Aussie Elegance Look

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a bunch of different pictures of Elegance corals and there appears to be quite a range of what is considered a healthy looking coral.

Some have tentacles that are super long and flowing while others are shorter. I am trying to gauge the health of one purely by look and comparison to existing images and posts. Should it always have super extended tentacles? What's the best way to gage the health of this coral?

I am fairly certain it is an Australian due to the shape of the skeleton. It is more of a wall shape than cone. At least that's what I found in a search here.

This is what it looks like most of the day. However, it will start to close up earlier than the other inhabitants of the tank like torch, zoas and duncan. It opens a bit earlier that the others as well. Basically, is tentacle length a sign of health or lighting or flow?

LRM_EXPORT_20171128_173556.jpg

jbow50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. The tentacles seem to come out more in an uln system in my experience. My assumption is it's begging for food when the tentacles are that long combined with low flow make them even longer. I wouldn't bother feeding yours. If you do maybe once a week or twice a month. And just like you said it appears to be an Australian variety because indos like dirty water perse and yours looks pretty pristine. Good luck!

Rajil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a bunch of different pictures of Elegance corals and there appears to be quite a range of what is considered a healthy looking coral.

Some have tentacles that are super long and flowing while others are shorter. I am trying to gauge the health of one purely by look and comparison to existing images and posts. Should it always have super extended tentacles? What's the best way to gage the health of this coral?

I am fairly certain it is an Australian due to the shape of the skeleton. It is more of a wall shape than cone. At least that's what I found in a search here.

This is what it looks like most of the day. However, it will start to close up earlier than the other inhabitants of the tank like torch, zoas and duncan. It opens a bit earlier that the others as well. Basically, is tentacle length a sign of health or lighting or flow?

LRM_EXPORT_20171128_173556.jpg
We have had this one over a year now. It opens up about a little more than this at times.
df4c427c319ca2416106580a024315e8.jpg

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the elegance is withdrawing late in the day, and expanding before the lights come back on, it's usually a sign that the lighting is to strong for the amount of time it's on. The coral typically withdraws a little more than normal as well. When the lights come on, the zooxanthellae begin producing O2. The more intense the lighting, the faster they produce O2. The longer the light is on, the more O2 they produced. O2 inside the corals tissues can be deadly at high levels.
So..... O2 builds throughout the day until it reaches stressful levels late in the evening, but before the lights go out. The coral begins to withdraw due to this stress. When the lights go out, O2 production stops. The internal O2 level slowly drops through the night and stops being stressful some time before the lights come back on. The coral is now able to re-inflate. Then a short time later, the lights come back on, and the process starts all over.
Given enough time, the coral may be able to discharge a portion of its zooxanthellae, reducing O2 production within its tissues, and correcting this issue all by itself. Unfortunately, elegance corals really suck at doing this. Personally, I would help the coral out by reducing the photo period and/or the intensity of the lighting, until the coral stops withdrawing early. After the lights have gone out it's common for them to withdraw and remain somewhat withdrawn throughout the night. During this time, the byproducts of photosynthesis, like O2, will be depleted, or reduced. When the lights come back on photosynthesis begins again and the process starts all over.
HTH
Peace
EC

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EleganceCoral, thanks for the input! I did some reading and searching and i think ypu are dead on and I like your explination of how the events are unfolding.

I made a change last night and want tonrun it past you.

I had the coral in the center of the tank under full lighting.
It was also put in the sand in a pointing up position.
It has medium flow in that position.
The tank is a 220g so it is deeper than other 6 foot tanks.

I moved it to a place in the tanknwhere it has less flow and less light. I achieved the lower light by placing it closer to the base of a stack of coralmso it is somewhat shielded from direct light but still get light. I also laid it on its side since I read this is their natural position.

I will leave it here for a week or two to let it acclimate and hope it likes it better. Am i on the right track? I will also post pictures tonight when i get home.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know who wrote that the elegance coral's natural position is on its side, but that's not accurate. I'm sure there are individuals that end up in that position, but I can see no benefit to it.
There is a thin layer of tissue that overlaps the top edge of the skeleton on a healthy elegance. If the coral is placed on its side, this delicate tissue is pressed between the sharp edges of the skeleton and what ever the coral is laying on. Naturally, this can lead to tissue damage, infection, and possibly the loss of the coral.
I always secure the bottom portion of the skeleton, below the tissue level, in an upright, or semi-upright position. Maybe tilted enough to give me a better view of the coral, but never in a position where the top edge of the coral skeleton is making contact with anything.
Sounds like you're on the right track as far as lighting is concerned. Just don't be in a hurry. Elegance corals are very slow at adapting to new lighting and adjusting zooxanthellae population.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the source of the info. The website layout is terrible but there is quite a bit of information contained within.

As far as position I think it may be more like you describe where they can be horizontal but care must be taken to maintain clearance for the tissue overlap. Here is the quote.

1) Placed in horizontal orientation, point down, mouths and tentacles facing upward,

NOT in vertical settings as they are often arranged in reef systems. They really need to be placed "on their backs"

I think from looking at the pictures that its not flat and burried in the sand but more of a not pointing straight up and more aligned with as you state where its laying down but with clearance... hard to describe in typing.... lol.

I will be patient this time. Admitidly difficult for me but i domwant whats best for the animalm and want it to thrive but if it gets to the point where i realize i cant support it inwillmfind it a home. I will not allow it to just wilt and die while i watch.

I think a picture will help and imwill get one tonight for you to look at.

Currentl tank parameters are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 3 to 5
Phosphate 0.02
Salinity 1.026
Alk 8.3
Ph 7.9
Temp 78 to 79

Rajil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys just bought my first aussi elegance what are your thought on it’s Health one week in tank?
9b7abc42d98ab52b6e01140e2c44475b.heic
Looks good, careful with the rock placement choice though. We recently moved ours to a perch now that's it's heavy and big enough to not be knocked off easily. Had it for a year and a few months now.
39981e16fd9bad6c4825809e56b5595c.jpg
14a06aeeb36f94b68ae9e59d02c76bef.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back