ATO check balance location

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up this FZAqua ATO it says to set up check valve as shown in diagram. My question is do they want the check valve in the reservoir or the height of the tank water level?

IMG_1410.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that diagram, the check valve will prevent water from back-siphoning from the sump to the ATO res. If your ATO res is higher than the sump water level, the check valve is basically useless.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that diagram, the check valve will prevent water from back-siphoning from the sump to the ATO res. If your ATO res is higher than the sump water level, the check valve is basically useless.
correct. I'm assuming they just want it close to the actual pump to keep the line full?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
correct. I'm assuming they just want it close to the actual pump to keep the line full?
I guess that's a factor to consider, but the pumps are strong enough that it really doesn't matter. And, in this situation you can bypass the issue entirely by having the outlet into the sump above the sump water level rather than submerged.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that's a factor to consider, but the pumps are strong enough that it really doesn't matter. And, in this situation you can bypass the issue entirely by having the outlet into the sump above the sump water level rather than submerged.
it's just going into the 3rd chamber of a biocube. Really only need it when I'm away because I need to keep the lid open for the auto feeder which is where the evap comes from.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you want that check valve at the highest point in your tubing to stop a siphon from your resi to sump .. it needs to be higher than the water line of both your resi and the sump water level.
so then place it right outside the tank. The tube will never even contact the water so I don't think I need it at all but was just thinking if it's better to prevent the water in the line from going in reverse through the pump each time it stops. Basically what, like 4 feet from floor to top of a biocube? And going into the 3rd chamber, that the lowest volume for fill

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%

Back