Baby hammer budding?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

Just noticed a little nubbin on the base of my single head purple cap branching hammer. Honestly, looks like a tiny mouth surrounded by 8 small starter hammer tentacles

Do hammers bud like this? I thought they split by fission.

Any ideas?

76D5742C-AC1A-4873-80C6-DF21959A5AC6.jpeg

BAFA720B-0369-404B-AA49-85BAE164E0A6.jpeg

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats your a parent !!! No they bud all the time , I clip them of and grow out my hammers that way , that one is in the flesh so dont cut it, when that colony gets really mature they will just come out the sides of the bone.,

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, exciting!! Thanks for confirming!

I’ve had corals in my 180 for 7 weeks, they were in QT for 76 days prior. EVERYONE is having babies!

3 head Duncan is growing 3 more heads. Ultra green branching hammer has doubled in size and the heads have become more separated, my gsp has doubled in size, the Xenia has split in half and covered 2/3rd if it’s rock, war Favia has added 8 heads around the edge and is starting to encrust over the rock, and now the purple cap is having babies.

Yay!

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

Just noticed a little nubbin on the base of my single head purple cap branching hammer. Honestly, looks like a tiny mouth surrounded by 8 small starter hammer tentacles

Do hammers bud like this? I thought they split by fission.

Any ideas?

76D5742C-AC1A-4873-80C6-DF21959A5AC6.jpeg

BAFA720B-0369-404B-AA49-85BAE164E0A6.jpeg

Yup, congrats. My hammer is pushing out a few new heads itself.

F32FA297-F265-4936-AE6A-048B415E87DC.jpeg

DawnfromPa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So exciting. That means your water quality and lighting is spot on. I have babies popping up too..So exciting. Congrats

DawnfromPa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think corals love the blue lighting so much. What do you feed your tank?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
He’s a baby, here’s him in my frag tank a month or so back. (I need to get a red lens for pictures).

My first hammer.
DCB7E065-6BF7-495A-B4A6-E307BB5BE649.jpeg
Nice mix of corals. My lfs has a ‘joker’ candy cane that is amazing. Bright green outer, fluorescent purple mouth. Insane. Was a bit too expensive fir me last time I was in, but my budget is back up. Might go back fir it this week

My purple cap hammer has short stubby arms. Did so in the store too. Kinda hoping it extends them a bit- the green really pops in the occasion that it seats just right abd the tentacles part just enough to see past the tips

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think corals love the blue lighting so much. What do you feed your tank?

It’s funny, because I don’t super like the blue. I keep my lighting right around daylight color balance from 9am to 7pm. 100% blues from 7-9am and 7-9pm. Seems to be working though

I occasionally drop a 1/2 teaspoon of reef roids into my return chamber right next to the pump intake to disperse it. Fish get ocean feast, mysis, formula 1 abd 2 pellets, two chromaboost, baby brine shrimp. I don’t target feed the corals but do make sure everyone catches a little bit of something during the feeding period.

DawnfromPa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think the feeding is key in combo with the lighting. Keep up the good work. You should have a colony before you know it. How cool is that? I think all of the reefers could teach the professional oceanographers a thing or two..lol. We could replenish the oceans ourselves.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think the feeding is key in combo with the lighting. Keep up the good work. You should have a colony before you know it. How cool is that? I think all of the reefers could teach the professional oceanographers a thing or two..lol. We could replenish the oceans ourselves.
I think I’m going to drop some mysis on him every few days, see if I can’t really perk him up

It’s funny- just yesterday I was debating moving him because he was the only one that hadn’t shown positive signs of growth. Think I’ll leave him be

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice mix of corals. My lfs has a ‘joker’ candy cane that is amazing. Bright green outer, fluorescent purple mouth. Insane. Was a bit too expensive fir me last time I was in, but my budget is back up. Might go back fir it this week

My purple cap hammer has short stubby arms. Did so in the store too. Kinda hoping it extends them a bit- the green really pops in the occasion that it seats just right abd the tentacles part just enough to see past the tips

Thanks, this little 10g qt frag tank is a trooper. Everything in it seems to do crazy well once it’s time for the display.

Hammers arms will change depending on the flow I’ve noticed. Mine reaches up in my display instead of outwards in the frag tank.

Yours will get big enough to where he has no choice. I know some people prune new heads to focus growth on the main head. Might be worth checking out, I’m too much of a noob to know what I’m talking about though. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to drop some mysis on him every few days, see if I can’t really perk him up

It’s funny- just yesterday I was debating moving him because he was the only one that hadn’t shown positive signs of growth. Think I’ll leave him be

My hammer doesn’t like powder food but he goes nuts for mysis. I’ve started to do target mysis feeding with him and some of my larger corals like trachys and lobos.

DawnfromPa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never direct feed my hammers. I just feed the tank. Everything has doubled in size in 2 months...and now I see babies.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed very strong growth after feeding aminos to my tank. Everything started to grow noticeably faster. They also love a good phyto feeding.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed very strong growth after feeding aminos to my tank. Everything started to grow noticeably faster. They also love a good phyto feeding.
Just so happens I have a gallon of nannochloropsis bubbling away downstairs in the fishroom, lol

Will look into dosing amino acids, thanks

DawnfromPa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys heard of dosing yeast? I read up on that. My tank is too happy to mess with that stuff though.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back