Automatic Water Change #1

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opted to have an auto-water change system built into mine when I set it up. Given the volume of water being made and moved I opted to use PanWorld pumps instead of a dosing setup. The build thread provides plenty of details and also a video of how it all works. But I can tell you it has (and continues) to make a huge difference in my regimen. Being able to do 100g water changes (or 200 if I use both cannisters) in only about 10 mins without ever touching water is a great motivator.

70. Water change system done .jpg
71. Water change system done 2 .jpg
@CoralReefer2110 -Who does 100-gallon water changes? WOW, what size tank do you have mate where you have to do 100-gallon water changes unless you have mutable tanks?
Man, when I do my water changes I will only tank out like a gallon and a half a day! Tell you what, if you do a lot smaller water changes and more frequent, your fish and corals will love you even more :) Either way nice saltwater mixing station set up. Those PANWORLD pumps are not the most reliable pumps, at least in my case! My Panworld pump broke in 6 months so I replaced it with a reef Octo Varios4 for my pump to do the transferring and mixing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful when you put in auto-change systems. You end up "stocking up on salt so you won't run out". LOL....

Hey, on the upside, if Tampa Bay ever needed a 20% water change I've got it covered. :)

IMG_9429.jpg
IMG_9430.jpg

Honey, I’m not really sure what happened - Must have selected pallet not case ......

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CoralReefer2110 -Who does 100-gallon water changes? WOW, what size tank do you have mate where you have to do 100-gallon water changes unless you have mutable tanks?
Man, when I do my water changes I will only tank out like a gallon and a half a day! Tell you what, if you do a lot smaller water changes and more frequent, your fish and corals will love you even more :) Either way nice saltwater mixing station set up. Those PANWORLD pumps are not the most reliable pumps, at least in my case! My Panworld pump broke in 6 months so I replaced it with a reef Octo Varios4 for my pump to do the transferring and mixing.

FLSharkvictim,
The system is a little over 1000g so the 100 per week seems a pretty basic arrangement. You can do a 200 pretty easy just by using up the Auto Top off cannister as well. I actually did it the other day as I added a bunch of new corals and fish so after things slimed off and I fed heavy to keep everyone chill it was nice way to tidy up the water.
As for the PanWorlds's, that's the first I'd heard that so I'm appreciative of the tip. Hopefully I don't run into any issues but in the event I do I'm grateful for knowing what to get next.
We can take it offline but I see you're in Reddington so not that far away. If you're ever in the neighborhood we can connect.
Cheers.

FL Gator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful when you put in auto-change systems. You end up "stocking up on salt so you won't run out". LOL....

Hey, on the upside, if Tampa Bay ever needed a 20% water change I've got it covered. :)

IMG_9429.jpg
IMG_9430.jpg
I live in Tampa lol! Where did you get a pallet of salt?

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FL Gator,
I would be happy to set you up with the person who assisted me in getting the pallet. He is one of the guys who has built my system (as well as many others here on R2R). I don't know all the rules around namedropping vendors and such so just message me offline and I can get the two of you introduced. It should be fairly obvious if you look through my build thread. It was awesome having it delivered right to my house. Not as awesome lifting all those boxes off the pallet and then stacking them up but hey, nothing good in this hobby is ever easy... :)

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FL Gator,
I would be happy to set you up with the person who assisted me in getting the pallet. He is one of the guys who has built my system (as well as many others here on R2R). I don't know all the rules around namedropping vendors and such so just message me offline and I can get the two of you introduced. It should be fairly obvious if you look through my build thread. It was awesome having it delivered right to my house. Not as awesome lifting all those boxes off the pallet and then stacking them up but hey, nothing good in this hobby is ever easy... :)

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FL Gator,

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FL Gator,

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FL Gator,

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FL Gator,

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fl Gator,
I'd be happy to put you in touch with the guy who got me that pallet. I'm not sure all the rules around namedropping and vendors and such so just send me an offline note if you are serious about getting one. Chris is awesome to work with and you can see the quality of his work in my build thread as well as some comments from others on R2R who have worked with him. Getting the pallet delivered to my house was awesome and easy. Now the unpacking and stacking all of the boxes wasn't quite so much fun but hey, nothing good in this hobby happens easily right?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to have a separate apex to control it, or can it work without it? I want to put mine in the basement, but I don't want to get an other Apex.
Well, my apex is in the basement too LOL. Even if not, just run a long aquabus/usb cable.

HKAVR45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to have a separate apex to control it, or can it work without it? I want to put mine in the basement, but I don't want to get an other Apex.

I ran an extra long usb cable from the head unit to the dos in my basement that operates the AWC. I purchased the cable from the following site which is the same place others have purchased it from.

www.usbfirewire.com

Part number:
RR-APEX-75

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back