Auto roll fleece mat

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, planning to make an auto roll fleece mat as anything off the shelf is ... well expensive and has limited capacity.

Need something that will service the 1800g tank I am planning to build. However the motorised bit and electronics isn’t something I’m familiar with.

Can pretty much turn my hand to most things but could do with some tech support on this from anyone in the know on that sort of mechanisation. Thanks

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, planning to make an auto roll fleece mat as anything off the shelf is ... well expensive and has limited capacity.

Need something that will service the 1800g tank I am planning to build. However the motorised bit and electronics isn’t something I’m familiar with.

Can pretty much turn my hand to most things but could do with some tech support on this from anyone in the know on that sort of mechanisation. Thanks

You may find the thread below interesting and informative.

OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find the thread below interesting and informative.

Thanks most grateful

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just being looking at Sean’s awesome DT. Similar capacity to my own so hopefully I can tap in and learn some valuable lessons.

OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is on my DIY list as well.
Maybe we can share notes. I’m a while off yet. Still have lots of other stuff to do like finish my house well progress a bit further (which in my world means to build my tank) have sent out my glass order enquiry.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been thinking about it allot lately as I have to start working on something. My roller mat is going to sit inside a big rubbermaid tote and has to pass about 4,000 GPH of flow. To that end, I will be using the 24" wide filter paper.

What I can't seem to decide is how tall to make the filter section. I see that many of the retail market roller mats are tall and skinny. I realize the weight of the water helps it pass through the filter paper But I can also make my paper section pretty long. I have as much space as I want as it is going in my fish room under my 600g tank.

I am thinking that the filter section will be 12" tall, 24" wide, and about 8" long (8" long "flat bottom section") I found this material to use to support the filter paper.

It should be stiff enough to support the paper while still allowing for good flow.

OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been thinking about it allot lately as I have to start working on something. My roller mat is going to sit inside a big rubbermaid tote and has to pass about 4,000 GPH of flow. To that end, I will be using the 24" wide filter paper.

What I can't seem to decide is how tall to make the filter section. I see that many of the retail market roller mats are tall and skinny. I realize the weight of the water helps it pass through the filter paper But I can also make my paper section pretty long. I have as much space as I want as it is going in my fish room under my 600g tank.

I am thinking that the filter section will be 12" tall, 24" wide, and about 8" long (8" long "flat bottom section") I found this material to use to support the filter paper.

It should be stiff enough to support the paper while still allowing for good flow.
That looks suitable. Slightly off topic but a related issue Im Just looking at DT circulation flow rates and what pumps I might need. I don’t really like power heads in the tank and I need to think about ease of maintenance.

I don’t want to be mucking about in a 2.7 mtr tank off step ladders. Having scoped my tank inlets for flow and current regulation I think I am looking at 36 x 15mm bulkhead inlets. But at 30x turnover mediumish flow thats about 54000 g an hour. Struggling to find suitable pumps. I thought I might go with 4 pumps and alternate connections and switch the pumps at different times. But even if I look at Eheim 5000 (good sturdy workhorse which I’ve used b4), they can only handle 1000 g / hr which means I would need 54 pumps which isn’t realistic. Unless I am missing something? Quite how much flow I should put through the filtermat or how I should size it, not sure at the mo.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am building a 600g tank right now. I have a reef flow hammerhead pump that pushes 5k gph but I am also feeding UV, reactors and frag tanks with it. For the ease of maintenance and cash outlay you really cant beat a closed loop system. Jebao now has 2500 gph return pumps that have a wave mode. You could use two pumps to feed a total of 4 or 6 outlets and have more than enough flow. Plus its flow in the areas that are traditionally really hard to get to.

People love to raise their nose at Jebao because they are "cheap chinese crap" but I tell you what, I have a Jebao return pump that has been running for over 5 years on my FW system and I have a broken out of warranty vectra in a drawer. Could have bought 3 jebaos for the cost of that vectra.

OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am building a 600g tank right now. I have a reef flow hammerhead pump that pushes 5k gph but I am also feeding UV, reactors and frag tanks with it. For the ease of maintenance and cash outlay you really cant beat a closed loop system. Jebao now has 2500 gph return pumps that have a wave mode. You could use two pumps to feed a total of 4 or 6 outlets and have more than enough flow. Plus its flow in the areas that are traditionally really hard to get to.

People love to raise their nose at Jebao because they are "cheap chinese crap" but I tell you what, I have a Jebao return pump that has been running for over 5 years on my FW system and I have a broken out of warranty vectra in a drawer. Could have bought 3 jebaos for the cost of that vectra.
Will take a look thanks. Someone’s just pushed me over to Abyzz - German tech but hefty. Nice pump though. They do a beast 58k g / hr usd rrp 8.5k bucks

OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’ve got my flows right I would need 10 of those to turn over 54k g but affordable at £150 a piece whereas 3 abyzz 400 would be 2k a piece.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered this motor. Hopefully it is strong enough. Should be. The advantages being it is geared and has mounting screws and a mounting plate for the roller already.

OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered this motor. Hopefully it is strong enough. Should be. The advantages being it is geared and has mounting screws and a mounting plate for the roller already.
That looks like it should do the job

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back