Baby snails good/bad?

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still relatively new to saltwater aquariums I have a 32gal biocube been up about 7 months now. I can't get a good picture they are so small it just looks like a tiny white dot of light but when I look close in person I see the 2 antennas or whatever out a tiny little shell and the bottom looks like a snail body.

From what I have read this isn't supposed to happen in the home aquarium it's a peaceful tank with no predators 3 fish 3 shrimp and snails/crabs. I was just wondering if this is a good or bad thing thanks!

OP
OP
P

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be the best picture I can get just little white dots I count 4 of them I can see right now similar to the size of like a grain of rice maybe smaller

Attachments

• IMG_20211118_150135.jpg
    IMG_20211118_150135.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 101

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I can’t see anything in your photo but my trochus, cerith, and nassarius snails breed all the time in my biocube 32. Unless they’re sundial snails (look up pictures, easy to identify) they should be ok

OP
OP
P

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool thanks I just remember reading snails weren't supposed to reproduce in captivity because the eggs or whatever get sucked into the filter and never hatch was wondering if there was something wrong so no big deal thanks!

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Baby snails are good if you keep them out of your equipment haha. I haven't have any baby snails yet but I've had those little white feather duster that grow everywhere and they are a pain to clean off inside tubes and pumps.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they don't move and are like spiral shaoe then maybe spiribod worms ( think this how you spell it) here screen shot from Google anyway .they filter feeders and apparently newer tanks get them then they self regulate themselves depending how much you feed tank and how much particulates suspended in your water etc.
Other than that from your description maybe look up " colonista snails "
And I've read many threads where snails in reef tanks spawned and reproduced and survived

Screenshot_20211119-012434_Google.jpg Screenshot_20211119-012822_Google.jpg

OP
OP
P

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the 2 antennas things and they scoot around I thought maybe baby Turbos I got a Mexican turbo 2 weeks ago(HUGE). But they sure look like that bottom right picture of collonista snails. The only other snails I've have are 3 astera or trochus (my lfs is just as clueless as me lol) snails and 3 cerith snails.

I saw a baby astera/trochus once and even small as they were I could definitely make out the pyramid shape. These are much more round like the collonista thanks great thinking! I will look into those not a clue how they got there haven't added any live rock since I first started 7-8 months ago and only the one Mexican Turbo in the last 3 months.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two small species of snails that people can mistake for 'baby snails' are Collunista (as mentioned in a previous post) and Limpets. They typically come in as hitch-hikers on the live rock and depending on the aquarium environment it can be many months before they increase in sufficient numbers so that they are noticed.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 29 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 71 41.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.8%
Back