Aussie Spider Sponge care tips?

  • Thread starter Thread starter skr791346
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
About six months since purchase. Still holding strong.

652863F4-C805-4D51-A092-B18FABB6ADE5.jpeg
 
Bought m
About six months since purchase. Still holding strong.

652863F4-C805-4D51-A092-B18FABB6ADE5.jpeg
Looks really nice.
I bought my Aussie Spider a few months ago.
Unfortunately quite a few polyps.
Anyway to reduce or get rid of them?
I have been dosing Sponge Power every other day. No noticeable affect.
Also dose reef roids for my other corals. I guess those white polyps like it.
The funny thing is I have a Sun Coral and no matter how much I feed it, it is just hanging on.
BTW I also tried dosing silica for the sponge. I'm wondering whether I should resume.
 
Bought m

Looks really nice.
I bought my Aussie Spider a few months ago.
Unfortunately quite a few polyps.
Anyway to reduce or get rid of them?
I have been dosing Sponge Power every other day. No noticeable affect.
Also dose reef roids for my other corals. I guess those white polyps like it.
The funny thing is I have a Sun Coral and no matter how much I feed it, it is just hanging on.
BTW I also tried dosing silica for the sponge. I'm wondering whether I should resume.
Any Update on this? Recently received one in a shipment! Realized that phyto and reef roids will not be enough and will need to purchase sponge power tomorrow!
 
Any Update on this? Recently received one in a shipment! Realized that phyto and reef roids will not be enough and will need to purchase sponge power tomorrow!
Oh, the Sponge withered away shortly thereafter.
However, there is some information that may be useful:
I recall that it was advised by someone from Unique Corals (who I got the Sponge from) to keep Nitrates at 5 PPM.
At the time my Nitrates were extremely low and even feeding heavy, I could not raise them to 5.
Fast forward a couple of years and began dosing Nitrate to the tank.
Aside from the benefit to my Goni's, I have been able to keep photosynthetic Gorgonians, which, similar to sponge, had been problematic in my tank.
I'm speculating that the higher NO3 level would be beneficial for sponges and help maintain them, long term.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new