Baby proof/ earthquake proofing tanks?

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and i just had a conversation and she expressed concern about the tank tipping over. What has anyone done to child / earthquake proof their aquariums?

LUKER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. If something tips your tank over, you've got bigger problems.

Grass Snake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to suggest ideas but it's hard without knowing your tank setup....
Corner brackets could keep the tank in place if it sitting on a table. If your tank is more vertical and top heavy you could use L brackets mounted to the wall for support. Thankfully I live in an area where earthquakes aren't a concern at the moment.

Last edited:

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Cali and have a red sea 750 and when there is an earthquake the water IS GOING TO splash over and out of the tank, secured or not secured to the wall. And if it is big enough to tip the tank, that will be the least of my worries. I do carry insurance to help get it all back though. ;)

OP
OP
Greatreefer

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to suggest ideas but it's hard without knowing your tank setup....
Corner brackets could keep the tank in place if it sitting on a table. If your tank is more vertical and top heavy you could use L brackets mounted to the wall for support. Thankfully I live in an area where earthquakes aren't a concern at the moment.
The tank in question is a red sea reefer XL425. I'm just wondering sense they have support straps for giant book shelves, Tv's, entertainment centers why not fish tanks?..

Cruz Mc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been debating the exact same thing. We have a 4 year old, a 2 year old, and a baby on the way. Our tank is around 100 gallons. Everyone that I’ve talked to says there isn’t much that’s going to stop that much water from coming down in an earthquake. It weighs much more than a bookstand or tv, so I don’t think the same brackets would work.

I almost mounted the stand to the floor, as I have a crawl space underneath my house, but decided against it. I figure it will only hold the stand in place and all the moving water will just topple the tank instead of everything. Plus, after getting it filled, it seems pretty sturdy. I’m curious if anyone has any good solutions though.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 88 gallons x 8 pounds per gallon of water we are talking 704 pounds that tank will weigh. The biggest issue with aquariums is cracking of the glass to to stress.If have a well made stand it will be very hard to tip of aquarium by a child would take of couple grown men to do it and it would not be easy to do.

Back