AWC and a new tank: When to start?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up a new tank and I am going to be implementing an AWC system on it. I do water changes on all 3 of my nano tanks using a single 5g bucket, but the new tank is quite a bit larger, so AWC is where I'm headed.

My plan is to start the tank using "live rubble" from my other tanks, dry rock and Ocean Direct live sand. I plan to have fish in it from (basically) day one, and I'll start moving some of my easier coral from the other tanks over as soon as the initial cycle (if there even is one) completes and things stabilize.

Now, I know I want SOME nutrients to accumulate in the tank before a start moving all my coral, so I'm wondering where on the timeline I should start with the AWC. I'm worried that if I start too soon I'll never get the nutrients up, but how long is too long to wait?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can determine when to change out the water by testing. When the parameters exceed or fall below the recommended levels it's time for a water change.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a new tank I would do a couple regular manual water changes and start AWC 2 months in or so. Depends on coral and fish load though. If your loads are light no reason to start early. To me AWC is for diluting bad and replenishing good.

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get it mixed and ready to go and just turn it on when you need to, deciding off of nutrients till the tank stabilizes.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm wondering, though. Do I kick in the small dailies BEFORE I get to my target numbers, or wait until I'm there and then start the dailies to try to keep them there? I'm just not familiar with how well small daily water changes will "lock in" my numbers once they start. If that makes sense.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%

Back