Asking about your high tech setups....

MontanaReefer406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have been reefing for little over a year, and have had good success with my nano low tech tank. Simple waterchanges have allowed me to grow some birdsnest SPS and montipora.

I am slowly planning on doing a high tech tank, and a little larger one. I wanted to have my first sump. But here comes the question.

Do you use dosing pumps to restore Ca and Alk? Or do you dose manually? How do you replenish the necessary elements back into your tank?

Thanks!!!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still change 10% water each week. That replenishes those trace elements
I run a calcium reactor that takes the worry out of dosing calcium, mag, and alk.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a four pump doser. Currently dosing Alk and Ca (ESV) and just added NoPox and ReefEnergy. I currently change 20% water every two weeks. But rethinking to 10%-15% weekly.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

not up and running yet, but with my 450 gallon i plan on using a calcium reactor and a constant water change equaling about 25% every 3-4 weeks using an auto awc.

how big is your tank?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have been reefing for little over a year, and have had good success with my nano low tech tank. Simple waterchanges have allowed me to grow some birdsnest SPS and montipora.

I am slowly planning on doing a high tech tank, and a little larger one. I wanted to have my first sump. But here comes the question.

Do you use dosing pumps to restore Ca and Alk? Or do you dose manually? How do you replenish the necessary elements back into your tank?

Thanks!!!

Water changes can replenish you elements. In my view, it is the consumption rate of those elements which dictate the need for dosing.

If the consumption rate is so high that you need to do daily water changes to maintain good levels, you would want to dose as this isn't practical on, say, a 180 gallon tank.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose alk and calcium by means of an auto-doser. For the trace elements I do bi-weekly 10% water changes. Tank looks great!

94B86800-B1C0-4B8B-8BCA-EC3F6B9E94AF.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back