the entire width of the sump and flow some of the water that comes down in the fuge and the rest bypasses it on the side ... Slower flow through the fuge is better ... and it is not that hard to do.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I understand. Add a y junction so some of the water will split and go straight to the return section thereby slowing the volume of water through the 'fuge? Right?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I understand. Add a y junction so some of the water will split and go straight to the return section thereby slowing the volume of water through the 'fuge? Right?

Indeed that is exactly what I meant TW .... +10 ...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I had in mind...nothing fancy just a basic design...

New Sump Design.jpg
I like it, but don't all those arrows interfere with water flow? :fish:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back