ASM Skimmer Mod Questions

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I have an ASM G4 under my RSR 750XXL. The skimmer is amazing and works great. However the loudness of the water overflowing from the standpipe has begun to annoy my wife when she is trying to watch TV! :eek:

I would like to install a gate valve or something in order to silence the waterfall under the tank. It does also create some splash that is a nuisance as well with salt creep in my sump area etc. Anyone done this or have any idea how I go about doing so and not impact the performance of the unit?

I have already installed an air silencer on the intake and that cut down a bunch of the noise.

I am also currently helping @4FordFamily build his 500g system and he bought the G5. I am concerned with this in his new tank as well just due to the fact that it is so tall (36"). I don't want splash to be an issue.

#reefsquad

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I want to shut mine up too although I don’t hear mine as much. Kyle I was thinking about putting baffles behind it to catch any splash

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a G4 for many years, it's a solid design. You can cut down the exhaust stand pipe and put on an elbow then a gate valve. Works fine. I just cannot recall if the grey stand pipe is metric or not (I think it might be). Just make sure you follow the recommended sump water depth. If the water is too shallow, the venturi has a hard time sucking air.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a G4 for many years, it's a solid design. You can cut down the exhaust stand pipe and put on an elbow then a gate valve. Works fine. I just cannot recall if the grey stand pipe is metric or not (I think it might be). Just make sure you follow the recommended sump water depth. If the water is too shallow, the venturi has a hard time sucking air.

I figured it would have to be cut down a bit to make the turn as adding the elbow(s) would raise the pipe too much even at the lowest setting. Thanks for the heads up I will look into the pipe size.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a cup or filter sock that is long enough to reach down to sump water level, upside down, over the output, that should have that foam piece that came with skimmer on it
You may still hear it slightly but problem pretty much solved

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5" PVC - T slips on top of skimmers riser pipe. Cap goes on top end with vent hole drilled. Elbow goes on side of T. Use pvc pipe in bottom of said elbow to run water down to below water level. Silence.... been doing it for years on client tanks where I inherited an ASM.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5" PVC - T slips on top of skimmers riser pipe. Cap goes on top end with vent hole drilled. Elbow goes on side of T. Use pvc pipe in bottom of said elbow to run water down to below water level. Silence.... been doing it for years on client tanks where I inherited an ASM.

Can this be done without cutting the pipe down?

I'm following exactly what you are saying. Sounds easier than a gate valve. Still use the existing standpipe adjustment? For how wet/dry you want to skim?

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this be done without cutting the pipe down?

I'm following exactly what you are saying. Sounds easier than a gate valve. Still use the existing standpipe adjustment? For how wet/dry you want to skim?
Yup no cutting needed, just slip all the pvc together and use the standpipe as normal to adjust height.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever it takes to have it exit at the water line will help. Modded my Reef Octopus skimmer that way, mostly to keep the salt spray down. It's quiet.

flooddc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to cut the stand pipe. Just push it down, but not all the way as it might restrict flow.
here is mine, it's a G5. Recommend a gate valve to fine tune it and to adjust wet/dry skimming. Also, make sure not to submerse the output. just keep it on top of the water surface.
Asm g5 by t@#$%c, on Flickr

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kyle there you go buddy!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back