auto wc question

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- so my wastewater line from my dos pump is cavitating. now. i see or find no leaks and the fitting is tight at the dosing head no sure what's going on any ideas?. the water in line has a solid stream but the water out is just spitting what's the fix? it was doing fine for months.. soooooo yeh I'm a bit confused.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, i have not. i assume you're talking about replacing the suspect line with a new one? why would i swape or replace the line if it was working perfectly before.

Last edited:

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen with my GHL MAXI when a very small bristle worm found it's way into the waste line. I cleaned everything out and fitted a piece of very course sponge over the end of the waste tube. It's been working great for over a year. Didn't even have to recalibrate.

I would definitely open it up to see if there is a blockage.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so..... a blockage maybe i will look into that now but i did some testing this morning and heres what i know

so I went thru the recalibration set up for this dos pump. there were 38 MLS of water coming out of both heads (it's not 40 but it was equal numbers).

I Then started the manual wc again and monitored the water in at (790 ish MLS) and water out at (650mls) apex says the amounts added and removed are equal at 793 MLS but they do not measure equally.
20210528_101417.jpg

20210528_100435.jpg

I then and recorded the streams of water coming from each pump. the water inline (red) is a solid flow, but the water outline is spitting and is not a solid flow.

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try swapping the DOS heads to see if the problem follows the head to the Add side. If it does, then it’s time to replace that head. If the problem remains on the Remove side, then it’s likely the tubing.

Also, when reconnecting the tubes during this swap, be sure to soak them in near-boiling water to soften the tubing before attaching to the DOS fittings to ensure an air-tight seal.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i have blown out all the lines with compressed air, recut, heated, and reattached the lines to the right dose head using tef tap as a CYA., and still no improvement. I'm only pulling out 650 mls vs 790mls in (per apex) i will swap the heads now.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back