Back Again: A Few Tanks

Reef Rhino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back Again (for a few years now) after a decade off ....
A quick history:

Undergravel saltwater and freshwater fish only 30G tanks in the 80's ....
Undergravel saltwater Octopus (Vulgaris) tank (30G) in the College Dorm, circa '90-91. (The high water mark).
75G Reef tank in the early married days, circa '99-'05, and then a house move into a 90g where it ran for a few more years.
Another forum popular in the day provides much helpful information.

Then the Dark Ages: Kids, No time, and tank descends into a Cess pool with two clowns until a power outtage of several days wipes them out.
Cess pool gurgles along for for about a decade. Wife glares, but still cannot bring myself to take it all down ...

2018 - The Epiphany - Restart the Reef Tank! Information on this Forum is an added gift, but didn't register until this year.
Covid provides the necessary home time to move everything along and the tanks proliferate ...

2021 - Old 90G is replaced with a smaller Rimless 75G (Thank You Glass Cages for the Tank, road trip, and tour).

Tank #1 is the 75G Reef Tank with 50G sump. Mixed Reef with mostly LPS, Softies, Shrooms, and Montipora.
Two Ocellaris and a Red Stripe

Tank #2 is Frag 14G tank, low-tech. Mostly a shrooms grow out tank right now.

Tank #3 is my daughters 10G, now a macro-algae build and experiment.

Tank #4 is an 75G sump-less FOWLR build in Year #1, and will have Softies, Shrooms, low light corals for added color.
Maroon Clown, Red Stripe, and a Lunare Wrasse. So far so good with these three friends .....
Some will hate the micro bubbles (80's throw-back) and the supplemental overhead light, both of which run for part of each day.

Tank #5 is a 2G, Office shelf tank with cute hermits.
75G Reef.jpg
75G Reef 2.jpg
14G Frag.jpg
10G Macro.jpg
75G FOWLR.jpg
2G.jpg

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back Again (for a few years now) after a decade off ....
A quick history:

Undergravel saltwater and freshwater fish only 30G tanks in the 80's ....
Undergravel saltwater Octopus (Vulgaris) tank (30G) in the College Dorm, circa '90-91. (The high water mark).
75G Reef tank in the early married days, circa '99-'05, and then a house move into a 90g where it ran for a few more years.
Another forum popular in the day provides much helpful information.

Then the Dark Ages: Kids, No time, and tank descends into a Cess pool with two clowns until a power outtage of several days wipes them out.
Cess pool gurgles along for for about a decade. Wife glares, but still cannot bring myself to take it all down ...

2018 - The Epiphany - Restart the Reef Tank! Information on this Forum is an added gift, but didn't register until this year.
Covid provides the necessary home time to move everything along and the tanks proliferate ...

2021 - Old 90G is replaced with a smaller Rimless 75G (Thank You Glass Cages for the Tank, road trip, and tour).

Tank #1 is the 75G Reef Tank with 50G sump. Mixed Reef with mostly LPS, Softies, Shrooms, and Montipora.
Two Ocellaris and a Red Stripe

Tank #2 is Frag 14G tank, low-tech. Mostly a shrooms grow out tank right now.

Tank #3 is my daughters 10G, now a macro-algae build and experiment.

Tank #4 is an 75G sump-less FOWLR build in Year #1, and will have Softies, Shrooms, low light corals for added color.
Maroon Clown, Red Stripe, and a Lunare Wrasse. So far so good with these three friends .....
Some will hate the micro bubbles (80's throw-back) and the supplemental overhead light, both of which run for part of each day.

Tank #5 is a 2G, Office shelf tank with cute hermits.
75G Reef.jpg
75G Reef 2.jpg
14G Frag.jpg
10G Macro.jpg
75G FOWLR.jpg
2G.jpg
thanks so much for sharing @Reef Rhino. so glad you got to meet the team. Such a fun place. So honored you let us be a part of your journey! Thank you!

OP
OP
R

Reef Rhino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great to see. PS: Is that a Lunare Wrasse? If so, he’ll get even bigger and more colorful! ;)

Yes - Lunare (Lyretail) Wrasse with a colorful personality and like a bull in a china shop, and who may need a bigger tank one day. Love the color now, and looking forward to the color change too. All is stable now with his friends (Maroon Clown, Red Stripe Angel) in a tenuous balance, but I just hope that he doesn't get more aggressive as he matures.
He is on my Terrorist watch list ....

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome :) Nice tanks!

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice setup. I recently just got back into the hobby after a break because of kids as well. Really love the rimless tank. I'm getting a 120g and almost ditched that for a 75g rimless. In the end, it was going to be too much trouble to get the rimless.

OP
OP
R

Reef Rhino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 120g is certainly nice and especially that extra width. Good luck with your 120g build.
I may also need a 120g for my FOWLR when that wrasse grows bigger.

I downsized from an old 90g, but I do appreciate the rimless look and the low iron glass. The 75g isn't as deep so I can reach the bottom better and to make up for the loss in height (3"), I elevated the Tank on a 7" stand on a stand. One result is that the eye is now closer to the tank bottom, which also helps. The added cost of a 90g rimless was extreme and would have required a thicker glass.

The 75g rimless did require an eleven hour road trip to Glass Cages at Nashville, but family live there and it was well worth the trip and facility tour.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back