ATO Pump Issues / Recommendations

Richard Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I am in need of some assistance with my ATO. I have a IM Nuvo 40 AIO which has been setup and running for just over a year. Recently my Toms Aquatic lift pump has been failing occasionally. My ATO bucket sits inside the stand with the pump just above the bucket. I believe I am running into a head pressure issue. When the feed and return lines are close to the same height the water flows without issue. However, as the height of the return line goes up, the flow slowly decreases until it is just a few drops. Over time the few drops just stop and top off just stops.

I don't mind replacing the pump, but I am having issues finding a small pump that can basically pump to a height of 55" (the top of the tank). I don't really want to replace the whole setup as the Tsunami controller has been flawless.

Ideas, recommendations?

Thanks much!

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Smart Micro ATO's pump does 74gph (at no head) and can do 78" - and is like $20 for a replacement. Its submersible though - and runs on 12vc, so you'd probably need to find a wall wart with the right connector/polarity.

SALTYMOPAR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a cobalt 1200 for ATO not the most silent thing in the world but it works quick. I'm a huge fan of Tom's but they are not the best when dealing with head pressure as we both have figured out.

OP
OP
R

Richard Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @dbowman5 and @SALTYMOPAR!
I use a 5g jug with a 3" and 1/2" opening. Makes it easy to stick a ridged tube in the small top and attach to a pump. The Toms has worked well until recently. I cleaned the diaphram, but it wasn't really dirty. I was hoping to just find a larger lift pump, but...it is seemingly a harder mission. Hence my post. My biggest problem is the distance I need to go from my jug to the top of the tank. Not much I can do to lessen the 55" height.

Thanks!

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's what I've been using. 55" will not be a problem for this pump

OP
OP
R

Richard Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!
I ended up ordering an Innovative Marine Hydrofill pump. It got decent reviews and since my tank is an IM, I figured they designed it to work for their tanks... Plus it uses the same airline tubing that I have in place now, so it'll be just a pump swap. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back