Baby bamboo shark hatched with yolk

brayden2980

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I hatched a baby bamboo shark approximately two weeks ago and it had a very small amount of yolk still attached to him. He’s doing great and very active. The yolk is no longer visible but the cord that attached to the yolk still is, should I feed him now or wait until that disappears as well? Is he still dependent on the yolk nutrients even though it’s not visible, or should I wait until this disappears as well? I’m mostly worried and wanting to feed because he was hatched so long ago.
The photos illuminated with the flash light were taken 2 days ago and the one not lit was taken an hour ago

B741E75D-2661-4078-89E4-93EF088A7DB3.jpeg 12105504-21C9-4300-9001-0EF001DCEB1E.png 1207CA10-4564-43E9-85B7-136CF9C27ECE.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi ,welcome to the reef , I believe you should start to try to get it to eat now.
@Jay Hemdal you're thoughts ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I hatched a baby bamboo shark approximately two weeks ago and it had a very small amount of yolk still attached to him. He’s doing great and very active. The yolk is no longer visible but the cord that attached to the yolk still is, should I feed him now or wait until that disappears as well? Is he still dependent on the yolk nutrients even though it’s not visible, or should I wait until this disappears as well? I’m mostly worried and wanting to feed because he was hatched so long ago.
The photos illuminated with the flash light were taken 2 days ago and the one not lit was taken an hour ago

B741E75D-2661-4078-89E4-93EF088A7DB3.jpeg 12105504-21C9-4300-9001-0EF001DCEB1E.png 1207CA10-4564-43E9-85B7-136CF9C27ECE.png

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

My concern here is that the yolk sac may have broken off, leaving just the stem - that is an infection risk. If that didn't happen, and the shark just absorbed the yolk, there will still be some internal yolk that needs to be used up before the shark will begin to feed on its own.

You can try feeding it at any time, but I bet it will not feed on its own for another couple of weeks.

My favorite way to get these to feed is to impale a small live guppy on a thin probe. I used to use broom straws, but natural fiber brooms are tough to find now. I know people have used heavy gauge fishing leader instead. The trick is to present the shark with the tiny guppy, struggling on the probe, head first. I know it is gross, but the guppy movement gets a good feeding response if the shark is ready to eat.

Jay

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Really cool!

OP
OP
brayden2980

brayden2980

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

My concern here is that the yolk sac may have broken off, leaving just the stem - that is an infection risk. If that didn't happen, and the shark just absorbed the yolk, there will still be some internal yolk that needs to be used up before the shark will begin to feed on its own.

You can try feeding it at any time, but I bet it will not feed on its own for another couple of weeks.

My favorite way to get these to feed is to impale a small live guppy on a thin probe. I used to use broom straws, but natural fiber brooms are tough to find now. I know people have used heavy gauge fishing leader instead. The trick is to present the shark with the tiny guppy, struggling on the probe, head first. I know it is gross, but the guppy movement gets a good feeding response if the shark is ready to eat.

Jay
I watched the yolk slowly shrink over the two weeks so I don’t think it disconnected or snapped off, he was kept isolated in a smooth plastic container so I don’t think it could’ve gotten snagged on anything.
If he does eat before the internal yolk is used up, could that cause a problem of the food rotting in his stomach? I tried feeding three days ago and he ate the krill piece but spit it back up so I don’t think it will be hard to get him to eat.
Thank you!

BillsReef10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello,

This is so neat

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the yolk slowly shrink over the two weeks so I don’t think it disconnected or snapped off, he was kept isolated in a smooth plastic container so I don’t think it could’ve gotten snagged on anything.
If he does eat before the internal yolk is used up, could that cause a problem of the food rotting in his stomach? I tried feeding three days ago and he ate the krill piece but spit it back up so I don’t think it will be hard to get him to eat.
Thank you!
I would imagine if the fish were receptive to eating food, then it would already be at the point where food will not "rot" in it's stomach. Not that food rotting in a stomach is something that actually happens.

Otherwise, how would these pups survive in the wild where they are surrounded by food?

OP
OP
brayden2980

brayden2980

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine if the fish were receptive to eating food, then it would already be at the point where food will not "rot" in it's stomach. Not that food rotting in a stomach is something that actually happens.

Otherwise, how would these pups survive in the wild where they are surrounded by food?
Yeah that’s true. Normally sharks hatch themselves when they are starting to starve without the yolk and are immediately looking for food, so me hatching him slightly premature creates a different scenario. Him being perceptive to food does probably show a signal of need for external food

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

No, the shark won't feed until it is ready to, so you don't have to worry about the food rotting or anything.

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back