Ato sensor position on AIO

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered a new Ato , with my previous ato I positioned the sensor in the last chamber where the return pump is but If I run filter floss it would cause it to go wacky due to the restriction in flow. Where does everyone run there ato sensor? was thinking of placing it in the display area.

Thanks in advance

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in with the return pump as that is where the water level changes as evaporation happens.

Why does your filter floss cause the level of water in the return pump section to "go wacky"? As it gets clogged it should start to allow water to flow over or around it and maintain a regular level. Maybe a photo would help us understand your situation.

I don't think putting it in the main tank will work. As water evaporates, your return pump and overflow wall will continue to flow the same amount of water to the main tank as always. That is, until the water level in the return pump section gets so low the pump starts to starve and suck air. BTW, I run 2 filter socks and they never disrupt the flow from the tank to the sump to the return pump.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in with the return pump as that is where the water level changes as evaporation happens.

Why does your filter floss cause the level of water in the return pump section to "go wacky"? As it gets clogged it should start to allow water to flow over or around it and maintain a regular level. Maybe a photo would help us understand your situation.

I don't think putting it in the main tank will work. As water evaporates, your return pump and overflow wall will continue to flow the same amount of water to the main tank as always. That is, until the water level in the return pump section gets so low the pump starts to starve and suck air. BTW, I run 2 filter socks and they never disrupt the flow from the tank to the sump to the return pump.

I have never had it overflow except for once and it was enough to cause a change in salinity from the ato turning on. I should say my tank is a 12g nano cube. in the first chamber I keep floss which usually gets replaced every 4 days without issues only a slight drop of maybe 1 inch in the return pump area. Have had it happen twice in the past were it will clog and the return starts to suck in air because the flow is so slow , even then it did not spill over, which I assumed it would have done, Going on a business trip so worried here are some picks of my set up.\

At the moment running a polishing pad so thats why its looking a little crusty thats from 24 hours of running.

1 (1).jpg
1 (2).jpg
1 (3).jpg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta go with @Ron Reefman on this. The return section is really the only logical place for the ATO sensor. Anywhere else would depend on the return pump running dry before you see an appreciable drop in water level. That would be very bad.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed ato monday and placed sensor in last area with return pump so far good. Thanks for the input will let you know if anything occurs.

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have any success on this? I have a 55 gallon tank with the fijicube AIO kit with two chambers. When my filter sock starts to clog a little, it reduces the water flow and lowers the level in the return pump area (second chamber). This has caused the ATO to put more water in the tank to compensate and raises the level of water in the tank. What am I missing?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue when I was running my 29 gallon AIO. At the time, I was topping off manually every day, so it wasn't as big a deal for me. Seems to me that the proper operation of the ATO depends entirely maintaining good flow to the return section. Either replace the socks more often or use a courser type of mechanical filtration. Maybe someone else has a workaround.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have any success on this? I have a 55 gallon tank with the fijicube AIO kit with two chambers. When my filter sock starts to clog a little, it reduces the water flow and lowers the level in the return pump area (second chamber). This has caused the ATO to put more water in the tank to compensate and raises the level of water in the tank. What am I missing?
I have the same setup, and question. With pads and socks, the return chamber level lowers after 3-4 days before I replace them. Won’t that cause more RODI to pump into my display, eventually overflowing it?

So far, with the sensor in my display, I’ve had no issues. Any thoughts?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, with the sensor in my display, I’ve had no issues. Any thoughts?
Not sure I understand. It's been quite a while since I've run an AIO, so forgive me if I miss the mark.
If everything is working properly, the water level in the display should remain constant, and any evaporation should show as a decreased level of water in the return section unless there's a way for the water to flow freely back from the display into the return. Basically keeping the return and display at the same level. Right? That's the only way I can figure that keeping the sensor in the display would work. Again, I'm sure I'm missing something.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes the I only notice evap in my return section. I have been running mine now in the return section since january. If my floss clogs it fluctuated I just replace it before it clogs.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved it to the return section, and my ATO went from turning on every few hours, to multiple times per hour. Is that normal?

I’m worried about burning the pump out.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what if you don’t catch it in time? Does it overflow your DT?
If I remember correctly, if the fliter floss clogs, it will overflow into the return section and raise the level of the return to the point where the ATO sensor will shut off the pump. Shouldn't overflow the display. Of course, when you remove the clogged floss, the level of the return will go above the sensor level.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved it to the return section, and my ATO went from turning on every few hours, to multiple times per hour. Is that normal?

I’m worried about burning the pump out.
Completely normal.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely normal.
So, now I’m noticing that my DT water level has been creeping up, and the salinity dropped from a rock solid 35 PPT, to 34.4 PPT.

I have no explanation as to why, but clearly this was working better when the sensor was in the DT. In less than a day, I’ve lost .6 PPT, and the DT is starting to get to the point of overflowing.

I wonder if it has something to do with the FijiCube AIO insert. I’ll email them.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, now I’m noticing that my DT water level has been creeping up, and the salinity dropped from a rock solid 35 PPT, to 34.4 PPT.

I have no explanation as to why, but clearly this was working better when the sensor was in the DT. In less than a day, I’ve lost .6 PPT, and the DT is starting to get to the point of overflowing.

I wonder if it has something to do with the FijiCube AIO insert. I’ll email them.

Sorry. I'm at a complete loss. I certainly don't want to mislead you. When you get an answer from FigiCube, can you let us know what you find out? I'd be very interested to know the answer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back