Banded shark red belly

Chris251

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo. I have had my banded shark for about a year. He has been doing great! But I recently moved and had him in a 180 grow out tank. I upgraded since I moved to a 600 gallon 10 ft tank that's 3 ft wide...

When I purchased the tank I moved all 600 gallons of water. Yes. It was a ***** lol. And moved my 180 to new house too and have my fish in there for a few days until my new tank has settled down some.

But now my sharks belly is red with a rash. I lost one years ago to the same thing. Decided to take him out and put in a QT and treat with NeoPlex. Is there anything else I can or should do. Do not want to lose my shark! Also attached photo of new tank. Still working on stand and canopy and plumbing but you get the idea

OP
OP
C

Chris251

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9509.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9508.jpeg
    IMG_9508.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 28

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo. I have had my banded shark for about a year. He has been doing great! But I recently moved and had him in a 180 grow out tank. I upgraded since I moved to a 600 gallon 10 ft tank that's 3 ft wide...

When I purchased the tank I moved all 600 gallons of water. Yes. It was a ***** lol. And moved my 180 to new house too and have my fish in there for a few days until my new tank has settled down some.

But now my sharks belly is red with a rash. I lost one years ago to the same thing. Decided to take him out and put in a QT and treat with NeoPlex. Is there anything else I can or should do. Do not want to lose my shark! Also attached photo of new tank. Still working on stand and canopy and plumbing but you get the idea

It depends on the severity of the problem. Can you post a picture and video of the shark? It may be difficult to get a photo of its belly though.

Is the shark still eating?
What is the water quality parameters of the tank?
Was there any change in the fish's substrate?

Sharks get this (called petechia) from anything from minor irritations to full blown infections - I often try to manage it without treatment.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank and location looks great. Ive seen this in Banded and its often due to stress and with new tank may be. Jay has more experience with sharks as I sold them but he manages them. Other thought was term erythema which is stress related. I find general Cure as a good treatment for sharks but the stress may be as simple as High Nitrate level

OP
OP
C

Chris251

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the severity of the problem. Can you post a picture and video of the shark? It may be difficult to get a photo of its belly though.

Is the shark still eating?
What is the water quality parameters of the tank?
Was there any change in the fish's substrate?

Sharks get this (called petechia) from anything from minor irritations to full blown infections - I often try to manage it without treatment.

Jay
Water parameters are the same as what he was already in because i reused his water. Substrate did change. As right now he is in bare bottom tank as the substrate he was already in has been put in new aquarium. But I wanted to let the tank run for about 24-48 hours before putting fish in

Yes he is still eating

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back