ATI results

DakotahSteel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I’ve been struggling with any and all sps “even montis” since I got my tank wet right at about 9 months. Colors fade and then either RTN or STN. On the other hand my zoas, torches, frogspawn and other softies are looking great and growing.

Got my ICP test results back and I’m not seeing anything that would stick out too terribly. That’s why I’m asking what am I missing? And how do I fix it?

C431CD8E-1D5B-4189-B904-7BFF0ABE72FD.png BEAAB4CA-7F6A-41DB-BC5B-21E164015E43.png

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey everyone,

I’ve been struggling with any and all sps “even montis” since I got my tank wet right at about 9 months. Colors fade and then either RTN or STN. On the other hand my zoas, torches, frogspawn and other softies are looking great and growing.

Got my ICP test results back and I’m not seeing anything that would stick out too terribly. That’s why I’m asking what am I missing? And how do I fix it?

C431CD8E-1D5B-4189-B904-7BFF0ABE72FD.png BEAAB4CA-7F6A-41DB-BC5B-21E164015E43.png
Those look decent. I'd say for starters, what lights and flow do you have? It's harder than you think to balance a mixed reef. Great to hear your LPS are doing good, but SPS will need a ton more light and flow. What are your tank dimensions and also what SPS have you tried, though it's concerning to hear Montis aren't working out.

OP
OP
DakotahSteel

DakotahSteel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look decent. I'd say for starters, what lights and flow do you have? It's harder than you think to balance a mixed reef. Great to hear your LPS are doing good, but SPS will need a ton more light and flow. What are your tank dimensions and also what SPS have you tried, though it's concerning to hear Montis aren't working out.
I’m running a Redsea 1000s which is just short of 8 feet and right over 200 gallons. I’m running three Radion XR30 G6s at 68% intensity with two MP40s on either end and then my return pump.
As for sps at this point I’ve tried montis, acros, milles, favia, and chalices and then all die off the same way.. color darkens and then RTN overnight or a slow march to death with STN. I feed phyto and reef AB+ daily every night when the blues come on.
I’ve had successful tanks in the past and never had an issue like this I’m honestly stumped

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m running a Redsea 1000s which is just short of 8 feet and right over 200 gallons. I’m running three Radion XR30 G6s at 68% intensity with two MP40s on either end and then my return pump.
As for sps at this point I’ve tried montis, acros, milles, favia, and chalices and then all die off the same way.. color darkens and then RTN overnight or a slow march to death with STN. I feed phyto and reef AB+ daily every night when the blues come on.
I’ve had successful tanks in the past and never had an issue like this I’m honestly stumped
Any angel fish or other nippers that can inhabit big tanks?

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Have you run 0 nitrates for a while, typically that should be measurable otherwise you could be starving corals.

OP
OP
DakotahSteel

DakotahSteel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you run 0 nitrates for a while, typically that should be measurable otherwise you could be starving corals.
No that’s actually something I’ve been struggling with. I have a roller mat and a skimmer and if I run the skimmer 24/7 I get a dino flare up quick. So I started running the skimmer just at night

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hm. Well that is one place to start. I'd also look at flow. Your lights are plenty sufficient, but only two mp40s is probably not enough flow for a tank that size with SPS, they need a lot of flow.

OP
OP
DakotahSteel

DakotahSteel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. Well that is one place to start. I'd also look at flow. Your lights are plenty sufficient, but only two mp40s is probably not enough flow for a tank that size with SPS, they need a lot of flow.
I’m planning on adding two more to the back wall of the tank next

How should I bring up the nitrates? I’m already feeding two cubes in the morning and then automatic feeder three times a day after that

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that’s actually something I’ve been struggling with. I have a roller mat and a skimmer and if I run the skimmer 24/7 I get a dino flare up quick. So I started running the skimmer just at night
My tank started struggling really bad when I added a filter roller. It was stripping way too much out of the water. Once I took it offline my tank did a 180 seemingly overnight. I'd try taking yours offline and getting your nutrients up (po4 & No3).

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Everything looks good. Even your trace elements don’t look crazy off. Maybe lighting and flow. I agree with randy I’d start dosing something that supplements this trace elements and keeps them slightly elevated. My Sps corals look like crap for a while. I started dosing potassium, because there is a lack of it. all my Corals came back looking amazing.

OP
OP
DakotahSteel

DakotahSteel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I posted this I’ve been dosing neonitro and already seeing a color increase in all my Sps. I also started an iodine and supplemental minerals. I’ll keep y’all posted on the last two

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I posted this I’ve been dosing neonitro and already seeing a color increase in all my Sps. I also started an iodine and supplemental minerals. I’ll keep y’all posted on the last two

Thanks for the update! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back