ATO Questions and Recommendation

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hugh Mann
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2020
Messages
1,997
Reaction score
1,862
Location
Merritt, BC
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winter is coming and I need an ATO. I have been able to manually top up, but my new furnace strips humidity out of the air like crazy.

So. In looking at ATOs, I see there’s two types of sensors. Float switch and optical sensors. Is there any significant difference between the two in terms of precision, reliability, longevity, etc?

What models would folks recommend to a person on a budget?

What are the odds of being able to DIY an auto top off? It seems like it would be pretty straight forward really. Anyone done this, if so, how do you find it working for you?
 
Winter is coming and I need an ATO. I have been able to manually top up, but my new furnace strips humidity out of the air like crazy.

So. In looking at ATOs, I see there’s two types of sensors. Float switch and optical sensors. Is there any significant difference between the two in terms of precision, reliability, longevity, etc?

What models would folks recommend to a person on a budget?

What are the odds of being able to DIY an auto top off? It seems like it would be pretty straight forward really. Anyone done this, if so, how do you find it working for you?
I love my tunze ones. I have the nano on my 20 gallon cube and the normal one on my 75 gallon. They work great and never have issues. It uses a float and an optical sensor so if one fails the tank won’t over fill.
 
I love my tunze ones. I have the nano on my 20 gallon cube and the normal one on my 75 gallon. They work great and never have issues. It uses a float and an optical sensor so if one fails the tank won’t over fill.
I’ve heard good things about tunze. Unfortunately all the models I see in stock are approximately $300CAD, backordered with ??? delivery times, or in the case of the nano, says it’s good for 3/8” glass. I forgot to mention in my post the tank is 260 gallons and the sump holds about 75 gallons of water, has 1/2” glass.
 
Are you able to use a gravity fed reservoir? If so, it’s the most cost effective and simple way of implementing an ATO. You can find used Tunze 3155’s here from time to time. The other one I would suggest is the Avast Marine ATO. My Tunze 3155 is 7 years old and still going strong on my nano system. My 90g is using a gravity fed ATO with the eshopps adjustable float valve kit. It’s super simple and will never fail open.
 
Are you able to use a gravity fed reservoir? If so, it’s the most cost effective and simple way of implementing an ATO. You can find used Tunze 3155’s here from time to time. The other one I would suggest is the Avast Marine ATO. My Tunze 3155 is 7 years old and still going strong on my nano system. My 90g is using a gravity fed ATO with the eshopps adjustable float valve kit. It’s super simple and will never fail open.
A gravity feed system. I imagine that is as simple as a reservoir elevated above the sump, hose and a float valve? No pumps, no electricity or anything required?

Sounds easy enough to rig up. If I built a platform for the 1,000 litre tote in the adjoining room I store my RODI in, I could theoretically use that as the reservoir too. Hmm. This is a good idea, as I suspect there will be a substantial amount of evaportion. Thank you.
 
A gravity feed system. I imagine that is as simple as a reservoir elevated above the sump, hose and a float valve? No pumps, no electricity or anything required?

Sounds easy enough to rig up. If I built a platform for the 1,000 litre tote in the adjoining room I store my RODI in, I could theoretically use that as the reservoir too. Hmm. This is a good idea, as I suspect there will be a substantial amount of evaportion. Thank you.
Two airline tubing segments, no float valve or electricity needed perhaps might be too small scale for that size tank I’m not sure
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 23 15.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new