AWC with AIO - suggestions/ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup DOS on the AIO Fusion 20. A couple of questions I have outstanding before setting things for AWC. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.
  • Where would you recommend I place the waste water tube? Inside the tank or in the back?
  • Where would you recommend I place the fresh saltwater tub? Inside the tank or in the back?
  • Given the small volume of water in a nano tank, any suggestions on an approach on when to pull waste water out and when to fill fresh saltwater back in?
  • How do I handle ATO? ATO currently comes on every 2 hours for a period of 1 minute on the hour within a 24 hours period.
I currently do 5 gallons water change on a weekly basis.

Thank you

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the tube that draws the waste water from the system upstream from the tube that adds the new saltwater. Since you are using an AIO I would put both tubes in the filter area. I would then take your weekly waterchange of 5 gallons and convert that to ml, divide it by 7 (days in a week) which will give you 2,704 ml/day to change. I would then plug that number into the DOS for the whole 24 hours. It will automatically break it up into small increments over the whole day. (This is how I do it on my system). Your ATO won’t even notice because it will pull the same amount of water out as it puts in at the same time. (Just calibrate the pumps before setting it off on it’s own).

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat the return line like a dosing line, don't submerge it but drip it into the return section. For the waste water, I would put it in the second chamber.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the tube that draws the waste water from the system upstream from the tube that adds the new saltwater. Since you are using an AIO I would put both tubes in the filter area. I would then take your weekly waterchange of 5 gallons and convert that to ml, divide it by 7 (days in a week) which will give you 2,704 ml/day to change. I would then plug that number into the DOS for the whole 24 hours. It will automatically break it up into small increments over the whole day. (This is how I do it on my system). Your ATO won’t even notice because it will pull the same amount of water out as it puts in at the same time. (Just calibrate the pumps before setting it off on it’s own).

Thank you for the info. Looking to dial this in this evening after work.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat the return line like a dosing line, don't submerge it but drip it into the return section. For the waste water, I would put it in the second chamber.
Thanks. I do have currently return line like a dosing line and is above the water level.

Waste water - in the second chamber, I have a skimmer on one and other has biomedia. Based on yours and the previous post, it sounds like I may be over thinking things. I will try the waste water in the 1st chamber now that I have stared at it for the past few days.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put the waste line before the flow path of your return line, and in an area that doesn't have tons of bubbles. Not that it really matters, but you could be pulling out a bit less water if in a bubble laden zone.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put the waste line before the flow path of your return line, and in an area that doesn't have tons of bubbles. Not that it really matters, but you could be pulling out a bit less water if in a bubble laden zone.
good point about bubbles

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed after running the pumps for a day or so, the WASTE water out pump does not completely fill the line with water on the way OUT. This is not normal?

Also noticed the WASTE water out pump makes a different sound than the other one. don't now if that's the difference?

thoughts? thanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back