Avast plank autofeeder into return pump

SaltyWalty

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 23, 2020
Messages
538
Reaction score
1,283
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an avast plank auto feeder and it won’t fit on the back wall of the display tank. It’s too close to the wall and I’m not draining and moving the tank forward a few inches

I was thinking about putting the auto feeder on the sump and having the food go right into the intake of my return pump.
It is an external return pump so I can plumb the food to go right into the pump and left over food will not end up in the sump chamber
My question is if this will damage the return pump or wear it over time having particles going through it a few times a day?
Will the return pump just crush any pellet food I put into it?
 
I got an avast plank auto feeder and it won’t fit on the back wall of the display tank. It’s too close to the wall and I’m not draining and moving the tank forward a few inches

I was thinking about putting the auto feeder on the sump and having the food go right into the intake of my return pump.
It is an external return pump so I can plumb the food to go right into the pump and left over food will not end up in the sump chamber
My question is if this will damage the return pump or wear it over time having particles going through it a few times a day?
Will the return pump just crush any pellet food I put into it?
my only concern would be getting the drop tube on the plank right over the intake of the return and as close as possible to the intake screen. Otherwise some food can an probably will escape and settle in the return chamber raising nutrients. you may be able to remedy that with a strong circ pump to keep things suspended in the return chamber though.

no worries on the return pump grinding up pelletized food. it will blast it out, but some food mulm may still accumulate in the return tubing over time and require a bit more maintenance.
 
I’ve done it with other autofeeding setups, where the food needed to be kept cold until dosed.
 
Anyone try this yet?? Im tempted... Im planing on rinning a pvc piperight on top of my return pump to prevent the food from settling on the sump floor.

I’ve done it with arctipods on BRS doser and it worked fine.
 
Yes! This is the way :) I’ve tested it and it works as good as I was hoping! I just need to get apex set up as the avast plank is controlled by it.

IMG_7020.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7021.jpeg
    IMG_7021.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 111

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new