View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seawitch submitted a new Article:

Automatic Water Change #1

A drop of water.
drop-of-water-545377_1920-jpg.956309

This is royalty-free image from Pixabay.

Automated Water Changes

Automation is all the rage these days, with a sizable percentage of reefers believing that a controller is essential to the keeping of a reef tank. It's not, but it is a nice-to-have as long as you are sensible about what you expect it to do for you ….. and not do for you.

For those of us in the hobby long enough to remember when there was essentially NO automation, the things that modern technology can do are pretty cool. One of those things is the ability to automate water changes. There are few more 'drudgerous' tasks than doing water changes. So much so that a cottage industry sprang up to try to make them unnecessary.

The Triton system, for example, maintains that water changes are unnecessary, and that tanks can thrive with proper nutrient export and complete dosing. I've not ever tried such an approach myself, but there are spectacular tanks run on the principles of no water changes. Most of us, though, do water changes as both an exporter of 'bad stuff' and a replenisher of 'good stuff', even if the precision is somewhat less clear. So, if that is broadly the why, let's explore the how.

Manual Water Changes

The easiest conceptually, but also the most tedious is the manual water change. If the readers are like me, it gets skipped far too often and can lead to general tank decline (the mythical old tank syndrome). You need a few buckets, some siphon hoses, the patience to mix up a batch of salt water and a youthful back to lug said buckets (or convince your wife that you require a teenaged son). Turn off pumps, siphon water out of tank, add water back into tank and restart pumps. Gads, how tedious …. and completely un-fun!

Semi-Automated Water Changes

This is the approach I took for a very long time. There are countless ways in which a semi-automated water change can be implemented. My own was to add dual 40B tanks to my system which could be switched in and out of the system as needed.

img_1061-jpg.956223

Photo is courtesy of Simon Ellis, ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

While the main siphon drain was running through tank A, I would mix up a new batch of salt water in tank B. Once ready, throw a few ball valves and the drain was rerouted to tank B. Voila, a 36-gallon water change (I still haven’t quite recovered from the shock of discovering that a 40B doesn’t hold 40 gallons; who knew!). The old water in Tank A could then be used for a quarantine tank or just discarded. Once empty, Tank A was refilled with newly made salt water.

Automated Water Changes

Although not without some manual effort, the best approach in my view is to do fully automated water changes. The manual effort is mostly in the making and disposing of the new and old salt water used in the automatic water change system. There are a couple of commercial models available, the Genesis Renew is one such system that seems to get good reviews. I have not used it myself so cannot comment on it either way.

My approach, as many other have done, is to use a dual head dosing pump – in my case, the peristaltic Apex DoS. You can use a wide variety of pumps, from continuous duty units like a MasterFlex to somewhat less durable, but also less expensive BRS units. I went with the DoS because I have an Apex, and they make the programming dead easy.

img_1075-jpg.956224

Photo is courtesy of Simon Ellis, ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

I dispensed with the dual 40B tanks in favor of dual 50-gallon brute cans. I went with that size to make mixing easier. I now just pour one of the 50-gallon bags of Instant Ocean into the bucket and add the appropriate amount of RODI water – no more scooping, and occasionally inhaling, salt mix.

At normal salinity, the 50-gallon bags don’t actually make 50 gallons (can nobody add anymore?) so the marked line inside the brute can is at about 45 gallons. I have an aversion to flooding my floors, so I installed a couple of float switches into each bucket to tell me when the new salt water (NSW) tub was empty or the old salt water (OSW) tub full.

I also have a backup optical high-level sensor in the OSW tub, just in case. The NSW tub has to be manually filled from my ATO reservoir, but the OSW drains directly into my slop sink with just the turn of a valve handle. It is not necessary to have the OSW tub. One could output old water directly to the house drain instead, but I like to be able to eyeball that the amount of water removed is broadly equivalent to the amount added. Since I use the Apex salinity probe, I could use that to ensure that the salt level is neither climbing nor falling.

As noted, setting up the DOS is really very simple. Once calibrated, it exchanges the full 45 gallons over a period of 10 days. So, it's about a 15% water change monthly. The pump pulls water from the first chamber of my sump and returns to the last chamber. Doing automated, semi-continuous water changes isn't quite as gallon-for-gallon efficient as doing occasional ones (given that each change is removing a small part of the prior new water) but the differences are quite minimal.

~~~~~~~~~~~

We encourage all our readers to join the Reef2Reef forum. It’s easy to register, free, and reefkeeping is much easier and more fun in a community of fellow aquarists. We pride ourselves on a warm and family-friendly forum where everyone is welcome. You will also find lots of contests and giveaways with our sponsors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author Profile: Simon Ellis or ca1ore on the forum.

Simon has over 20 years of experience with saltwater aquariums. He has experienced first-hand the changes in technology through the years, and is happy to share his vast knowledge with us here. Simon will be featured in a Profile of a Reef Aquarist coming up soon.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, just to be clear about where I'm coming from... I only have a 40g DT and a 40g sump/refugium now, but a few years ago I had a 250g DT and a 180g sump/refugium. And in 3 months I'll be 70 years old. OK.

That said, all it took me was one look at the last photo in the article and I knew 100% for sure that that is not where I want to go! I had an Apex a few years back and after learning all that it could do for me, and how much it couldn't do for me, I sold it and all the associated extras. I'm into keeping colorful corals and anemones. I'll even keep a couple of fish. But the level of hardware required, space required and wiring required as depicted in that last photograph... count me out. And I'm no technophobe. I use data acquisition in my Toyota 86 autocross car to feed me all kinds of data about my runs at an autocross. It's the best way to learn how to go faster. But I can do water changes in less than 30 minutes with a Brute garbage can, a length of hose and a decent pump.

I'm not knocking this for anybody who wants to do it. I'm sure it's a good system. But in this particular case, old school works just fine for me!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only gripe with the DOS is the noise is awful and horribly pitched. I've had to build an acoustic dampening box around mine, even then disabling it during the overnight hours. I really had not seen much about the noise from the many that sing it's praises, but there is no way a normal person can stand this noise while running, even from a few rooms over.

I have been researching into other solutions than continuing with a doser being re-purposed into a semi-continuous duty cycle pump.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only gripe with the DOS is the noise is awful and horribly pitched. I've had to build an acoustic dampening box around mine, even then disabling it during the overnight hours. I really had not seen much about the noise from the many that sing it's praises, but there is no way a normal person can stand this noise while running, even from a few rooms over.

I have been researching into other solutions than continuing with a doser being re-purposed into a semi-continuous duty cycle pump.
+1 To the awful noise of the DOS. I have mine only run while i'm at work so I don't have to hear.
Same here. I hate the noise, but I run it when nobody is home and dont run it on weekends.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tech is a big part of what appeals to me about the hobby. Horses for courses, I suppose. The key is to understand both the things it can do for you and the things it cannot - and use it appropriately. Also depends a lot on life stage. I travel a lot for work so monitoring is valuable to me. Once retired, I’d likely make a different calculation.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to knock on the DOS, I set up my GHL 2.1 SA Doser to do AWC and there are tons of other dosers that will work as well, no controller needed and no extra wires or modules either (as mentioned by @ca1ore in his article). It's currently setup on my Nuvo 10 and I've definately noticed an improvement since I started running it:)

One product I didn't see mentioned was the Autoaqua ATO/AWC system. Which is another good (and affordable) option for those who would like to step into the AWC world.

Great read @ca1ore and an excellent starting point for those who would like to move towards other forms of WCs

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree its the loudest thing there is Especially when im doing 10g a day running it from 11m till 9am to tey nit to hear itndueing day but Mines in garage .no way someone can have it inside

Last edited by a moderator:

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to knock on the DOS, I set up my GHL 2.1 SA Doser to do AWC and there are tons of other dosers that will work as well, no controller needed and no extra wires or modules either (as mentioned by @ca1ore in his article). It's currently setup on my Nuvo 10 and I've definately noticed an improvement since I started running it:)

One product I didn't see mentioned was the Autoaqua ATO/AWC system. Which is another good (and affordable) option for those who would like to step into the AWC world.

Great read @ca1ore and an excellent starting point for those who would like to move towards other forms of WCs
I purchased the Auto ATO/AWC when I bought my RSR450 but have yet to install. The more I hate doing water changes the more I like the automatic system. I am very nervous of a flood. Until I determine how to contain a flood I haven't convinced myself to run the ATO/AWC, yet. I'll tag along for now, thanks.

hbrochs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7992EB21-08D0-4A4D-BA69-30ED65FC40DA.jpeg
I use the Litermeter lll for AWC. I drilled a hole in the floor and used 1/4”od tubing to connect to the basement. The pumps do make some noise but it’s not that bad, and it’s in the basement so no one hears it. The first pump takes old saltwater out and drains to a slop sink in the basement. The second pump pushes new salt water up to the display. The third pump moves water from a Kalkstirrer to the display. I change about a gallon a day on my 80 gallon display. The Litermeter divides up the desired water change into small increments throughout the day. I just have to mix up the saltwater every three weeks.

Last edited:

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How effective the water change will be? When changing 10% of the water weekly!
When topping off, water is removed the same time new water is added. How effective this will be as newly added water will mix and be removed? It may depend of the temp difference and the place where the water is removed and added. Using a dual pump, water is pumped in the same time water is pumped out. How effective the water change will be?
Using a 10% tank or container in series with the display makes water changes very easy end 100% effective. The 10% tank is closed off from the system and old water may be drained without effecting the display water level. After being drained it is refilled with new water and putted back in series with the display. The refresh rate can easily be managed. No expensive hard- or software needed. New water can be made in the 10% tank. A heater and aerator will bring the water to the correct temp and pH before opening the isolation valves putting the tank back in series with the display.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll stick to my Home Depot 5 gallon buckets in doing my ten gallons weekly ( which I faithfully been doing for the last four years)
It fast I can see what’s going and I get some exercise

Right on!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my AWC up and running today. I am very happy to have it running.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is important to not gloss over Simon's point about why he has an OSW container. I have always had/used controllers and extensive automation on my tanks as I travel quite a lot. While the electronics are certainly powerful and very reliable, keep in mind however you set up a system, it will need to be checked at least periodically. It is easy to miss a detail or have something go out of calibration and that can lead to both disastrous consequences or slow shifts or drifts in salinity that go unnoticed for long periods of time. Make sure to pay attention to what your automation is actually doing and don't just assume it is working flawless all the time.

Excellent article and thank you for sharing Simon.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd love to try this. I am looking for a second hand AutoAqua AWC. I think an influx of fresh water daily + regular water changes could only yield positive results!

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been using a dos for Awc ~1.5g a night for the last 4-5 months and willl never run a system without it. so much simpler (after initial setup) and i dont ever skip it. so far so good. waste water dumps into my homes sump put and gets ejected ever few days, my RODI waste water goes in their too. noise doesnt bother me as i run it from my basement from midnight to 8am, even when i am awake at those hours i can barley hear the noise unless i have my tank stand doors opened as the dos is directly under my tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back