Auto shut off valve on RO/DI system.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these thing supposed to lower pressure going into the membrane?

I installed an auto shut off valve so I can automate my water system. I also added a drinking water add on kit at the same time.

Long story short, my pressure going into the membrane dropped from 75 psi down to 50 psi. The production of water seems to have slowed as well. I checked the install several times and I'm 99% sure it's hooked up right.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

I'll tag @Buckeye Hydro as this kit came from Russ.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
just thought, do you have a check valve on the line out of the membrane housing that feeds the pressure tank?

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just thought, do you have a check valve on the line out of the membrane housing that feeds the pressure tank?

There's a check valve between the permeate line and the shut off valve. And another check valve between the low pressure output on the ASOV and the inline carbon filter. The check valves have a red release ring on the output side of the valve.

Here's a pic of the jumbled mess of hoses I have going on right now. I want to clean this up but need to make sure this is working before I do. Don't want to undo everything if it isn't right.
20190521_172320.jpg
20190521_172306.jpg
20190520_173052.jpg

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these thing supposed to lower pressure going into the membrane?

I installed an auto shut off valve so I can automate my water system. I also added a drinking water add on kit at the same time.

Long story short, my pressure going into the membrane dropped from 75 psi down to 50 psi. The production of water seems to have slowed as well. I checked the install several times and I'm 99% sure it's hooked up right.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

I'll tag @Buckeye Hydro as this kit came from Russ.

Should we be notified when someone tags us?

Anyway... no - you shouldn't expect a substantial drop in incoming pressure when you install an ASOV.
When you add a drinking water add on kit you will see an increase in BACK pressure. RO membranes are dramatically affected by their NET DRIVING PRESSURE. That is calculated as:
Feed Water Pressure minus Back Pressure

When a typical ASOV is installed, back pressure from a filled tank will be about 66% of incoming pressure.

Make sense?

Russ

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a check valve between the permeate line and the shut off valve. And another check valve between the low pressure output on the ASOV and the inline carbon filter. The check valves have a red release ring on the output side of the valve.

Here's a pic of the jumbled mess of hoses I have going on right now. I want to clean this up but need to make sure this is working before I do. Don't want to undo everything if it isn't right.
20190521_172320.jpg
20190521_172306.jpg
20190520_173052.jpg
Looks like there is an error in the plumbing mods you've made. Want to give us a call when you're in front of the system?

Russ

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your left hand housing "in" connected to your center housing "out"?

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your left hand housing "in" connected to your center housing "out"?

I'll have to double check when I get home from work.

The top three canisters flow right to left and the bottom 3 (DI stages) flow left to right.

Here's the order it's setup in;

Sediment
Carbon
Carbon
In on ASOV (labeled IN)
Out on ASOV (labeled OUT)
Into ro membrane
Out of ro membrane
Through check valve
In side with screws of ASOV
Out of ASOV
Into a T
That T feeds DI, pressure tank and inline carbon filter. I have a valve installed to shut off flow to the DI when not in use. There is a check valve on the line that flows to the inline carbon filter/pressure tank.

Hope that makes sense.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
understood. The potential issue I see is that in its original configuration, the middle housing DID NOT flow to the left hand housing -- it flowed up to the membrane. I can't tell from your pics how the middle housing and the left housing are attached, if at all.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
understood. The potential issue I see is that in its original configuration, the middle housing DID NOT flow to the left hand housing -- it flowed up to the membrane. I can't tell from your pics how the middle housing and the left housing are attached, if at all.

Gotcha. I did reroute the tubing to go through the third canister before the membrane.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing. Is the RO water that goes to your DI coming out of the pressure tank?

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing. Is the RO water that goes to your DI coming out of the pressure tank?

The RO water does not flow from the pressure tank through the DI. There's a check valve to prevent that. It's installed on the line that feed the inline carbon filter and pressure tank. Water shouldn't be able to back flow through the DI.

Nathan Aubin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a similar issue my ASOV vibrates and seems to open making a loud vibrating sound. My setup is as directed. Any thoughts.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure - might want to give us a call when you are in front of your system and let's see what we can figure out.

Russ
513-312-2343

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back