Asking for wave maker suggestions for limited budget

newreefguyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to reefing/saltwater just a heads up. have a 30 gal thinking of getting a jebao sow-8 https:/la.co/d/4WPKEFİ

My main question about it is for people that have used it what's it's lifespan like? How's the maintenance? Considering my tank can have it as just that as my wave maker? In terms of what I'm planning on keeping I'm going for easy beginner corals like zoa's, softies, and anemone. only dive into Ips and sps when I get more experience or when the tank matures andI have more disposable income lol

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only thing you will get for better flow on a slightly higher budget is the gyre. But those take more frequent care. The jebao are hit or miss with length of use,but, many get years out of them

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the hyger mini. Programming was a little unique but small form factor and it never gave me a problem. But a lot of people seem to like those jebaos.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recommend Jaboas and Aquatop. Both work well for me (though I would purchase them a bit oversized), Jabao seems to need more frequent cleaning though.

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two of the Jebao sow-8’s for my 40 breeder after returning a Hygger 792.

Not sure what hygger model you are looking at but the 792gph had almost no power. The 160gph hob filter that I was using had more flow. The hygger has a 1320gph version but I wouldn’t hold my breath that it is much better.

As for the sow-8, I love them. They are near silent and can move a LOT of water. I’m running both of mine on the lowest setting on sine mode (slowly ramp up then back down and repeat). If I turn them up any they start moving sand around. I probably should have got the sow-4’s but thought the extra power might come in handy someday.

I can’t tell you how long they last because I’ve only had mine a couple weeks. I did a fair amount of research before buying them though and I think part of the problem was running them on wavemaker mode where It would turn on then turn off. All the starts and stops is hard on the motor. That’s my theory anyway.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1685853037850.jpeg

Jebao SDW-5s, 2 years and still running great.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using two of the Jebao gyre pumps for over 3 years and one of their return pumps for 4 years and I have never had an issue with any of them.
I’ve never used any of their more traditional wave makers but if looking for budget power heads Jebao is what I would get.

OP
OP
N

newreefguyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the hyger mini. Programming was a little unique but small form factor and it never gave me a problem. But a lot of people seem to like those jebaos.
Yeah I'm kind of debating Jebao SOW-8 and Hygger 2600gph. I've heard good things about both but Jebao I think has more people saying it stops working after 2-4 months. The hyggee also has people saying the same thing but I also seen that they have better support. Im a student so I'm not really in the mood to losing 100$ after 2-4 months

OP
OP
N

newreefguyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two of the Jebao sow-8’s for my 40 breeder after returning a Hygger 792.

Not sure what hygger model you are looking at but the 792gph had almost no power. The 160gph hob filter that I was using had more flow. The hygger has a 1320gph version but I wouldn’t hold my breath that it is much better.

As for the sow-8, I love them. They are near silent and can move a LOT of water. I’m running both of mine on the lowest setting on sine mode (slowly ramp up then back down and repeat). If I turn them up any they start moving sand around. I probably should have got the sow-4’s but thought the extra power might come in handy someday.

I can’t tell you how long they last because I’ve only had mine a couple weeks. I did a fair amount of research before buying them though and I think part of the problem was running them on wavemaker mode where It would turn on then turn off. All the starts and stops is hard on the motor. That’s my theory anyway.
In terms of support what would u say was better? Did u return the hygger in 30 days or just as soon as u got it?

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hygger2600 is good in small tanks -20 gallons max. It is really wide flow and not as strong as advertised.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sow8 is way too big and powerful for a 30g. Go with a smaller one or sleeker slw.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to reefing/saltwater just a heads up. have a 30 gal thinking of getting a jebao sow-8 https:/la.co/d/4WPKEFİ

My main question about it is for people that have used it what's it's lifespan like? How's the maintenance? Considering my tank can have it as just that as my wave maker? In terms of what I'm planning on keeping I'm going for easy beginner corals like zoa's, softies, and anemone. only dive into Ips and sps when I get more experience or when the tank matures andI have more disposable income lol
The Jebao will be fine. Cleaning is no better or worse than most powerheads (but there are obviously better and worse).

The Jebao gyre is awful so I can’t recommend it. The motor is underpowered and it will clog.

Expect counter-intuitive programming (you should get a Wi-Fi version to make things slightly easier) but there is enough help on here for Jebao products you should be fine.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back