auto wc's using a neptune dos.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im pondering reinstalling my auto water change using a neptune dos pump. i had it set up awhile back and determined that you can scoop out and add one too 5 gallons of water daily, way faster than the dos can pull it out. with very little impact to my WP'S... so why would One install an auto wc pump on a 150G REEF?

I understand the upside for massive water changs at 30g a day.. but for mi or water changes i do not see the up side....I also had to take time to prime the lines from Time to time.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you can technically change up to 30ish gallons of water a day with the Neptune dos. I'd say its less about how long the system takes to do a water change and more about the fact its not time and effort you spend doing it. I personally bought a Kamoer water change system during black friday. The DOS is only rated for 250mL/Min and the Kamoer system is rated at 900mL/min. So the speed and capability of the Kamoer is seperior to the DOS. So I'd say it depends on the AWC system you choose.

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right that the Neptune DOS pumps are not really set up for AWC in large amounts at a time, per se. That said, they do fine with smaller volumes more frequently.
You could easily do 1-2% per week on a simple schedule with the DOS (or similar hardware). Advantage comes with consistency of smaller and more frequent changes (hypothetically) and the “set it and forget it” approach.
That said, every solution has its potential downfalls.
In my 100g I had it put in NSW every other day and pull waste water into the drain at the same time and it was pretty flawless. Only issues occurred when I made mistakes to programming.
I found the DOS to be loud at higher speeds for my liking so I put them in the garage which was also near my reservoirs. Just ran the required lines through the wall to the garage.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my DOS to change 1 gallon a day. Sure, I could scoop out a gallon and scoop in a gallon. But I like to not have to worry about doing it manually. Can go on vacation and still do water changes. Gets done daily, at the same time. Just easier for me.

corey

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine pulls roughly 4 gallons a day, spread out all day long. In addition to not having to manually do the water changes, it keeps things more stable doing smaller amounts all day long as opposed to one large weekly change.

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine pulls roughly 4 gallons a day, spread out all day long. In addition to not having to manually do the water changes, it keeps things more stable doing smaller amounts all day long as opposed to one large weekly change.
Do you run code to turn off your ATO so it wont dump in fresh water while you are pulling out old wanter and dumping in new water?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
+1 but 3.8 gallons ;)

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you run code to turn off your ATO so it wont dump in fresh water while you are pulling out old wanter and dumping in new water?
It removes and replaces simultaneously :) no need to mess with ato if dos is calibrated properly

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No....the water that is sucked out is returned at exactly the same rate...the water level in the sump never changes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back