ATI Straton Pro (102, 153, 204)

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As most of you already know, ATI released the Straton Pro in Germany. It was released in three sizes, the 102 (12.6"x18.5"), the 153 (18.5"x18.5"), and the 204 (24"x18.5"), which are rated for SPS coverage at 23.6"x27.6', 27.6"x27.6", 35.4"x27.6", respectively. It appears that I can purchase these fixtures now.

According to ATI specs, three of the 153 fixtures would light my Red Sea S-1000 (82.7"x26.8",25.6") perfectly. However, I am considering three of the 204 fixtures instead, which should be good for a 106.2" SPS tank, and might provide a little more coverage, par, and shadow reduction, but at an added cost.

Any recommendations?

I'm still considering 4-5 (probably 5) Radion XR30 G6 fixtures as well.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mate you’ve put lots of posts up - depends when you are setting up your tank… I would forecast ati pros not reaching USA for at least 6 months to a year (if at all) even the original ati stratons were quite rare

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mate you’ve put lots of posts up - depends when you are setting up your tank… I would forecast ati pros not reaching USA for at least 6 months to a year (if at all) even the original ati stratons were quite rare
Unfortunately this is all truth, for the first time we have Stratons on hand at our distributor.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any cons to just ordering straight from Germany?

ATI Straton: Why? They are currently available
ATI Straton Pro: You will not receive any support or warranty here from ATI North America unless it was purchased for an authorized dealer in North America.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI Straton: Why? They are currently available
ATI Straton Pro: You will not receive any support or warranty here from ATI North America unless it was purchased for an authorized dealer in North America.

Out of curiosity why would that be? I understand the statement behind availability. It makes sense and ATI has made it clear. Open and honest, great job. No support through seems like a bit of a head scratcher to me unless training is gated somehow.

Heck of a problem to have though - high demand and supply chain/covid recover getting in your way. Not to mention of course the other nasty things going on over in EMEA sadly :( Hope all is well.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity why would that be? I understand the statement behind availability. It makes sense and ATI has made it clear. Open and honest, great job. No support through seems like a bit of a head scratcher to me unless training is gated somehow.

Heck of a problem to have though - high demand and supply chain/covid recover getting in your way. Not to mention of course the other nasty things going on over in EMEA sadly :( Hope all is well.
Its pretty straight forward. We are a totally separate company from ATI Germany. We pay for our service and support from the sales of goods in North America. If you buy goods from Germany we have nothing to do with it and therefor we aren't going to support it.

It is a bit like buying an ATI Light, Neptune Apex or Radion from Aquacave or BRS, then going to your LFS and asking them to program it for you. How keen will they be on doing so? Not keen at all I promise you.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh I wouldn’t bother buying from Germany… support for electronics is super important… do you really want to do deal with a dead light out of the box you have to send back to Germany (who will probably go ‘we don’t support USA because we have a distributed there’)

not worth the headache mate.

the OG stratons had supply issues in Europe too.

OP
OP
M

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just noticed the power cord on the 204 (24"x18.5") is on the 18.5" end, so if mounting over a 24"-30" wide tank, the power cord would have to lay on top of the other fixtures and exit on side of the tank and not the back. I see the ATI Pro teaser shows this on a peninsula tank. Any idea if the power cord laying on top the of the fixture is a fire risk?

Instead of three 204 fixtures for my Red Sea S-1000 (82.7"x26.8",25.6"), should I get three or four of the 153 fixtures, so that power cords exit on the back?

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just noticed the power cord on the 204 (24"x18.5") is on the 18.5" end, so if mounting over a 24"-30" tank, the power cord would have to lay on top of the other fixtures and exit on side of the tank and not the back. I see the ATI Pro teaser shows this on a peninsula tank. Any idea if the power cord laying on top the of the fixture is a fire risk?

Instead of three 204 fixtures for my Red Sea S-1000 (82.7"x26.8",25.6"), should I get three or four of the 153 fixtures, so that power cords exit on the back?

Based on what I read above it does not seem like you are going to get the answers you are looking for.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any cons to just ordering straight from Germany?
yes, i dont think the german units will have the same plug nor be 110v ac standard like we use in the US, if you are from the US (idk). You would have to check if the unit would even work with 110v
So I just noticed the power cord on the 204 (24"x18.5") is on the 18.5" end, so if mounting over a 24"-30" wide tank, the power cord would have to lay on top of the other fixtures and exit on side of the tank and not the back. I see the ATI Pro teaser shows this on a peninsula tank. Any idea if the power cord laying on top the of the fixture is a fire risk?

no one here will really know, i know there are some european reef forums and they would probably know more over there as literally no one in the US has access to them

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this is all truth, for the first time we have Stratons on hand at our distributor.
at least you guys are more honest than other companies who just say, "coming soon" when they know it wont come out til way in the future. Makes me want to support you guys even more, loved the ATI t5s always but have moved to leds now to clear up space on top of the tank

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI straton vanilla I would never run it without the cord coming out the back

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't bother with the Straton at all. They have zero mounting options and even less help. ATI North America's response in here alone is quite the head scratcher and should wake up ATI up on how they do business IMO.

ATI should switch distributors to someone with a little more tact and customer oriented service. Not relying on someone who literally tells a potential customer "don't expect any service from us."

Oliver was always pleasant to work with and talk to. Is he still around and okay with all of this?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother with the Straton at all. They have zero mounting options and even less help. ATI North America's response in here alone is quite the head scratcher and should wake up ATI up on how they do business IMO.

ATI should switch distributors to someone with a little more tact and customer oriented service. Not relying on someone who literally tells a potential customer "don't expect any service from us."

Oliver was always pleasant to work with and talk to. Is he still around and okay with all of this?
that wasnt his/their direct quote at all,
We are a totally separate company from ATI Germany. We pay for our service and support from the sales of goods in North America. If you buy goods from Germany we have nothing to do with it and therefor we aren't going to support it.
they are pretty straightforward with this info

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that just means people need to contact the germany ati sector if they want to know more information about the unit or warranty, they are just covering themselves in case any misinformation was out there as any good company would

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that wasnt his/their direct quote at all,

they are pretty straightforward with this info
Yeah it was.

What they could have said is, "Anything bought in Germany doesn't get service through us but we will do everything we can to help you get in contact with the right people should the occasion arise."

Then they doubled down saying if you bought a Neptune through a vendor but asked your LFS for help they wouldn't give it. Once again showing that customer service isn't their thing. I know multiple LFS owners that would help in a heartbeat. Even if all they did is get you in touch with Neptune or get links for some videos. You know why? Because that is what good customer service is and you're ALWAYS working on that next sale.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true, they could have said that a bit better but idk the relationship between the two companies. Also i wanted to give ati a chance to respond before anything as i am not sure if there is always someone online to answer every post

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back