Baby hitchhiker crab (porcelain crab?)

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this in my aquarium i while ago I was told it is a porcelain but if so what type? Doesn’t look like an I have ever seen before it’s an almost brown color with two front claws but also the feathers that it uses to filter feed. I have a much better photo and or video I think that I will puto in this thread later.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this in my aquarium i while ago I was told it is a porcelain but if so what type? Doesn’t look like an I have ever seen before it’s an almost brown color with two front claws but also the feathers that it uses to filter feed. I have a much better photo and or video I think that I will puto in this thread later.

Most definitely a porcelain crab. I have(or had) one that looks about the same.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks a bit like this and there are at least two and I even suspect there are three of them although the gorilla crabs may have eaten one or two as I haven’t seen them for a while. Just not the same color
1674716107855.png

However I thought all porcelain crabs looked like this
1674716230986.jpeg

Upvote 0

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks a bit like this and there are at least two and I even suspect there are three of them although the gorilla crabs may have eaten one or two as I haven’t seen them for a while. Just not the same color
1674716107855.png

However I thought all porcelain crabs looked like this
1674716230986.jpeg
That last one is a spotted anemone crab. The porcelain crabs that I've seen come in blue (purplish blue like the one in your first pic), green and red (sandy colored). I've also had some white juveniles, and don't know what color they would become, but haven't seen them in a while and think they might have been eaten. All of them are great!

Upvote 0

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, somewhere in the tank a reddish slightly spotted one with small spots kinda like this, but always while feeding in the middle of the rocks.
1674748907380.jpeg

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it has the waving fans, it's a porcelain crab. The white ones with spots are porcelain anemone crabs, but there are several other species. They should all be pretty similar in care, aside from the fact that some of them host anemones and some don't.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last one is a spotted anemone crab. The porcelain crabs that I've seen come in blue (purplish blue like the one in your first pic), green and red (sandy colored). I've also had some white juveniles, and don't know what color they would become, but haven't seen them in a while and think they might have been eaten. All of them are great!
If it has the waving fans, it's a porcelain crab. The white ones with spots are porcelain anemone crabs, but there are several other species. They should all be pretty similar in care, aside from the fact that some of them host anemones and some don't.
Thank you everyone

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back