Automatic Water Change #1

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opted to have an auto-water change system built into mine when I set it up. Given the volume of water being made and moved I opted to use PanWorld pumps instead of a dosing setup. The build thread provides plenty of details and also a video of how it all works. But I can tell you it has (and continues) to make a huge difference in my regimen. Being able to do 100g water changes (or 200 if I use both cannisters) in only about 10 mins without ever touching water is a great motivator.

70. Water change system done .jpg
71. Water change system done 2 .jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a master flex pump with 2 easy load heads on eBay for $200 that is variable speed. Got some tubing and fittings for RO line, put it on a timer and done. Just adjust the speed and time for how much you want to change.

I have one line to drain and the other to a brute can of salt. Simple, one cord and a couple RO lines and can be put anywhere in the house depending how you want to run the RO lines.

Relatively inexpensive, very robust system that is not complex.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How effective the water change will be? When changing 10% of the water weekly!
When topping off, water is removed the same time new water is added. How effective this will be as newly added water will mix and be removed? It may depend of the temp difference and the place where the water is removed and added. Using a dual pump, water is pumped in the same time water is pumped out. How effective the water change will be?
Using a 10% tank or container in series with the display makes water changes very easy end 100% effective. The 10% tank is closed off from the system and old water may be drained without effecting the display water level. After being drained it is refilled with new water and putted back in series with the display. The refresh rate can easily be managed. No expensive hard- or software needed. New water can be made in the 10% tank. A heater and aerator will bring the water to the correct temp and pH before opening the isolation valves putting the tank back in series with the display.

Randy has a good article about water changes with this in it. Basically the efficiency does goes down more water changed with this method, but under 30% total volume is pretty good. If I remember correctly 30% continuous water change is exactly like a 26% single water change so you lose 4% at this percentage. Being continuous small amounts eliminates the need for a heater in the storage barrel too.

HKAVR45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to echo those comments from folks who have a AWC setup. I will never run a system without it. I currently run a Red Sea Reefer 525 XL. The Neptune head unit is located under the stand and connects to a DOS via 75' USB cable in the basement. I have 1 red and 1 blue 1/4" poly tubing runs from the sump to the other side of the house in the basement. From there I have tapped into a sewer line that handles the waste from the RO drinking unit, RODI system, and the AWC. The system pulls new water from a 50G Norwesco container. I have the neptune changing out 1.5 gallons spread throughout the day. Waste is pulled from the sump's skimmer chamber, and new water is deposited into the return section. I do monitor salinity on a regular basis to make sure its not drifting.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a DOS AWC for a few months. As others have stated the noise was unbearable for me. At the time I was working nights with my wife on a days schedule. So there was no good time to run the pump. Switched to Triton and ditched the water changes all together. However, I’m thinking of moving back over after a tank crash. For me it comes down to finding a way to silence the pump or move it and my mixing set up into the garage. My fear is that I go through the hassle of moving the set up into the garage only to still be able to hear it. That and keeping my water in FL heat during the summer probably isn’t the best... such a shame. Wish there was a silent DOS

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS is noisy indeed. Mine grinds away in a basement sump room, so not a big deal.

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of discussion and comments on here about DOS and the noise. I'm not knocking APEX, if you've seen my setup you know I'm all in with them. However, I can appreciate how noisy a DOS can be as I have (2) AFS units and they are pretty loud as well.

I'm a bit surprised not to see discussion around using the Litermeter system. Prior to my fully automated system I used the LM3 for continuous water changes and was thrilled. Reliable, quiet, and easy to dial in. You can always connect it to an APEX head unit if 'controlability' is your goal.

More of a comment than a suggestion really....

STL_KR10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a noob question in water chemistry, but how do you guys keep your saltwater in good shape while its sitting in the containers all that time? It seems like most salts want you to use shortly after made, or if it sits to long it begins to precipitate., etc..

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant wait to partially automate mine but I keep procrastinating on framing in the fish room.

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know what your water change automation schedule is like. Swapping in/out 45 gallons with a peristaltic pump is going to take forever.

I'm at work so I kind of skimmed the article. So forgive me if I missed this. But how many gallons per day are you swapping in/out? How long does it take? Do you have both in/out pumps going at once? Do you remove water and then add it?

Next, do you wash out the containers when you make new water? I have been curious about that myself. Whenever I mix water I clean out all the salt and it takes a few washes to get 0tds in my mixing bucket. I'm tempted to just say f-it I know its just salt, and ignore TDS in the mixing bucket. I have a TDS meter on the line anyway. But I'm curious what you guys do?

If you don't wash your mixing bucket every time, do you wash it at all? Or after how many mixing sessions?

Finally, is there any way to throw an alert when TDS of RODI water reaches a certain level? I would love to put a sensor on my RODI line that emails me when water starts coming out above 0TDS.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try here,

I am looking to do my water change with the DOS on Monday's. I would like to change out 40000ml or 10 gallons from 12pm to 11:59pm what I have now is not working. Would someone have any idea what I am doing wrong
I have been doing a daily water change for the past 9 months and the salt I use does not recommend to let the salt for a daily, instead using the newly mixed saltwater in one day.

Apex new 2-4-19 3.png
Apex new 2-4-19 2.png

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a DOS as well for water changes. 50 gallons a month on my 240. I love the ease of it but the pump is noisy.

Corey

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a DOS as well for water changes. 50 gallons a month on my 240. I love the ease of it but the pump is noisy.

Corey
Clicking? or just plain noisy? The clicking can be fixed with some silicone Lub around the plastic covers. Put some rubber between the case a what ever the pump is mounted to.
Even at that the pump is still noisy :(

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my issue fixed now by taking out the set on statement
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 10.56.16 PM.png

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clicking? or just plain noisy? The clicking can be fixed with some silicone Lub around the plastic covers. Put some rubber between the case a what ever the pump is mounted to.
Even at that the pump is still noisy :(
Just motor noise, and yes, silicone grease is a must for any unit like this, and a lot of our gear actually. I'd wager 90% of the people cleaning pumps, etc aren't re-greasing O-rings, etc.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just motor noise, and yes, silicone grease is a must for any unit like this, and a lot of our gear actually. I'd wager 90% of the people cleaning pumps, etc aren't re-greasing O-rings, etc.

I have some engineered sound proofing adhesive sheeting that I am going to try deaden the noise.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore - HOW are you able to function and deal with all of those wires, like that? Now that would drive me NUTS! I MEAN it looks like fire hazard just waiting to happen, no offense!! WOW.
I custom made a 50 gallon saltwater mixing station w/ a BRS 6 stage RODI with a dual membrane upgrade and I added a Booster pump w/ a solenoid switch which automatically will cut the RO off ones it hits my sensor..For the return pump I choose the VarioS4 Reef Octo instead of a panworld pump.
Apples to oranges, you cant hear my Reef Octo pump if you stuck your ear right next to it and it was on full blast..

I use my GHL MaxiSA dosing pump for my Automated water changes.
The only reason why you see all of those wires running is b/c I am in the [process of recurring around 50 pounds of some old school Fiji live rock that you can no longer get on the market or you would see no wires. I just like my system and mixing station area to be nice and clean! All the best and Happy reefing :)

thumbnail.jpg

IMG_0794.JPG

Last edited:

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful when you put in auto-change systems. You end up "stocking up on salt so you won't run out". LOL....

Hey, on the upside, if Tampa Bay ever needed a 20% water change I've got it covered. :)

IMG_9429.jpg
IMG_9430.jpg

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, please excuse my door, need a new one! lol
Nice set up @hbrochs! I plan on running my DOS and have it installed on my RODI panel.
Have the NWS 1/4'' tubing that's connected to my Saltwater mixing station and the OWS line will run around the back of my house, just like my RODI line that get attached to my Apex ATK module THAT mounted on my 10-gallon Synergy ATO CONTAINER. Then I will be running an @AVAST Marine KALK Stirrer I bought an Avast Dispahrm pump which will also be set up on a timer to kick in a few times a day! I will have that all set up through my ApexEL controller.
50 gallon mixing station
50 gallon mixing station wire magnt.jpeg

Synergy CL-44 &10 gallon ATO container
51814860_1471695286298782_5275868969490710528_o.jpg

SCA Rimless 150
New Pix SCA150.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 45.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back