Average SPS growth expectations

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first go round with SPS and yes I know that growth is species specific, but I'm sitting here wondering if you have met all of your requirements lights, flow water parameters and nutrition, what sort of growth can or should your expect.

I ask because I have about 10 sps frags for about 5 months or so and although they seem to be healthy, I haven't really seen any growth. I have had good growth from zoas and a few chalices, that is growth I can really see, but the sps just laugh at me.

So my question is what should/do you get from you SPS on average over say 6 months.

Thanks in advance.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can maintain good water parameters, lights and also flow it’s surprising how quickly they grow, but of course some grow faster than others,

I posted this a few days ago, but the first picture is as a frag after being added In January 2020

The second picture is July 2020

The final picture is December 2021 so around 2 years

CA22B0B2-2364-4630-86F2-F5C2231C7C5D.jpeg
3026A6B8-7AA4-443B-8820-B8546BF6589F.jpeg
49C1B871-0554-466A-A04E-CEAF84993D2B.jpeg

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's hard to say. First 6 months vs 6 months once established will be a huge difference. Sps can take 6 months just to settle in.

I've had some pieces encrust for the first year, like 6" circumference before shooting up i.e. vivid's rainbow delight and pink floyd. While other's hardly encrust. Once they settle in and get some size 6 months time can get you some crazy growth with lighting and parameters correct. My UNS was set up for a year and while I started with established pieces for the most part from my 180g it filled up quick in that time frame, specifically the last 6 months.
DSC_0011.jpg
75fts.jpg

RPUV.jpg

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's hard to say. First 6 months vs 6 months once established will be a huge difference. Sps can take 6 months just to settle in.

I've had some pieces encrust for the first year, like 6" circumference before shooting up i.e. vivid's rainbow delight and pink floyd. While other's hardly encrust. Once they settle in and get some size 6 months time can get you some crazy growth with lighting and parameters correct. My UNS was set up for a year and while I started with established pieces for the most part from my 180g it filled up quick in that time frame, specifically the last 6 months.
DSC_0011.jpg
75fts.jpg

RPUV.jpg
This provides me with an aspect I had not thought of and a question, did you mount them on your rock right off or were they on a rack for a while.

Most of mine are on a rack as I haven't quite figured out where I want them.
The ones mounted on the rock work are my oldest

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This provides me with an aspect I had not thought of and a question, did you mount them on your rock right off or were they on a rack for a while.

Most of mine are on a rack as I haven't quite figured out where I want them.
The ones mounted on the rock work are my oldest
I agree with happyhourhero.
I remove plugs when I dip a new coral so no matter what I have to remount it regardless. I choose to remount it to a small rock rubble and place it where I want it/think it will do best from the start. Then it's hands off for the most part.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my lessons learned too. I couldn't commit to placement and put them on the rack. They do grow and color up, but likely will be stunt again when I eventually decide to mount since it would be under different light intensity and flow patterns because of new location. And reset the clock as mentioned here. Now mount and hands off. (I say this while I'm looking at my frag rack with SPS I can't decide on.. lol)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back