ATO suggestions for nano tanks

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those of you who run tanks 20 gallons or less, what ATO systems do you use? I'd like to put one on my 13.5 EVO. I'll be going out of town in December for a week or so and don't trust those in my house to top off my reef tank. All recommendations are appreciated!

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 of these in production, but it seems like they've been discontinued.. I'd definitely buy one from that manufacturer again based on how reliable they've been for me. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-ato-micro-120p-auto-top-off-system-autoaqua.html

Edit 9/28 - I jinxed myself.. The ATO I have on my 60g cube decided to go haywire and dump my entire reservoir in to the sump yesterday. I sized it right so it wouldn't cause a flood, but still no bueno..

Last edited:

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my Evo 13.5 I like to do manual top off. I fill up a jug with Rodi water and it lasts me 3-4 days.

I add water every night before I go to bed and everyone seems happy.

I know that’s not what you asked but sometimes other ways can be interesting too.

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the no-nonsense straight-forward Reef Breeders Prism ATO

For reservoirs----
Lo-fi Version
Rubbermaid Commercial Products 22 Quart, Clear

Hi-fi Version
HydroFill™ Ti ATO Water Reservoir

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the Reef Breeders Prism. A simple design, with its 12 volt pump and control the 120 volts power connection is far away from the water. Everything was included, except some wire ties I used. Maintenance is easy, just use a soft toothbrush to clean the sensor once a month. Easy to check the operation, just lift the sensor up.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atomos and @SteveMM62Reef this ATO is an interesting option that I've looked at, mind if I pick your brains about a couple of things? (if not, just don't answer :-D )

1) How far up is the high level sensor on the prism stick? (and how tall is the stick overall)
2) Lots of reviews on the BRS website state it always fills past the high and hits the failsafe mark, essentially overfilling though not spilling out of the tank, has that also been your experience with it?

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the JBJ ato ive had since January! It’s great for me
this is the one that I'm looking at. I've been looking at all the reviews on BRS and they are very mixed (but they are on all of the ATOs - makes me wonder if people don't do maintenance or what), but I love the size, the fact it can go in the display and price isn't the worst ever. Some of the nano ATOs seem like the water has to drop substantially for it to kick on and that doesn't seem like the case on this one. 1" of water on the Prism seems like quite the swing in high/low levels.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a JBJ Nano and it very reliable...so far (2 months). If you get it though be sure to set it up via the instructions and do the same procedure any time you turn the ATO off (besides high/low it also times the initial fill to use as a failsafe--if you don't have it slightly below the low water sensor when you start it it may not fill completely on a subsequent fill before the time out, fail with a time out error and just stop working). The instructions are pretty clear but you can't get sloppy if you restart it or it will fail.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those of you who run tanks 20 gallons or less, what ATO systems do you use? I'd like to put one on my 13.5 EVO. I'll be going out of town in December for a week or so and don't trust those in my house to top off my reef tank. All recommendations are appreciated!
Tunze 3152. Classic, affordable, bulletproof. I have prob had a dozen Tunze ATOs over the last 20 years, never a major malfunction

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Tunze 3155 for my 15 gallon. Not pretty, but reliable and can be used for an upgrade.

1.JPG

2.JPG

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atomos and @SteveMM62Reef this ATO is an interesting option that I've looked at, mind if I pick your brains about a couple of things? (if not, just don't answer :-D )

1) How far up is the high level sensor on the prism stick? (and how tall is the stick overall)
2) Lots of reviews on the BRS website state it always fills past the high and hits the failsafe mark, essentially overfilling though not spilling out of the tank, has that also been your experience with it?
Sure happy to answer any questions you have....

1) After a bit of testing out different spots, the "ideal spot" I hope the sensor is in now is keeping the water levels within a mere millimeters or centimeters from the maximum fill line for the tank overall (hope this ramble made sense....LOL).

IMG_4852.jpg

2) Short but long answer: No....... but I think if you have it dialed in to where you'd like it to be placed...you shouldn't see the overflow issues that others have mentioned. When there are water changes, we usually will refill the tank to a certain spot (using the IM logo sticker) as a guide....then when things are back on....the tank water level is fine and the ATO doesn't even kick in to top up. When we first started it, we placed it in the wrong spot and sure enough, the ATO would seem to keep topping up....but since fine-tuning and experimenting a bit, the ATO's performance has been spot-on to our "Lo-Fi" expectations. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back