ATO Questions and Recommendation

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winter is coming and I need an ATO. I have been able to manually top up, but my new furnace strips humidity out of the air like crazy.

So. In looking at ATOs, I see there’s two types of sensors. Float switch and optical sensors. Is there any significant difference between the two in terms of precision, reliability, longevity, etc?

What models would folks recommend to a person on a budget?

What are the odds of being able to DIY an auto top off? It seems like it would be pretty straight forward really. Anyone done this, if so, how do you find it working for you?

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winter is coming and I need an ATO. I have been able to manually top up, but my new furnace strips humidity out of the air like crazy.

So. In looking at ATOs, I see there’s two types of sensors. Float switch and optical sensors. Is there any significant difference between the two in terms of precision, reliability, longevity, etc?

What models would folks recommend to a person on a budget?

What are the odds of being able to DIY an auto top off? It seems like it would be pretty straight forward really. Anyone done this, if so, how do you find it working for you?
I love my tunze ones. I have the nano on my 20 gallon cube and the normal one on my 75 gallon. They work great and never have issues. It uses a float and an optical sensor so if one fails the tank won’t over fill.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my tunze ones. I have the nano on my 20 gallon cube and the normal one on my 75 gallon. They work great and never have issues. It uses a float and an optical sensor so if one fails the tank won’t over fill.
I’ve heard good things about tunze. Unfortunately all the models I see in stock are approximately $300CAD, backordered with ??? delivery times, or in the case of the nano, says it’s good for 3/8” glass. I forgot to mention in my post the tank is 260 gallons and the sump holds about 75 gallons of water, has 1/2” glass.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you able to use a gravity fed reservoir? If so, it’s the most cost effective and simple way of implementing an ATO. You can find used Tunze 3155’s here from time to time. The other one I would suggest is the Avast Marine ATO. My Tunze 3155 is 7 years old and still going strong on my nano system. My 90g is using a gravity fed ATO with the eshopps adjustable float valve kit. It’s super simple and will never fail open.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to use a gravity fed reservoir? If so, it’s the most cost effective and simple way of implementing an ATO. You can find used Tunze 3155’s here from time to time. The other one I would suggest is the Avast Marine ATO. My Tunze 3155 is 7 years old and still going strong on my nano system. My 90g is using a gravity fed ATO with the eshopps adjustable float valve kit. It’s super simple and will never fail open.
A gravity feed system. I imagine that is as simple as a reservoir elevated above the sump, hose and a float valve? No pumps, no electricity or anything required?

Sounds easy enough to rig up. If I built a platform for the 1,000 litre tote in the adjoining room I store my RODI in, I could theoretically use that as the reservoir too. Hmm. This is a good idea, as I suspect there will be a substantial amount of evaportion. Thank you.

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gravity feed system. I imagine that is as simple as a reservoir elevated above the sump, hose and a float valve? No pumps, no electricity or anything required?

Sounds easy enough to rig up. If I built a platform for the 1,000 litre tote in the adjoining room I store my RODI in, I could theoretically use that as the reservoir too. Hmm. This is a good idea, as I suspect there will be a substantial amount of evaportion. Thank you.
Two airline tubing segments, no float valve or electricity needed perhaps might be too small scale for that size tank I’m not sure

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back