OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is awesome ,from fish food to promising brood!! quick thinking!!! ;)
Literally. After they hatched they were bouncing around in the corner of the display tank. Without thinking I got the net like before and scooped them up then was standing at the front of the display with the net and thought to myself now what? I had taken down the five gallon tank I really think it was too small of volume and the kreisel was in the cabinet. Standing at the tank with the net I looked around and saw the sieves on the kitchen table. Had them air drying because I harvested some zooplankton that morning. Light bulb went off. So I transferred them to a plastic cup and put the cup in one of the filter socks to keep the water temp the same and in 10 mins I decided to try the sieve/frag rack/zip tie combo

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must love these little shrimp because the tank is too full to move something without causing shading so the sieve is currently partially shading my hulk and indo pink tip torch and a black purple tip and purple with green tip

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally. After they hatched they were bouncing around in the corner of the display tank. Without thinking I got the net like before and scooped them up then was standing at the front of the display with the net and thought to myself now what? I had taken down the five gallon tank I really think it was too small of volume and the kreisel was in the cabinet. Standing at the tank with the net I looked around and saw the sieves on the kitchen table. Had them air drying because I harvested some zooplankton that morning. Light bulb went off. So I transferred them to a plastic cup and put the cup in one of the filter socks to keep the water temp the same and in 10 mins I decided to try the sieve/frag rack/zip tie combo

How hard does it have to be, predators aside, if a system is alive enough to multiply ...? :)

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hard does it have to be, predators aside, if a system is alive enough to multiply ...? :)
Apparently these shrimp are nearly impossible to raise in captivity and have only found a few people that have done it and none of them seem to say how they did it.

I read one page that said they can survive 5 days without food. Not sure if this is true. If that is true and they live 5 days then I will deduce that water quality is the issue prior to day five and 5 days and onward diet is the issue. But then again I have read that you start feeding them ASAP. So not sure. And of course the diet depends on the person posting and vague at that. Either way they have some pods decapsulated shrimp eggs 6 blend live algae and baby brine

I am going to look at where they originate in the wild and then work backwards and use that to decide on zooplankton but then again if these were captive raised shrimp I wonder if this would be counterproductive but then again the captive raised shrimp still keep their instinctual diet of live starfish so perhaps the instinctual diet of zooplankton is also still present

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently these shrimp are nearly impossible to raise in captivity and have only found a few people that have done it and none of them seem to say how they did it.

I read one page that said they can survive 5 days without food. Not sure if this is true. If that is true and they live 5 days then I will deduce that water quality is the issue prior to day five and 5 days and onward diet is the issue. But then again I have read that you start feeding them ASAP. So not sure. And of course the diet depends on the person posting and vague at that.

I am going to look at where they originate in the wild and then work backwards and use that to decide on zooplankton but then again if these were captive raised shrimp I wonder if this would be counterproductive but then again the captive raised shrimp still keep their instinctual diet of live starfish so perhaps the instinctual diet of zooplankton is also still present

I love what you are doing, always believe in what you are doing, I wish I was a brave as you. :)

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put me on a list if they make it! Lol

If not, I could send you 1000’s of star! Haha

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I noticed about my thread is I have not been posting the days. Last hatch was the longest so far? I am assuming they hatched after midnight on the 23rd and I think they made it till the 25th I think right before work at around 5pm? Starting to post the day and now the time

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sep 4th day 3 at 4:00am.
Will be day 4 Sep 5th at 1am.

Looks like all shrimp are still alive. The decapsulated brine shrimp eggs float for a little bit then sink to the bottom which you can see at the bottom of the sieve. I think some of the shrimp might be eating it since they hang out around them?

All flow turned off for video

62B6C51B-EA0B-4343-8766-CE6ED21F1EF4.jpeg

Last edited:

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fry is looking great!

What is the idea of the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs? Is the eggs food or should they hatch inside the container with the frys?
To me it looks like it might become quite messy with those eggs on the bottom. And I would like the food to be swimming or be floating around :)

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fry is looking great!

What is the idea of the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs? Is the eggs food or should they hatch inside the container with the frys?
To me it looks like it might become quite messy with those eggs on the bottom. And I would like the food to be swimming or be floating around :)
Read somewhere that they will eat decapsulated brine shrimp eggs but I am also hatching brine outside the tank and then adding them to the sieve after they hatch also adding some zooplankton to the sieve and heavily dosing the whole tank with six types of live algae. Can not find anything concrete on what exactly they eat so just putting a little bit of everything I have in there

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read somewhere that they will eat decapsulated brine shrimp eggs but I am also hatching brine outside the tank and then adding them to the sieve after they hatch also adding some zooplankton to the sieve and heavily dosing the whole tank with six types of live algae. Can not find anything concrete on what exactly they eat so just putting a little bit of everything I have in there
Great! They look quite big I think. You could try some flake fish food, crushed into small pieces, and see if you could see them grab onto it. Our peppermint fry caught flake food, but I can't remember from what day.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! They look quite big I think. You could try some flake fish food, crushed into small pieces, and see if you could see them grab onto it. Our peppermint fry caught flake food, but I can't remember from what day.
Cool beans will do

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back