Awc ro tubing 1/4” prefilters?

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Any recommendations on what I can use to prefilter the tubing in the sump for my awc with a dos? I don’t want anything clogging them or am I overthinking?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have avoided putting pre filters on my awc systems just because I worry they eventually clog and throw the input/off put amounts off. I just plan on changing the “out” tubing yearly.

OP
OP
D

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Oh ok thank you for replying: wow I figured there would be a way:.. my conduit has a lot of snakes and turns and it will be a task even if yearly HMM. I guess I can try running vinegar and RO through them with every 6 months..

burban94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume your awc wouldn't have enough flow to actually "suck" up any debris. While things can happen, I would make sure my exit line was placed in a spot where the water flow is calm. That should keep any heavy debris from being disturbed and possibly getting stuck in your r/o line.

OP
OP
D

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would assume your awc wouldn't have enough flow to actually "suck" up any debris. While things can happen, I would make sure my exit line was placed in a spot where the water flow is calm. That should keep any heavy debris from being disturbed and possibly getting stuck in your r/o line.
Cool thank you.. yeah im a beginner at this, I just got it all up and running a week ago...

So far I had one minor flood, not realizing my exit line had no prime.... now I have a ton of new apex logic and sensors to prevent that again :/

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd chime in, what I did was take a small 2 inch long piece of 1 inch diameter pvc pipe and drilled a hole in the top middle, the airline tube fits snug in that hole, then I took an old mesh media bag and cut two 1inch circles out of it and super glued them to both ends of the pvc tube. Presto now I have zero chance of my awc sucking up anything large enough to clog it, and ime the mesh doesn't clog up since you have so much mesh surface area to dosing tube size ratio.

OP
OP
D

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just thought I'd chime in, what I did was take a small 2 inch long piece of 1 inch diameter pvc pipe and drilled a hole in the top middle, the airline tube fits snug in that hole, then I took an old mesh media bag and cut two 1inch circles out of it and super glued them to both ends of the pvc tube. Presto now I have zero chance of my awc sucking up anything large enough to clog it, and ime the mesh doesn't clog up since you have so much mesh surface area to dosing tube size ratio.
Wow that is an awesome idea! going to do it soon

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic. Been in my sump for 2 years like that and as you can see you can still see through it. Not clogged at all.

16657671442098591651253958295985.jpg

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on what I can use to prefilter the tubing in the sump for my awc with a dos? I don’t want anything clogging them or am I overthinking?
I have been thru this I have 2 systems and both have dos awc hooked up to them. And both awc systems the dos head has been clogged multiple times from algae to even micro snails!!! I didn’t realize this till salinity was 1.028 when doing a random check then correct salinity for 2-3 weeks later same thing come to figure out the sucking line was clogged not removing water and only topping off with saltwater. It only took this happening to me 1x for me to realize what it was the next 4-5x till I fixed it. I found a company who sells mini cartridge style filters made from all plastic with plastic mesh screens of all microns. After installing this I’ve had no issues since. It’s kinda cool to see all the junk and dibris at bottom of the clear housing proves to me I’ve saved my dos from sure clog many times already. When I get home I can take pictures and try to figure out the company name for you. It looks like a small version of a di canister

OP
OP
D

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have been thru this I have 2 systems and both have dos awc hooked up to them. And both awc systems the dos head has been clogged multiple times from algae to even micro snails!!! I didn’t realize this till salinity was 1.028 when doing a random check then correct salinity for 2-3 weeks later same thing come to figure out the sucking line was clogged not removing water and only topping off with saltwater. It only took this happening to me 1x for me to realize what it was the next 4-5x till I fixed it. I found a company who sells mini cartridge style filters made from all plastic with plastic mesh screens of all microns. After installing this I’ve had no issues since. It’s kinda cool to see all the junk and dibris at bottom of the clear housing proves to me I’ve saved my dos from sure clog many times already. When I get home I can take pictures and try to figure out the company name for you. It looks like a small version of a di canister
That would be great, sounds cool... did it change your calibration at all?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inlet and outlet of the device is half inch that I then used reducers 2/4 inch push fitting so even if it is full of debris there is so much surface area for the filter inside of it that it will never clog

OP
OP
D

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The inlet and outlet of the device is half inch that I then used reducers 2/4 inch push fitting so even if it is full of debris there is so much surface area for the filter inside of it that it will never clog
here is my little diy out of a 1/2 threaded coupling, ro threaded connector, 225 micron Red Sea filter bag cut and zip ties.... I hope it helps and doesn't clog super quick haha:

1665865108543.jpeg

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my little diy out of a 1/2 threaded coupling, ro threaded connector, 225 micron Red Sea filter bag cut and zip ties.... I hope it helps and doesn't clog super quick haha:

1665865108543.jpeg
My issue with this is you asked me if it effects flow and with that my answer will be yes definitly !!!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on what I can use to prefilter the tubing in the sump for my awc with a dos? I don’t want anything clogging them or am I

1665865108543.jpeg
here is a picture of the canister and a picture of the spare cartridge with the name on it. Looks like vacmotion.com is web site
DCAB9EAC-C2A4-4091-813A-67C135DAED18.jpeg

Attachments

• 6A837D61-77A6-443B-B209-F59A0D4C526D.jpeg
    6A837D61-77A6-443B-B209-F59A0D4C526D.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
D

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Haha whatttt where did you get that??? Looks like a mini reactor lol

My little contraption has been running since this early afternoon. I was going to calibrate my dos for the two tanks it’s on in the am but if it’s going to be a maintenance nightmare gotta rethink this…..

OP
OP
D

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Haha whatttt where did you get that??? Looks like a mini reactor lol

My little contraption has been running since this early afternoon. I was going to calibrate my dos for the two tanks it’s on in the am but if it’s going to be a maintenance nightmare gotta rethink this…..
Was this the one?

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to remember or find where/what that is?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back