ATO reservoir, auto top off...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
I’m going to automate the filling of my ATO reservoir, and not sure the best way of doing this and I’m hoping you all can chime in with suggestions.. my idea is to use a maxi doser to pump RODI water from the garage into the ATO reservoir, I’m thinking that using one of the standard ATO settings is the best way to control this, which one would you use? I’m thinking of a single optical sensor to control the filling, but with a second float overfill sensor that will stop a flood (justis this the best way forward? I currently use a tunze ATO for my tank, (which I will continue to do so) so I’m not sure exactly how GHL ATO works as I’ve never used it.
Cheers

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set this up today, using a 25L tank with an optical level sensor positioned half way up the tank set on ATO setting, works really well. With the maxi doser on speed 3 calibrated to 400ml i also set the maximum run time to 15 mins = 6L which won’t overflow the container. for an extra overfill safety measure I’ve used a float sensor positioned a few inches above the optical sensor, the only way I could think to do this was using programmable logic, using always on AND leakage detection to switch the entire dosing pump off. It works but there must be a better way of doing this, without losing all functionality of the doser, but as it stands it’s better than a flood. Any alternative ways would be great, ideally just turning off the doser head itself, advice chaps please.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH - Thanks for the tag!!

@Mortie31 I am using two sensors, and the Min and Max feature to refil my ATO. I also have used this for my Salt mixing setup also. I used this video and about 2:01 is how I configured mine. I also did a max time just in case the max sensor fails. when my leak detectors come will be the remaining fail safe :) (I am using two Float switches) But One could be float while the other is optical. I have had no issues with it. My Maxi turns on when the Min Float switch turns on and turns off when the top float switch activates.

Setup inside GCC Application
ATO_Refill.png

For my ATO for my Tank I am using the two optical sensors approach also in my sump but not the min and max as I want to try to keep it at the same level all the time but never over the second one.

I forgot to add for my ATO and the Maxi i am also using the container size and setting warning message. I have mine set to 18927 ML or 5 Gallons, and I warn when it down below 1892 ML ( 1/2 Gallon left). I use this more as an indication of how much water i am consuming.
ATO2_Refill.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks chaps, I’ve got the ATO bit sorted now, (I think) I’m using a single optical sensor, which seems to work well, saying that do you think the min- max way is better?
Its the emergency off that I’m not sure the best way to go. I can get a bit OTT with things and it’s probably not needed but I really don’t want a flooded floor.

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Mortie31 I am using two sensors, and the Min and Max feature to refil my ATO. I also have used this for my Salt mixing setup also. I used this video and about 2:01 is how I configured mine. I also did a max time just in case the max sensor fails. when my leak detectors come will be the remaining fail safe :) (I am using two Float switches) But One could be float while the other is optical. I have had no issues with it. My Maxi turns on when the Min Float switch turns on and turns off when the top float switch activates.

ATO_Refill.png

For my ATO for my Tank I am using the two optical sensors approach also in my sump but not the min and max as I want to try to keep it at the same level all the time but never over the second one.

I forgot to add for my ATO and the Maxi i am also using the container size and setting warning message. I have mine set to 18927 ML or 5 Gallons, and I warn when it down below 1892 ML ( 1/2 Gallon left). I use this more as an indication of how much water i am consuming.
ATO2_Refill.png

I did think about using my leakage sensor as well as a fail safe, unfortunately they only respond to salt water, so no good for n RO overfill.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting the timer is great security option if your going with only one sensor.

You could also add:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ro-f...MI-eTotuOT2gIV2rXACh2u_wHAEAQYASABEgI-p_D_BwE

This could act as your top level switch :)

And you can never have to much redundancy.
Yes I agree best to be safe, i use the max on time safety net and I’ve got a float level switch that turns the doser off if the level in my RO container gets to high. That gives me 3 things that have to fail for me to get flooded...

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ATO_Refill.png

ATO2_Refill.png

You are my go to GHL member, just wait till I get my system started, you'll wanna block your inbox;):cool:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 57 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back