ATO That Isn’t A $300 Tunze?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it, the general consensus is that the Tunze Osmolator-3155 is about the best ATO you can get, and I am not necessarily objected to getting one. However, as we all know, times are tight and the wallet is getting tighter.

I’m just wondering if anyone has recommendations or suggestions for less expensive ATOs that will still get the job done and not quit in 3 months. I’ve looked at a couple other makes/models, but there tend to be as many bad reviews as good. So I figure I should ask y’all first before placing my order.

MACHO

R-E-E-F-I-N-G What does that spell!! Money Pit!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it, the general consensus is that the Tunze Osmolator-3155 is about the best ATO you can get, and I am not necessarily objected to getting one. However, as we all know, times are tight and the wallet is getting tighter.

I’m just wondering if anyone has recommendations or suggestions for less expensive ATOs that will still get the job done and not quit in 3 months. I’ve looked at a couple other makes/models, but there tend to be as many bad reviews as good. So I figure I should ask y’all first before placing my order.
neptune apex atk is my favorite never had any issues xp aqua is alright and tunze has a nano but depending on how big the tank is it shouldnt be too much of a problem

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on a tight budget myself. The tunze is the one place I did not skimp. Major reason your ato is the most likely to cause a over flow. The tunze has a float switch to prevent this from happening

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duetto

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jbj. Only ato I've used in the last 3 or 4 years. Need to add a pump of your choice. Mechanical float switches with low rate of failure (have never had one fail myself) . I have one in my sump that hasn't been cleaned in over 3 years. I wrapped it in piece of nylon stocking when I installed it to keep snails out and haven't touched it since. Nothing high tech they just work.
Screenshot_20230121_005249_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neptune apex atk is my favorite never had any issues xp aqua is alright and tunze has a nano but depending on how big the tank is it shouldnt be too much of a problem
I was looking at the nano, but my tank has about 300 gallons between the display and sump. Sump glass is also 0.5”

The XP seems to be another popular option based off the comments. My preferred store has the duetto and what appears to be a newer one with 4 sensors, but it’s close to the Tunze.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tunze nano (3152) on my 90 gallon and like it better than the 3155. Only has a single float switch, no optical sensor, so less redundancy than the 3155, but it's worked well enough that I plan to use another 3152 on my new 140 gallon.
The 1/2 inch glass could be an issue but you could probably add a stronger magnet to the outside...

MACHO

R-E-E-F-I-N-G What does that spell!! Money Pit!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the nano, but my tank has about 300 gallons between the display and sump. Sump glass is also 0.5”

The XP seems to be another popular option based off the comments. My preferred store has the duetto and what appears to be a newer one with 4 sensors, but it’s close to the Tunze.
i agree with the other posts on here i would not skimp on an ato get a quality especially since you have 300 odd gallons but like variant sad the xp is a good cheap option.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tunze nano (3152) on my 90 gallon and like it better than the 3155. Only has a single float switch, no optical sensor, so less redundancy than the 3155, but it's worked well enough that I plan to use another 3152 on my new 140 gallon.
The 1/2 inch glass could be an issue but you could probably add a stronger magnet to the outside...
Edit:. I just tried the 3152 magnets on my 1/2" tank glass and it is fine. The magnets are pretty darn strong so watch your fingers when putting them together!

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great suggestions, I appreciate it. I think some of the comments have really made me think that a Tunze is the way to go. Really shouldn’t skimp out when it comes to the well being of my animals.

I do however have a question in regards to the sensors, as I haven’t actually run an ATO up to this point.

I get float switches need to be cleaned and kept debris/snail free to ensure proper function. What about optical sensors? I’m not rightly sure how these work, and am wondering if my refugium light is going to cause problems with optical sensors? Because of the sheer size and depth of my sump (it’s a 150 gallon aquarium I got for less than the price of a prefab sump and modified), so I’m running a pretty powerful light for the chaeto that illuminates the entire sump. Though not so much that it grows algae in the pump compartment.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great suggestions, I appreciate it. I think some of the comments have really made me think that a Tunze is the way to go. Really shouldn’t skimp out when it comes to the well being of my animals.

I do however have a question in regards to the sensors, as I haven’t actually run an ATO up to this point.

I get float switches need to be cleaned and kept debris/snail free to ensure proper function. What about optical sensors? I’m not rightly sure how these work, and am wondering if my refugium light is going to cause problems with optical sensors? Because of the sheer size and depth of my sump (it’s a 150 gallon aquarium I got for less than the price of a prefab sump and modified), so I’m running a pretty powerful light for the chaeto that illuminates the entire sump. Though not so much that it grows algae in the pump compartment.
I guess all sensors and brands are different.
I've had one optical sensor failed, but several times a flowsensor getting stuck.
Nothing is 100% safe, so best is to have more than one safety feature.
I use an optical sensor with a magnetic valve on a siphon system, but also have a maximum on time, and simple float valve.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On the Tunze at least, the optical sensor senses whether it is under water or not. It's not a light sensor in the usual, well, sense, lol.

And yes, the Tunze float switch housing should be inspected periodically for small critters...

I don't think you're going to go wrong choosing any of the ones people have mentioned. There are also gravity fed ATOs which work well too and all you really need there is a bulb float switch.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own with a couple of float switches, small 12v DC pump and a 20litre water container. works really well for a cost of about $10. A fellow member mentioned he had his on a timer that switched on the power supply 4 times a day for 1 minute and I copied this... IMO you dont need to spend $300

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jbj. Only ato I've used in the last 3 or 4 years. Need to add a pump of your choice. Mechanical float switches with low rate of failure (have never had one fail myself) . I have one in my sump that hasn't been cleaned in over 3 years. I wrapped it in piece of nylon stocking when I installed it to keep snails out and haven't touched it since. Nothing high tech they just work.
Screenshot_20230121_005249_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I used one of these without a single failure for 11 years before it bit the dust finally. Would not hesitate to use one again. Only reason I switched to the Tunze is I managed a brand new one for about the same price as a JBJ so I thought I'd try it out

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would check both every time you fill the ato, not because you need to, just so you never forget.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had a gravity based solutions with no pumps, no sensors and no nonsense; but naturally this has to be placed above your sump somehow and is not easy to make room for if your setup is not build for it already.

In my humble opinion, a gravity fed ATO with a float will always be safer than a pump with sensors provided proper maintenance is done in time. Keep it simple you know!

I hope you find a solution that works for you! :)

Note: Same solution goes for the cold water supply for my house with a water container in the attic

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running for 2 years now, I am very pleased with my reefbreeders prism ato

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My current ATO on my 240 has been in use for about 10 years. It's the JBJ ATO. Works great. I use a long lived max-jet pump to move the water.
My other ATO is the Tsunami AT-1 and it's been in service for 7-8 years. I do use the Tom's Aqualifter and they are getting hard to find.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back