• Switch to ATI 8 bulb SunPower

Votes: 67 68.4%

• Total voters

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently setup a tank that's been doing pretty well. It's a 24x24x24 Deep Blue Edge Tank with a Series 4 stand.

It's SPS and Clam heavy. Coloration and growth has been great. Currently I'm running a Radion Pro and a Taotronic 120w unit that I'm adding lenses to. The Radion Pro is the primary light and the Taotronics light is 50/50 white/blue. I added the second light to provide fill light to prevent shadows. The lights are hung and setup / \ like that. Except much less of a slope. I run it about 8 hours on the Radion Pro on the 18k setting at 80% max. I run the taotronics for about 6 hours at the same on times.

I recently purchased an ATI SunPower 24" in 8 bulb configuration because it was a crazy good deal. It has upgraded fans from the PowerModule. Only worry is that I have 3 big clams on the sand bed and I'm not sure if I'll get the 250 or so PAR that the Radion Pro has been measured to provide 24" deep.

I've been debating changing the LEDs to the ATI for better shadow filling. I really have no problems or complaints about the LED setup but I've been considering changing it out for better coloration and shade elimination on the SPS...

THoughts?

Here are some photos.

pOlGcQN.jpg

uXYDYAB.jpg

b9wjTYG.jpg

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been using the Taotronic? I've been considering a Radion for the same tank, but wasn't sure about coverage. Nice to see you can get 250 PAR at the sandbed though.

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally would keep the led , but i would add two t5 , or vho to help shading. t5 is proven though. i have radion pro's on my tank and am planning on playing around with t5 or vho supplementation soon as i am build my canopy over the weekend. i may play around with the angles as well. i will say this though. i threw my 250 watt halide over one side of the tank and did not notice much of a difference in shading to be honest. tank looks awesome though and it proves led can grow and keep sps nice and colored up !

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend(Ronnie is his name on here) that is selling his radions right now and just bought an ati t5 fixture as well.The radions weren't givin him the color that t5s did.I to am thinking about switching back to t5 from led.I was happy with the leds but t5 and halides just color coral up like no other,So imo I would use the ati fixture if you want the best color for your coral.

OP
OP
FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One option I've been considering is putting a 2 bulb or 4 bulb T5HO unit in place of the Taotronic...

This way I get the penetrating power, customizability, and easy color control of the Radion Pro while I Also get the shading control and spectrum power of T5HO...

Ninjapotamus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have t5 and led(kessils and some reefbreeders) over the same system, t5 produces better color and growth

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched back from LEDs to t5s. I think LEDs are great and can from coral but I think there needs to be a mix.
I would love to see more lights that are t5s with led accents. LEDs just have to much shadowing to them.

OP
OP
FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an update, I just put the ATI 8 bulb up...

Looks better IMO. I'm definitely seeing some parts of the tank for the first time because of the tank filling light.

It kind of feels like I've been using a flash light in a dark room as opposed to turn just turning the room lights on. Will post a tank picture once I get my Flipper scrubber fixed...

I'm using:

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Coral Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Coral Plus
ATI Actinic
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Coral Plus
ATI Blue Plus

So far I really like the color temperature of the tank. I ordered a moonlight kit from Rapid LED and will be sticking that on later. I am debating switching a bulb out to a Aquablue Special to get some more green peaks.

I have 2 Blue Plus coming on at 8AM then turning off at 8PM.
I have 6 other bulbs coming on at 9AM then turning off at 3PM.

So just a 6 hour main photo period. I will be increasing that an hour every week until I'm at about 9 or 10 hours.

One concern I have is that I just ordered a new tank. A SCA Aquarium 65 gallon which is 32x24x20. I'm a bit worried I'll have some dark sides since the fixture is only 24".

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my mind it should be this way.

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Blue Plus
ATI coral plus
ATI blue plus
ATI Actinic
ATI coral plus
ATI blue plus
ATI Blue Plus

Chris07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running
ATI blue plus
ATI coral plus
ATI purple plus
ATI blue plus
ATI blue plus
ATI coral plus
ATI blue plus
ATI blue plus
That's from back to front. Loving the color so far and so are my corals. I think I might switch #3 purple plus with #4 blue plus though. I got a maxima on the sand bed at 22"

Chris07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also planning a little later this year to remove a bulb or 2 and run RB LEDs in those strips to put a little pop n shimmer. I'm going to give the 8 bulb a couple more months to see some more results first though

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I runin 8 bulb ati with.
Front
Blue plus
Purple plus
Blue plus
Blue plus
Aqua blue spec
Blue plus
Coral plus
Blue plus

msayani2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FlyPenFly,

You can run a 24" fixture on a 32" tank. It has a couple inches more spread than 24". Ill be running a 5 ft ati sunpower on a 6 ft tank.

I too was in your predicament with the T5 VS LED thing. From the feedback I got and the tons of research I have done ( I am a lurker on RC and R2R - I only post when I feel I can contribute well.) , LEDs arent there for corals as yet (esp. coloration) - I am going T5. Maybe 3-4 years later when there is more long term results on a quality fixture (GHL mitras / radion pro) then I will invest into the whole LED thing.

FYI - I was going to buy the radions when they first came out in 2011 but my tank build got delayed and so I since then I was following the long term results of the radions and other LED fixtures and they havent perfected it , YET. Just some more tweaking needed.

The sunpower/powermodule puts out enough PAR for all corals so dont worry. You should keep low light corals on the edges and Clams and SPS in the middle 24".

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back