Axolotl eggs hatched

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also are under the assumption that being purposefully being released is the only way it could get out... escapes do happen (especially for something as large and strong as a python). The huge lionfish problem in the Atlantic ocean is thought to have been caused by lionfish being accidentally introduced into the wild during a hurricane, and some being also released on purpose. When people make laws against the possession of exotic animals in states with sensitive ecosystems, they have to work under the assumption that there are people who are either not educated enough to know that they shouldn't release exotic animals or that it may accidentally get released (be it a storm or the animal being an escape artist), so they work under the assumption that it can and will be released at one point. They then work under that assumption to determine whether the escaped animal or other organism could potentially be harmful (carps,caulerpa, lionfish, etc.). California is probably the most extremely cautious states when it comes to this, the only state with similarly strict laws being Hawaii and Florida (to a degree), and its not hard to guess why (fragile ecosystem). Nobody wants another economic disaster like the african giant land snail, lionfish or invasive carp. Not saying that the ban on axolotl in California makes any sense though.
You have a point there. Never really considered the fact that they might escape haha. I get the whole ecosystem thing but there are other things that cali laws don't look at that have a higher effect on the environment than a potential axoltyl outbreak. But then again I'm not an ecologist so what do I know lol

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a point there. Never really considered the fact that they might escape haha. I get the whole ecosystem thing but there are other things that cali laws don't look at that have a higher effect on the environment than a potential axoltyl outbreak. But then again I'm not an ecologist so what do I know lol

its an Axolotl it isn’t going anywhere.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how are the babies coming along,any more hatch?find food source?

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an accual problem there? And I have no idea either, especially if we were just keeping them as pets but whatever :p
Yes it’s an actual problem unfortunately. They are spreading and killing the native species. Even with a the hunters going out into the Everglades to hunt them.
Same with the lion fish down here...

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s an actual problem unfortunately. They are spreading and killing the native species. Even with a the hunters going out into the Everglades to hunt them.
Same with the lion fish down here...
Wowza! Just never thought about it.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: robocop and Clarence are dead. But more have hatched. Most were eaten by the axolotls.

please remember I am still new at this. Last time I separated all the eggs and did everything by the book and nothing hatched. This time I was trying to keep them in the tank as long as possible before moving them (kinda like how it would be in the wild) and I have had better results.

I honestly didn't expect them to hatch. So getting this far is pleasing to me.

next time around (they do this every 6 months or so) I’m gonna seperate them with tank water and see how that goes.

caudata has a great website for axolotls, so I do a lot of research there.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I feel a lot more confidant. They are all swimming around and eating the tiny brine shrimp.

if anyone’s curious this was my Axolotl enclosure when I first started

E744F261-ED62-4329-9278-EF404A2D75A6.jpeg
lol now there are no fake plants (because the last egg laying I took the fake plants out and left the eggs on them) and has no sand (I hate keeping sand clean)

6BB2175A-3D07-4C92-AE82-F710F26DB131.jpeg

U

User1

View Badges
Well....we are not so beautiful right now (thanks to the fires). So not sure what we have going for us at this point lol. Why they are illegal, I have no friggin clue. There are a good chunk of Cali laws that make you scatch your head.

Being that I am a Californian (21 years and counting unfortunately), it is by far (imo) the worst state in the country. Beautiful land, but most of the people are raging idiots. I have been to pretty much every state in the country (aside from most of the east coast) and have yet to find people as far attached from reality as the majority of californians are.

Why in Ca? Because they are detrimental to other animals should they be released into the wild. Well, pose a thread to native wildlife. I don't recall if it is tied to the agriculture side of it or just wild life. It has nothing to do with endangerment from what I recall and solely on the possible impact to native wildlife. If it is tied to agriculture then I could see why because that is a large chunk of California's revenue.

So while I do agree with our silly laws being over reaching and somewhat nanny related this one is a rather interesting one that I agree with. It isn't about me I guess but the law which I agree. Look at Florida and the troubles they are facing with pythons (although that also has to do with mother nature and weather) but still. Few other states are seeing issues along with California around fish being released into rivers because some people fished for them back home and that is what they know...

There are many other reasons so please don't hold me to as why or right or wrong. Just saying in this case I recall a story, and I can't find it at the moment, that said why. Go figure.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save the ecosystem
Wear a mask? how a about
Snorkel and fins?
Jump leftAnd jump right in
To Cali California
LunaticS binge

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why in Ca? Because they are detrimental to other animals should they be released into the wild. Well, pose a thread to native wildlife. I don't recall if it is tied to the agriculture side of it or just wild life. It has nothing to do with endangerment from what I recall and solely on the possible impact to native wildlife. If it is tied to agriculture then I could see why because that is a large chunk of California's revenue.

So while I do agree with our silly laws being over reaching and somewhat nanny related this one is a rather interesting one that I agree with. It isn't about me I guess but the law which I agree. Look at Florida and the troubles they are facing with pythons (although that also has to do with mother nature and weather) but still. Few other states are seeing issues along with California around fish being released into rivers because some people fished for them back home and that is what they know...

There are many other reasons so please don't hold me to as why or right or wrong. Just saying in this case I recall a story, and I can't find it at the moment, that said why. Go figure.
I see your point. Its never been a problem so I suppose we will never know the true effects it may have had on our enviroment so at this point its all speculation. My question is how can so many othersates afford to not have Pythons being illegal? I undestand it became a problem in Florida but what about all the states they are legal in? Like in Cali most counties allow Ball pythons (my friend owns and breeds them). Same with Axolotyls, how can their populations be kept in check in so many other places? I just dont understand what the logic is.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your point. Its never been a problem so I suppose we will never know the true effects it may have had on our enviroment so at this point its all speculation. My question is how can so many othersates afford to not have Pythons being illegal? I undestand it became a problem in Florida but what about all the states they are legal in? Like in Cali most counties allow Ball pythons (my friend owns and breeds them). Same with Axolotyls, how can their populations be kept in check in so many other places? I just dont understand what the logic is.
At least with south florida, it does not get cold enough to kill them off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back