At my WITS END!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MaxTremors , I don't disagree with you at all, but you're mad at the wrong guy... J.Gard88 was responding to this

Screenshot_20220504-002607~2.png

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the last thing I’ll say on it. I was just pointing out that your joke was unnecessary and unfunny, you didn’t need to make it, it wasn’t on topic. I help ID and help solve plenty of problems here, but to answer your question, yes, making bigoted jokes doesn’t sit well with me. There are people that post here that your joke would make feel unwelcome. It is no different than making a racist or sexist joke, again its just unnecessary and unfunny.
Oh Jeeze... I believe me saying I identify as someone that wants a clean tank is in all..... all that is. It was a simple reply. and I am sorry I am not in the business of caring to offend someone ( Especially when its so easy to do theses days) It really had nothing to do or even grant this conversation were having right now. Its not racist because I said nothing of race..... its not sexist because technically " There is no sex" Right? and if someone feels unwelcome..... then they should seek comfort, not the rest of the world to provide comfort. Life is very uncomfortable.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some good advice! No matter what I do (Water Changes, Lighting Adjustments, Medicine etc.) This just doesn't seem to want to go away. What exactly is it? I believe Dino Flags but not 100%, but whatever it is how do I get rid of it???

1651647348882.png

Simple remove coral from rock work if any ar glued remove with tweezers hemos or bone cutter next dip coral in a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution to kill it

To me it appears to be some kind of wayfaring sponge and a combination of hydroirds

I wouldnt listen to the dude above as vibrant is snake oil and ur gonna crash ur micro biome bacteria and probably do some damage to the tank if its ur 1st time using
Plus we both keep sticks u want that trash floating in the water column no sirrry bob

Instead

Go with the 80 / 20 80% sucsess with 20% of the work

If I were u I would remove coral from rock work the dip coral then find a safe place for them or keep then outta the tank in a tote utilize this time to fill up the tote have a filter sock handy and steep the walls and stir substrate if any then manually remove with a hose do 35 % wc into containment vessel tote bucket etc

The filter sock should catch the sponge particles

Next dip coral put back into take in a safe spot add new water mix at 1.025

Keep old water for tommorow to rinse rocks

Now grab a towel or spare container put rocks outside to marinate and bake off sludge in the sun then wait a few days

Dip in the old tank water take a tooth brush and baster too rock u should see all the particulates wash away leaving a clean chunk of rock then place back in tank and flue coral if desired

Check for wafaring rd algae in creases and crevices of rocks remove with tweezers

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work it works for me I've been doing it this way for years it's an old trick on indo coral farms to sunbaked the rtr rock to remove detritus unwanted hitchhiker and nuciancse algaes and sponge from enter and contaminating the system

And is often overlooked u can take the rock outta the water and just kill the algae and sponge as long as it doesnt sit out too long

And as far is the hydrogen peroxide goes its the secret sauce alot of older reeefers use it to combat bryopsis from suffocating zoa frags but can also be use on pretty much all coral u just gotta dilute it more for lps and even more for sps and usually this is only to remove unwanted things from the plug itself not effective to treat for bacterias or pest but will definitely keep frag plugs clean

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then get a little eyeliner brush and tweezers and clean the frags up after u dip that way it's not growing on your frags

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I think the copperband butterfly's and the fox face are too hype and the only reason they work for certain ppl bc they have a large system like the gayasian that made them big again

I've had both in the 125 the cbbc was shy and the scopas tang and fox face bullied him, and the foxface called bus never did hush job and would turn brown and flex on me when I'd stick my hand in the water

For smaller applications I think a few wrasses like a cleaner wrasses a coris wrasse would be good for hitchhikers and certain algaes and sponge, some damsels like blue devils or Springeri for algae control

A bunch of snails to keep the walls clean

A goby to agitate the sand bed, a group of engineers or watchman and prawn

And a fish like any zebrasoma tang(yellow purple scopas sailfin) or even better yet a kole tang or bristle tooth as they just crush the rockwork for algae

Then peppermint shrimp on aiptasia CV control

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I think the copperband butterfly's and the fox face are too hype and the only reason they work for certain ppl bc they have a large system like
I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say here, but my foxface cleared my display (90 gallons) of bubble algae in 2 days, and his favorite "snack" is when I give him a few clusters of it from my frag tank :)

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theyll probably munch the sponge a little but I only see a little bit do a quick google search I dobt think that's algae bud

I think those are something really really nasty and from the wild called colonial hydroids which are in the hydra and hydrant family and hitch a ride on wild coral and are commonly found on sinularia sp and nepthea in the wild

The only way to get rid of them for good is manually removing them

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And its gonna be a battle were taking water exchange everyday and sucking substrate and walls for any heads and being stringent about it for a week or 2 doing it ever say or every other day

Nothing will really eat them either they just need to get removed completely

Then you'll notice a change but it wont happen over night

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MaxTremors , I don't disagree with you at all, but you're mad at the wrong guy... J.Gard88 was responding to this

Screenshot_20220504-002607~2.png
This wasn’t a joke from me, the typical old times saying “My good sir” I just had to add additional so as to NOT to offend since I have no idea who this person is. B
Theyll probably munch the sponge a little but I only see a little bit do a quick google search I dobt think that's algae bud

I think those are something really really nasty and from the wild called colonial hydroids which are in the hydra and hydrant family and hitch a ride on wild coral and are commonly found on sinularia sp and nepthea in the wild

he said They blow off easily though. Don’t colonial hydroids stick to rock work like aiptasia?

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say here, but my foxface cleared my display (90 gallons) of bubble algae in 2 days, and his favorite "snack" is when I give him a few clusters of it from my frag tank :)
It's all in the fish ,alls I'm saying is they have personality and I think the cbb is over hyped for aphasia control as mine never even tried to munch on them the peppermint shrimp for sure did a better job

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely not any kind of colonial hydroids i've ever seen...

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wasn’t a joke from me, the typical old times saying “My good sir” I just had to add additional so as to NOT to offend since I have no idea who this person is. B

he said They blow off easily though. Don’t colonial hydroids stick to rock work like aiptasia?

Kinda it depend on water quality and how long they've been their some older ones will be easy to blast off

But to an untrained eye it looks like a mystery sponge or some kind of alge

There are hydroids hydras and hydrants all in the same family but different aswell alot of ppl mistake it for detritus stuck to wall or a sponge but it small and tentacles at first and can get big and swollen and look like cordyceps that grow in the forest and hydrants kinda have like an aiptasia like head and hydras are like 3 squiggly lines attached to a circular body

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220504-033829_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220504-033829_Chrome.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 23

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinty 34 ppt
Phosphates 0 ppm
Ph 8-8.2
Nirtrates 0-5ppm
nitrite 0 ppm
Calcium 460 ppm
temp consistant 77.5

Tank Mates : Royal Gramma, Foxface, Hippo tang, manderin Goby, (2) Clowns, Carpet Anemone, Cleaner Shrimp, Emerald Crab, Arrow Crab, Couple Acros, Zoas, and other soft corals, Duncans etc....
What jumps out is zero phosphates. Unwelcome things always seem to accompany a measurement of zero. There have been some interesting discussions on nitrites and the carbon-nitrate-phosphate ratio in reef tanks (I don't claim to completely have my head wrapped around the latter, but it's interesting).

Getting your phosphates higher could help with managing this stuff in the long run.

Didn't I mention removing the rocks as an option? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back